Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New Star Trek series announced! (Page 10)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: New Star Trek series announced!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"In the long run, most people don't want or expect new stories to be exactly the same as existing stories."

I don't think anyone's complaining about the stories, since we haven't seen those yet. It's the sets and costumes that are at issue.

"The number of people who would be interested in a new Trek series with cardboard sets and Jolly Rancher control panels could practically be counted on one hand."

I also don't think anyone's calling for equalling the production value of 1960s television. You can match the aesthetic without using the same materials.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone watching "American Gods"? I've tried and now I'm kinda glad Fuller jumped the boat. It's really tedious. Feels like an endless sequence of close up shots of whatever.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Premiere date announced: 24 September

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First look at Captain Lorca:
http://trekmovie.com/2017/06/21/breaking-first-image-of-jason-isaacs-from-star-trek-discovery/

So it seems that males have 5 shoulderstripes and females 4. Don't care much for these tiny stubbles on the insignia as rank indicator.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.inquisitr.com/4338306/guess-which-show-inspired-star-trek-discovery-to-kill-off-some-of-its-main-characters/

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's a look at the revised Discovery:

http://trekmovie.com/2017/07/17/full-star-trek-discovery-comic-con-panel-and-promotion-plans-revealed/

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Well, that's awful. I tried to defend the ship before but, ugh, screw it.

Edit: smaller pic

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm.

On the one hand, they actually made the changes I'd hoped for: Connecting the nacelles to the pylons closer to the front, and changing the proportions of the secondary hull to the rest of the ship.

On the other hand, I really liked the original saucer. The new one is... okay. I don't hate it, but I've never understood the recent trend of putting hollow spaces in saucers.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second Krenim's opinions, based on the poster shots at least. The more I look at it, the more I like it. Its angular pylons and secondary hull still throw me off, but that's more because it's different from my preconceptions of that era's ships, not because it's a bad design.

The saucer gap is definitely odd. But heck, it could be justified as a mass-conserving measure or something. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't mind the Bridge and Sensor Dome being in a sphere separated from the saucer. It could be a nice throwback to the Daedalus class. But I don't get why you would have windows in the inner saucer facing the outer ring. Your alternative to a wall is a window overlooking a wall. I do like how they added a protrusion to the deflector dish to make it look more period accurate, instead of the Enterprise Refit dish they had before.
Shik
Member # 343

Yeek.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wouldn't reduce the mass, because now you have to bulk up the structure at the four skinny points, you've added a large surface area that must be covered in exterior hull, et cetera.

I mean, a certain adventurousness in design is something that we've seen among many races since TOS . . . the long-necked battlecruiser, the Constitution nacelle pylons and slender neck, et cetera. Even the Vulcan cruisers in Enterprise with their warp rings secured only at the bottom were adventurously illogical, one would think. It gives a certain feel of tech advancement, stylistically . . . "we are SO more advanced than you" . . . just as the Probert-TNG featured all that curving and swooping in the somewhat bulkier designs. This was largely lost in the blockier late-TNG era's bulkier bulkiness, save for the unoriginal E-E, which was the result of a kinky one-night stand between Probert's A and D with sharp objects.

But then we come back to this. I don't mind a bridge dome as a dome-dome . . . that was neat on the shipbl teaser and I have dug that in other designs. But this ship is the epitome of blockiness, what with the rectangular nacelles and blocky triangle engineering hull. To then have this weirdness going on with the saucer is as irrationally incongruous as Church's sweeping Monsterprise secondary bits attached to a bigger, squatter, less graceful saucer.

In short, it fits perfectly amidst the crap that is Trek Moderne.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everything visually I've seen of this show so far makes me think that it would have worked better post-TUC instead of pre-TOS.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the obvious answer to that new saucer-design is that they wanted to show another ship similar to that design of the dreadnought in the new era movies. (yes, yes, kelvintimelina, bla bla..)

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is that ship going to fit in spacedock?

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps