Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New Star Trek series announced! (Page 5)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: New Star Trek series announced!
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll bet it's about how they broke the time barrier!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, it's about the Tycho IV dikironium cloud creature.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Y'know, I keep seeing Fuller talk about how "this is a novel over thirteen episodes". It makes me wonder if this is actually to be a series—several seasons over many years—or a mini-series—13 & we're done.
Scott Nixon
Member # 540

- posted      Profile for Scott Nixon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was thinking Battle of Donatu V?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It occurred to me - and this probably won't happen - that you could still have a Fargo-style quasi-anthology show under the criteria revealed so far, all on the same ship. After the first series set in (say) 2255 (also the approx time of the TOS pilot "The Cage," and when the first Abramsverse film is set) you jump forward 15 years. The Lt. Cdr. is now Captain and it's TOS/TMP period. Another 15 years in season 3 she's an admiral and you're into the red film uniforms. After that you still have 75 years to play with before you hit TNG. When you want to you replace the original Whatever-class Discovery with a new ship design, same name, new registry (NOT NCC-1031-A).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some more details on the show:

http://trekmovie.com/2016/08/28/breaking-bryan-fuller-reveals-new-star-trek-discovery-details-in-august-27th-interview/

Shik
Member # 343

So Bryan Fuller is out except for executive producership & has handed the reins over to two of his underlings who worked with him on "Pushing Daisies". I guess "American Gods" & the "Amazing Stories" reboot (ugh) are more important. https://www.outerplaces.com/science-fiction/item/13680-star-trek-discovery-loses-bryan-fuller-as-showrunner

Also, basic character descriptions are out; it's still a penisfleet out there: https://www.outerplaces.com/science-fiction/item/13687-character-details-for-star-wars-discovery-revealed

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I want to click on that link. It can't even get the title of the series right. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New trailer.

https://youtu.be/uOkN6kgxS4w

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The uniforms don't make much sense for the setting if circa Pike. Also, that's the Enterprise insignia, which it probably shouldn't be in the pre-TOS era.

I hear they want it to be considered as the Prime universe but the details need to be in the ballpark. Otherwise it might as well be separate.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Technically I would agree, but let's face it, the delta symbol is way too well-known by the public in general to not use. The number of fans who know (or care) that the original intention was for each ship to have its own shirt emblem is very small.

If that's their biggest continuity issue, I'm fine with it! (I know, there'll be others to quibble over. But this isn't one of them)

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the magic vertical line through it may be sufficient excuse to pretend it's, like, totally different and stuff.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, they go along with the original intention.

http://1701news.com/node/192/birth-starfleet-insignia.html

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently there was a wireframe of a ship in the featurette. Apparently it is the shenzhou

--------------------
Blaze da finest weed in da shire... I shake my trekbbs at flare.solareclipse.net

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

That's a cool bit of trivia, Spike! It just goes to show that the fan concept of continuity and canon is often built on nothing but assumptions and guesses, compounded by production errors.

--------------------

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps