Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Spoilers -- "Unexpected" $$$ (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spoilers -- "Unexpected" $$$
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are some of my thoughts on "Unexpected." As I'm writing this, I'm only about halfway through the episode, so my thoughts will be incomplete.

The alien ship really strikes me as being at least partially organic. The roaming-free grass is evidently part of the environmental systems (not to mention that their main food grows on the walls). There also seem to be water tubes with eels flowing through them (reminds me of Darwin the dolphin and his tube system from SeaQuest). The "terraphasic" coils sounds a bit unusual, and the warp core set looked very flowing and organic. Lots of green and earth tones in the set designs, too.

It also strikes me that the writers are trying to stick to a realistic portrayal of early deep space exploration. We've never seen any human crew members before go through an environment acclimation procedure before. That was interesting to watch, and it didn't strike me as being too big a drag on the pacing. It was also good to see that Tucker needed a great deal of time before fully adjusting to the climate.

The mess room scenes are really beginning to grow on me. I liked watching the buffet breakfast line and the exchange between Phlox and T'Pol. T'Pol is still quite a grump and still seems to hold a good deal of contempt for human cuisine. First there's the meat, and now she doesn't like blueberry pancakes. It did stick me as a bit odd that food is served through a buffet line, though. I was expecting something more like a cafeteria line.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dug the opening shower scene. It's nice to see a bathroom (sort of), and it's cool to see how far tech will advance -- they're still using water! Hahahahahahaha!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I liked the prologue. We've heard references to gravity failures before, but we never got to see one until now. Perhaps this is why an alternative is found for water showers? Archer didn't seem too surprised by the gravity failure in his bathroom. Maybe this was a common problem at this age in space exploration?

I still don't think we saw a toilet in Archer's bathroom. Are we ever going to get to see one of those things on a starship?

There's still some nice interplay here between the characters. Watching the final dining scene with Archer, T'Pol, and Tucker really did remind of how a lot of the TOS episodes ended. You have Archer supervising a trading of remarks between T'Pol and Tucker. Quite nice, actually. It's also nice to see that Archer actually invites other crew members to dine with him. This time Phlox got the invitation.

The Klingons are quite the hostile little warriors, aren't they? I guess they're still ticked off with Klaang nearly dying in a cornfield. The Klingons do seem to be quite trusting of the Vulcans. Seems that they do have a good diplomatic relationship at this point in time. This episode really shows off their aggressive nature with the "fire first, ask questions later" introduction to Enterprise.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: Siegfried ]

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
I still don't think we saw a toilet in Archer's bathroom. Are we ever going to get to see one of those things on a starship?

I assume you mean other than the one in the Enterprise-A brig.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

There was one in the Enterprise-A's brig? I don't remember that. I remember the chair that slid out for Kirk to sit on, so I guess I'll have to rewatch The Final Frontier sometime soon. Other than that, though, we haven't actually seen one in a personal bathroom.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
teraphasic: The prefix tera- means trillion. -phasic refers to phasing something. So the coils operate in trillions of phases?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That thing he sat on was a toilet. Complete with a sign behind it reading "DO NOT USE WHILE IN SPACE DOCK"

LOL

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

That's the toilet!? I've been watching that movie for over ten years and never realized that the chair Kirk sits down on is a toilet!?

I guess it's true that ya learn something new everyday. I had always assumed that it was a built-in chair that simply slid out since there didn't seem to much of anything in there to sit on. I guess being a toilet would explain why it looked so... odd.

--------------------

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Watching Star Trek V for ten years? Poor bastard...

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Hey, when you don't date...
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could at least watch 'Star Trek VI' ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just finished watching the episode. Is it just me, or did anyone else laugh hysterically when the Klingon yelled out, "I can see my house from here!"

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't call the episode an instant classic or anything, but we did get perhaps the greatest line uttered by a Klingon, well, ever...

"I can see my house from here!"

{Edit: Krenim, how could we possibly have done that?}

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

capped
Member # 709

actually for proper Klingon usage, i think its a proper noun.

"I can see my House from here."

There.. now its a classic.

I have noticed a trend in Enterprise, though... The show takes us interesting places for about 45 minutes or so, then concludes with a sequence of the bridge with Archer explaining the ship out of trouble. The climax of Broken Bow's plot was the temporal chamber and then the high council scene, but 'Fight or Flight'; 'Strange New World' and 'Unexpected' have all ended with Archer having to stand there, get Sato to hook up the translator and then Archers bullshits to get out of trouble and resolve the episode. I find it less than satisfying.

[ October 17, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

I have to disagree with ya there. One of Voyager's flaws was that there were episodes where the pacing was so out of whack that the climax and resolution all happened within about a five to ten minute time frame. Enterprise's pacing has been fairly good with solid build-ups and balancing that with the conclusion. Of course, this is solely my opinion, but I can really tell that a lot more thought is going into pacing these episodes out than some of Voyager's episodes.

Besides, Hoshi Sato was the one doing all the talking at the end of "Fight or Flight," not Archer. This episode it was T'Pol and Archer together that were talking to the Klingons, and the climax sequence itself took place with just Archer, the Klingons, and the aliens.

On another note, I think I like how Enterprise is dealing with the sensors of the main diagnostic bed. It looks like the bed itself may be rigged with basic sensors to check pulse, respiration, etc. However, the more advanced scans require the patient to slide into what looks like a giant MRI chamber. That's the first time we've seen this process, and I found it quite a realistic way of showing how the in-depth wide-area scans are completed.

--------------------

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps