Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New Star Trek series announced! (Page 8)

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: New Star Trek series announced!
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the uniforms are great, not the purple garbageman overalls of ENT, and not the gaudy jogging clothes of the recent Trek movies. If anything, they remind me of Battlestar Galactica (2003), more authoritative, more dignified. I like it.

Also, to those being disappointed the bridge design doesn't look like TOS, the bridges of the TOS Movie Era Enterprise didn't look like TOS either, neither did their clothes. In fact, any chance the movies got, they updated an old show thing; phasers different every movie, photon torpedo effect different, Warp effect, Viewscreen, etc. Young minds, fresh ideas. Be tolerant.

What's more interesting is if they will assume the old "monster of the week" format, go for the total A-Z unbroken narrative of Breaking Bad/Game of Thrones, or adopt some compromise between the two.

Also, maybe finally they will show toilets.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
The timeline divergence occurred when the Narada emerged in 2233 and encountered the Kelvin. Therefore the Kelvin and everything on it existed before the Kelvinverse was formed, offshooted, generated, whatever.

So Data's head was under San Francisco even when McCoy changed Edith Keeler's fate? I doubt that.

Put another way, if Nero emerged in 2370 in the Delta Quadrant and blew up the Borg, there would be no ST:FC attack on Earth later, so no time travel attack on Montana, no sphere bits beneath Antarctica, no signal to the Borg from the assimilated science craft, and thus perhaps no Borg incursion against the Neutral Zone, so no Romulan intrigue circa 2364, et cetera, et cetera, ad nauseum . . . (just deleted twice as much, actually, to keep this sorta-short). With no Wolf 359 and no Borg threat, the Defiant Class would likely not exist at all. The Kelvin and ots differences from Prime are similar.

Temporal STDs are quite virulent and disruptive.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great uniform breakdown analysis (all eras) by TrekYards, and how DSC borrows from several of them (including ST:TMP). Worth a watch.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, forgot the Franklin uniforms. Which as that vid shows is actually quite a good bridge between the ENT and Kelvin ones. And actually quite a good short concise Trekyards for once, sometimes they do tend to go on a bit and over-belabour the point.

I'm comfortable with the notion that the Shenzhou may be overdue a uniform update. It doesn't seem likely the show will feature many other ships (apart from the Discovery itself) so the rest of Starfleet might have the velour turtlenecks but we won't see them. I'd still also be very much in favour of an earlier suggestion of mine:

quote:
It occurred to me - and this probably won't happen - that you could still have a Fargo-style quasi-anthology show under the criteria revealed so far, all on the same ship. After the first series set in (say) 2255 (also the approx time of the TOS pilot "The Cage," and when the first Abramsverse film is set) you jump forward 15 years. The Lt. Cdr. is now Captain and it's TOS/TMP period. Another 15 years in season 3 she's an admiral and you're into the red film uniforms. After that you still have 75 years to play with before you hit TNG. When you want to you replace the original Whatever-class Discovery with a new ship design, same name, new registry (NOT NCC-1031-A).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If we want to reconcile the Discovery and Cage Uniforms, we could look at the fact that the TOS Enterprise's plaque labeled it as a "Starship class" vessel. Maybe the crews of Starship class vessels wore different uniforms than those of non-Starship class vessels,and the Discovery and Shenzhou are not considered starships at this point.

You could also look at the UESPA/Starfleet relationship. Even though this logo from Enterpise would seem to suggest UESPA and Starfleet both operated under the same roof, there may have been distinct divisions that lasted at least until The Original Series. Maybe Pike and crew were operating under the auspices of UESPA, while Georgiou and crew are operating under Starfleet. Hence the different uniforms. Maybe by the time Kirk takes command, the UESPA is completely absorbed into Starfleet, and the uniforms are standardized for everyone.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd never really paid attention to the Kelvin uniforms when I saw that movie. Looking at those drawings, though, I think the best thing they could have done for Discovery is just use those very uniforms. I'd even be willing to believe that they're the same as the uniforms in "The Cage", as interpreted by artists of the 2000s vs artists of the 1960s.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am old enough to remember when a misplaced pip was sufficient to make people grab for pitchforks. Why try so hard to rationalize this obviously ill-considered effort to ride the JJ coattails without actually using any Paramount property?

--------------------

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Guardian 2000:
I am old enough to remember when a misplaced pip was sufficient to make people grab for pitchforks. Why try so hard to rationalize this obviously ill-considered effort to ride the JJ coattails without actually using any Paramount property?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I got old. Well, older. I just can't nerdrage as easily as I used to.

I'm just waiting for the series to air. Maybe all of this will make sense in context. Maybe not. If not, then I'll see about the pitchforks.

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FYI, the name Shenzhou comes from the Chinese manned spaceflight program. America has an awful time rendering Chinese phonetics based on pinyin spellings, so to wit:

The name is not “shen-zow”, “shen-zo”, or “shen-zoo”. It is “shen-joe”.

For the correct tonalities, visit here; press the >> link & hit the speaker icon & it’ll play the characters in proper form: https://www.mdbg.net/chinese/dictionary?page=worddict&wdrst=0&wdqb=神舟

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
No visible rank marking that I've seen yet (aparrently it's pips on the Starfleet delta badge), though the Captain has extra gold patches on her shoulders.
Could be the shoulder stripes. Saru has 5, Burnham 4, and Georgiou also 4 and additional shoulder decoration.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really? He definitely has more? Might be a size thing, I dunno.Males are frequent;y larger, so have more stripes to avoid having larger swathes of blue in between?

Tim's idea is a good 'un. The colours are close enough, for one thing, though still mixed up among divisions.

As for why we're so unbothered by it all, I guess, yes, we got older. And wiser. And there's enough going on in the real world right now to want to seek solace in just enjoying some new Trek without getting enraged about it - after all, if we want to get enraged about anything all we need do is watch the news. Those of you on Facebook know Ive had other things to worry about.

And after years of relatively stable canon in TNG/DS9/VOY, things started to go rreally downhill from ENT onwards, didn't it? That show stretched it to breaking point, sometimes. Then we had the Abramsverse movies. We're all Old Testament at this point...

Yup, we're the Jews of Star Trek.

Nah, not really, but I couldn't resist saying it. 8)

(For one thing, I don't know who the Christians are in that analogy)

If you're on Twitter, @hollyamos22 is worth a follow - Holly Amos, who seems to be some sort of resident "Trekspert" at CBS. The new Mike Okuda? I don't know. It seems incredible to believe that Hollywood would consider replacing an Asian male with a white female... (*satire)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

(For one thing, I don't know who the Christians are in that analogy)

The people who are converts because of NuTrek. Like Christians, they acknowledge PrimeTrek existed beforehand, but it's been superseded.

As Lewis Black said, "....It's not their book, it's our book."

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Shik
Member # 343

A thought occurred to me: what if the first half-season or so is done flashback style? Like, Saru & Burnham are on Discovery, but current events cause lots of flashbacks to relevant ones on Shenzhou?

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

quote:
As for why we're so unbothered by it all, I guess, yes, we got older. And wiser. And there's enough going on in the real world right now to want to seek solace in just enjoying some new Trek without getting enraged about it

Straight up rage? Pitchfork jokes aside, that was always silly. Avoiding feelings of frustration can feel easier, I suppose, but it has always seemed to me that more mental effort is required to try to rationalize things into fitting when they obviously don't than it does to simply say "no".

Taking my experience with the Star Wars EU and its ardent adherents as an example, they worked very, very hard to ignore and reimagine the films and shows they'd watch to fit the books and comics, coming up with all sorts of ad hoc workarounds and ridiculous justifications. And, in the end, it was all for naught.

Now, maybe this won't be forgotten, and will take off and spawn its own spin-offs in such number that CSI, NCIS, and Law & Order will have to join forces to compete. But, even then, it'll be different than what it was, and it seems easier to me to preserve that distinction.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I nowadays enjoy watching Voyager on Netflix, even though I was dead set against it when I was younger. [Wink]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps