Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Mother Knows Best (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mother Knows Best
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom, a non-fan with a passing familiarity with Star Trek (thanks to me), watched "Unexpected" with me. About two-thirds through the episode she said, "What's with "chip-on-her-shoulder?" I had to laugh, because, for the most part, I agree. Even given her non-fan status, she knows that Vulcans are supposed to be a logical, unemotional people. She though that T'Pol is just "PO'd." Indeed, could she be the most emotional Vulcan yet? Spock and Tuvok normally related a calm, collected, cool, demeanor that was sometimes bemused or ever-so-slightly annoyed. T'Pol strikes me as seething with anger and contempt. Well, maybe seethings is too strong a word; she does not really strike me at all (for those who say she is just another Seven Of Nine: at least Jeri Ryan can act).
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
perhaps they have a seven year period to go with the mating cycle.
Paul

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One wonders how they will deal with T'Pol's sexuality, when it is "her time." It could range from a classy commentary on sexual ethics and mores to a tasteless skin-flick.
Kalax
Member # 723

- posted      Profile for Kalax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm very glad someone has brought this point up. Not only does T'Pol's attitude border on some emotion, but if memory serves me right, the Ammbasadore, I'm guessing he was, in the Pilot Episode did seem to get rather upset with SF and there handling of the Klingon.

[ October 23, 2001: Message edited by: Kalax ]

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't the pon farr only happen to vulcan males?
Raw Cadet
Member # 725

If I recall correctly, we have only seen Vulcan males going through pon farr. However, I believe that it has been expressly stated that pon farr is a process Vulcan adults go through, and adults probably includes females.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I seem to remember reading somewhere that Vulcan females either have a shorter pon farr cycle or a longer pon farr cycle...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

To bring this somewhat back on topic, I am not sure if "Enterprise" can convey T'Pol going through pon farr. Our previous experience with the condition shows agitated, angry Vulcans; T'Pol already is.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, when it was mentioned in ST3, Saavik said that Vulcan males must go through pon farr "every seventh year of their adult lives". However, if it's the result of their pent-up emotions, it wouldn't make sense for the females not to have the same deal. In fact, Peter David makes great plot use of this in the "New Frontier" series. So the logical (HA!) conclusion is that one of the qualifiers that Saavik used doesn't apply to females as it does to males. So it could be a different time cycle: every nine years, or every three, or whatever. Or perhaps it doesn't have anything to do with adult years with the females, though the idea of a six year old having to deal with pon farr is a bit much for me. My guess is that the females don't have to deal with it every seven years of their adult life like the males do because they eventually (around, say, 160) hit menopause. Just a guess.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

My point is not to dismiss a character after four episodes; that would be unfair. After all, if one judged a "The Next Generation" character in episode four, say, Wesley Crusher . . . oh. I just do not hold out much hope for Jolene Blalock (spelling?) to pull off anything more than a stereotypical "I am inspired by that Vulcan engineer from 'Voyager' and that Vulcan Captain from 'Deep Space Nine'" Vulcan.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think only one gender could have a set mating cycle. Otherwise, there would be no marriage in their society. In "Amok Time", what if Spock had headed back to Vulcan, only to have his fiancée say "Oh, sorry, I don't hit my next pon farr for six months. Could you just hold that thought...?"?

Also, I doubt it has anything to do w/ pent-up emotions, really? Has that ever been explicitly stated? Because, if that were true, I can't imagine that it would come out to seven years for everyone. If someone was better or worse at suppressing their emotions, or if someone was more or less emotional by nature, their cycle would be different. It also wouldn't explain why they die if they don't get "satisfaction". I'm thinking it's just a biological thing for all Vulcans, regardless of whether or not they follow Surak-ism...

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

Are these many suggestions that only males go through pon farr (besides being unrelated to the original topic) a prelude to a massive "they violated continuity" rant when T'Pol goes through it?
Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Pon Farr was for males only. I went to my trusty Okudapedia - and it is not specified there either - only that Vulcan's in GENERAL go thru the imbalance of the brain.

Interesting....

On topic this time.:

I have said this before... In one hundred years, we, as humans, have gone from sword-wielding, war shouting barbarians bent on taking over everyone's territory, to a civilized people that TRY (That's the operative word) to avoid war. My point is .. we've changed a lot in 100 years.. things and our environment have changed us.

To me, it makes sense that the vulcans are not as refined and as enlightened as their post-masters like Spock, Sarek, Saavik, Tuvok .. etc.. etc..

They have to leave room for evolution. And at this stage of Vulcan history - they are not as enlightened as they think they should be; they know it .. and that's the chip on their shoulder.

I think too, that T'Pol is beginning to realize, that being a little reckless sometimes, with a little retraint at others, is going to advance the humies far more than the vulcans because of their willingness to go outside the rules a little. This would piss them off; I have no doubt. And because the vulcan are not as evolved/enlightened as the vulcans we are used to, it is obvious to us that they have a few CHIPS on their proverbial shoulders.

*In my best Forrest Gump Voice* And that's all I have to say about that!

[ October 24, 2001: Message edited by: Alshrim ]

--------------------
o::{====> Alshrim Dax <====}::o

~ Cry Havoc - and let slip the dogs of war!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But Vulcans live longer than humans, and 100 years is not a very long time for a Vulcan.

Now that I think of it, T'Pol *is* the first major Vulcan female we've seen, right?
Maybe Vulcan females tend to be less logical, like on Earth...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry I thought I open a can of worms but you have a lot more guts than I do.
Paul

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps