Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Spoilers -- "Unexpected" $$$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Spoilers -- "Unexpected" $$$
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I the only one who laughed out loud when Tucker was up against the hatch of the alien ship and you could clearly see the grain in the plywood that the door is made of? hee hee

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, you are..
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We had the conclusion to a story arc with this episode. The humans and Klingons have settled a debt. Now, the Klingons want nothing more to do with humans. I wonder if humans will ignore this message and do an incredibly stupid thing. Could this be the beginning of the war between these two races?
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope so

And the best line uttered by a Klingon was in "Broken Bow":

"Stinky boots!"

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I think this episode lends more credence to the "disasterous first contact" ... the Earthers seem to think it was a success, but the Klingons don't seem to share the same view -- they seem kind of pissed off at the Earthers, actually.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just impressed by how phenomenally stupid Archer is in dealing with the Klingons.... If you aproach a Klingon and say 'Sorry to bother you' the Klingon will be greatly offended that you dont take him seriously enough to present a challenge and fire on you. Now if Archer had approached them and said 'Attention Klingon vessel! You will listen to me now, for I am Jonathan , son of Henry of the House of Archer, friend of the chancellor!" Then decades of war might have been avoided.
Maybe.
Bt the warfare doesnt start until 2210-2220 so there are probably other reasons

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh ... Mike ... they only met the Klingons a short while ago. It's not like Archer can go plug in old episodes of TNG to brush up on what not to do when talking with a Klingon!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
Member # 709

Thats true.. i just know too much about klingons to not be chagrined by how he addressed them.

He should at least watch Galaxy Quest. If he had seen it he would have made sure they checked the pollen out more thoroughly last week "Dont open that!! Is there air out there? Can we breathe!? Do you know?!"
And he could ask Phlox where his Thermian accent came from

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think Archer was "stupid" in his dealings with the Klingon ship; I think he is just incredibly inexperienced. Fortunately, T'Pol was there and able to converse with the Klingons in a manner more suited to their culture. I wonder if T'Pol in particular was chosen to be the Vulcan observer aboard Enterprise in "Broken Bow" because she has had prior experience dealing with the Klingons? Perhaps she spend time as an ambassadorial attach� to the Klingon homeworld? Just a thought about that...

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree...

I think he dealt with it the only way he knew how; a guy that is out there wanting to make friends with everyone that he meets; the way he would on his own planet.

Archer really has nothing to base his Xeno-Diplomacy on. He approaced the Klingon the way you would approach another human.

If he had come out and spoken to the klingon as if he already knew how to treat them, it would have annoyed me a little.

And I think that is the precisely the reason T'Pol was put on the Enterprise; tho' I'm not certain they had T'Pol specifically in mind .. only that they ensured a vulcan with travelling-experience was onboard to provide 'guidance'.

As we see here - it is a good case for the Vulcans. I wonder if she'll rub it in his face?

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: Alshrim Dax ]

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

capped
Member # 709

of course she will.. shes a real bitch, and my least favorite character.

Her reaction to Trip's pregnancy was incredibly insulting. If they ever want to make her into a whole character in my eyes, shes going to have to own up to the fact that shes being irrational and get that chip off her shoulder

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can understand T'Pol's remarks and behaviors perfectly. The Vulcans have for several decades been more or less repressing the humans. I hate to jump in and claim racism because that's emotional, but she and many of the Vulcans see humans as being inferior. Logically, this is the case because we're possessed of a "volatile temper" and "primal urges." In their eyes, humans are completely illogical and irrational.

Her personal opinions may also derive from her experiences stationed as an ambassador's aide on Earth. It's fairly obvious from Archer, Tucker, and other humans that they don't like the Vulcans. She's probably gotten a good deal of grief from these angry humans and that has reinforced her prior opinions. Tucker's pregnant, pregnancy needs intercourse, humans are governed by primal urges, sex is a primal urge (yeah, baby!), therefore it's reasonable for her to assume that Tucker did the coaxial slipstream with the alien woman. She was definitely wrong, but I can see how the chain of thought went.

She'll definitely be warming up (as far as Vulcans can, I guess). We already saw a brief bit of that at the end of "Broken Bow." We also saw part of her going out to trust Archer (a human) at the ending of "Strange New World." Hell, she and Tucker shared what I thought was a very fleeting moment of understanding.

One of the parts to Enterprise that I'm most excited about is seeing the friendship among Archer, T'Pol, and Tucker development slowly and fully. If the writers screw that up, though, I'll be really ticked off. So far, it looks like its stagnating a bit, but there are plenty of episodes left to watch this. I really felt cheated by Tom and Neelix patching things up after one episode, and Janeway and Chakotay rarely having those conflicts in Voyager.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps