Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New Star Trek series announced! (Page 12)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: New Star Trek series announced!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
It occurred to me - and this probably won't happen - that you could still have a Fargo-style quasi-anthology show under the criteria revealed so far, all on the same ship. After the first series set in (say) 2255 (also the approx time of the TOS pilot "The Cage," and when the first Abramsverse film is set) you jump forward 15 years. The Lt. Cdr. is now Captain and it's TOS/TMP period. Another 15 years in season 3 she's an admiral and you're into the red film uniforms. After that you still have 75 years to play with before you hit TNG. When you want to you replace the original Whatever-class Discovery with a new ship design, same name, new registry (NOT NCC-1031-A).

Ay thankew. Great minds, etc.

Bryan Fuller’s Original Pitch For ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Included Going Beyond TNG Era

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"History never repeats itself, but it does rhyme." I remember the stories about Enterprise wanting to do the entire first season on Earth, a la " The Right Stuff", but that got torpedoed by the network.

Sigh.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mars Needs Women:
quote:
Originally posted by Dukhat:
Thanks for coming out of your seven year retirement just to tell us that.

Funny I was going to say the exact same thing about StarCruiser's first post.
I know - I don't come here as often but...
StarCruiser
Member # 979

- posted      Profile for StarCruiser         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep - looks like I would have liked Bryan's original concept a lot better than what we are about to get... Typical...
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the board can't take new members, then having old-timers pop in can only be a good thing.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is fine.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DHKyF8eUIAAkb5M?format=jpg

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, I'm fine with that. The show isn't being made just for die-hard fans: it's being made for a wider audience that will hopefully *include* as many fans as possible, but harsh as it sounds, we're not the main target audience. If they were to cater the show to die-hard fans (many of whom probably wouldn't be able to agree on what they actually wanted, anyway) the show wouldn't appeal to a broader audience.

You, me and others on this board might well know our warp plasma conduits from our warp coils from our intake manifolds, and it's great that we do and can enjoy the shows to that extent, but we're a small percentage of the fan population in general, and an even smaller percentage of the overall audience of people watching TV. I'm ok with someone acknowledging that and I don't think he's being unnecessarily harsh or disrespectful to say that out loud.

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

FawnDoo
Member # 1421

- posted      Profile for FawnDoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm actually quite looking forward to watching the show. It's been a long, long time since there was any new Star Trek on TV. Will I like everything about it? Most likely not. Will I have fun trying to fit it into the existing continuity and my own personal headcanon? Oh hell yeah. I'm enjoying having some new TV Trek to look forward to :-D

--------------------
Quidquid latine dictum sit altum viditur

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the Isaacs article: he did clarify his statement on twitter and says he never made a comment about replacing the legacy of previous captains. Considering the article was published by the New York Post, I'd take it with a grain of salt.

Oh and yeah, new Star Trek! Whether you want or not its coming, soon!

shikaru808
T-t-t-t-today, JUNIOR!
Member # 2080

- posted      Profile for shikaru808     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://youtu.be/BTd0S_ZXRs8

--------------------
"Its coming on. I just saw the wall move..."

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
https://youtu.be/Qv3YyhZEo4g
Alternative opening credits 😂

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, good God.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

becky
Member # 2187

- posted      Profile for becky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FawnDoo:
To be honest, I'm fine with that. The show isn't being made just for die-hard fans: it's being made for a wider audience that will hopefully *include* as many fans as possible, but harsh as it sounds, we're not the main target audience. If they were to cater the show to die-hard fans (many of whom probably wouldn't be able to agree on what they actually wanted, anyway) the show wouldn't appeal to a broader audience.

You, me and others on this board might well know our warp plasma conduits from our warp coils from our intake manifolds, and it's great that we do and can enjoy the shows to that extent, but we're a small percentage of the fan population in general, and an even smaller percentage of the overall audience of people watching TV. I'm ok with someone acknowledging that and I don't think he's being unnecessarily harsh or disrespectful to say that out loud.

COFFINS stuck to the OUTSIDE of spaceships....stupid...in battle Coffins GET BLOWN UP OR BLOWN OFF....stupid...they use tractor beams to get coffins back.The coffins are are racing away in an ever expanding radius...STUPID...STUPID..STUPID...BEYOND STUPID.

For me what made star trek be star trek was not having that constant source of conflict. Every scifi show these days has crew conflict. It's refreshing to watch star trek(not discovery, obviously) and see a set of competent, professional people working together for a common good. They may have philosophical disagreements from time to time, but they respect each other and work it out. That's the utopian star trek universe and I miss it. If i want inner conflict between main characters, ostensibly on the same side, i'll go watch battlestar galactica, dark matter, or one of umpteen other "dark future" scifi shows.

--------------------
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/432/armybeckyattacks0409201.jpg

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/04/09/breaking-anson-mount-cast-as-captain-pike-in-star-trek-discovery/

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can’t say I’m familiar with him, but he looks the part and seems quite excited to have the role, so good for him. [Smile]

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps