Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Picard s3 News [$$$] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Picard s3 News [$$$]
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly. I’m all for wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff but question its efficacy in a kids’ show.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, so Star Trek Day news…

- Bev is on a ship that is boarded by wrong’uns. The ship… it’s like a sort-of Nova saucer, but with two catamaran booms. The nacelles are outboard of these booms (rather than being integral like on the Steamrunner). A straight horizontal boom connects the two catamaran booms at midpoint, with a very smallish “pod” in the middle. It’s on this pod that the baddies’ ship docks. The ships name appears to be USS L… something, maybe seven or eight letters.
- There is a new USS Titan. It’s a classic-configuration ship designed by Bill Krause who designed the TOS Stargazer. Terry Matalas calls it the Titan-A - God, I hope fucking not. He also refers to it as a “neo-Constitution” (neocon?!).
- And it appears to be under the command of one Commander… Hansen? O’Nine? Yes, her.
- Also seen: a two-nacelle version of some STO ship - the Sagan-class? - called the Echelon-class. From Dave Blass, there are two of these in the show:

USS Cole NCC-97938
USS Sternbach NCC-97651

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The small catamaran ship is a reuse of that one Eaves designed early on for STO: https://startrekships.tumblr.com/image/145521068734

The other ship IS the Titan-A, & is a modification of Bill Krause's USS Shangri-La, done BY Bill per his Instagram: http://shipschematics.net/startrek/images/federation/cruiser_shangrila.jpg

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
Member # 393

Is there a visible registry with NCC-80102*-A?

* or whichever it was.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first shot of the Catamaran ship, from the rear, I thought it was an NX-Class.

I ... loathe both the design of the Titan, and also that it's an -A. I mind the addition of letters to registry in Discovery much less because we've gone well forward in time, but I really just don't care for the use in TNG/DS9/VOY-era Trek.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Member # 343

No ship but Enterprise should have a suffix.

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Hard agree. Maybe we’ll get lucky, maybe calling it the Titan-A is just shorthand that’s become common among the production staff. Giving the Discovery a suffix was weird (and massively complicates fitting “Calypso” into the canon, if that’s even something they’re pretending to intend to do at some point) but relatively minor by Disco-howler standards.

And it’s not even correct, really. There was another Titan before the Luna-class one. But it’s hard to care, it’s PIC after all and the omens aren’t good for s3 being any better than the other two…

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Per Krause on Twitter, Matalas basically asked him at one point what the Shangri-La would look like with STP nacelles, and that basically became the ship.

All those years of careful maintenance of the future period-piece, and it just takes one guy to be like "hey, that tall-sailed wooden ship would look sweet with F-35s taking off from it."

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In my opinion Matalas should've stayed away from the treknological parts of PIC.

I had my first doubts about him when he claimed that the new Stargazer was a refit of the old Stargazer. And now he seems to be the main force behind the anachronistic Titan-A.

Slapping PIC nacelles on a TMP design, naming it Constitution III class because you're a fan of the Constition class and adding an A suffix for good measure is just an asinine way to design a (hero) starship.

He also claims that Beverly's ship is an old TNG vessel even though it looks very much 25th century-ish.

He also gives a rather petulant impression on Twitter and Facebook and doesn't take well to criticism, even constructive one. So I must wonder if Bass, Drexler, and Krause are really totally on board with his vision or were simply overruled and now have to put a good face on the matter.

quote:
Maybe we’ll get lucky, maybe calling it the Titan-A is just shorthand that’s become common among the production staff.
Bill Krause has already confirmed NCC-80102-A on Facebook.

quote:
No ship but Enterprise should have a suffix.
I'm not totally against suffixes for other ships, but they should be earned. And I didn't get the impression that Riker and his Titan earned this privilege.

quote:
Also seen: a two-nacelle version of some STO ship - the Sagan-class? - called the Echelon-class
Pretty lame.
Lee
Member # 393

Oh yeah - it starts February 16 in the US, or 17 February for the rest of us, presumably still on Prime unless they pull it two days before - of course, they’d never do THAT!

I guess worst case scenario, we get a “proper TNG send-off” that leaves us wishing they’d just left it as it was, with Nemesis their swan-song. A bit like how the whole SW sequel trilogy really needn’t have happened at all…

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

-

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

Now Matalas is saying it’s a refit Constitution Refit. A Constitution Refit Refit!

I feel like that battle droid in Episode 1, saying “Coruscant? That doesn’t compute…”

[EDIT]

Oh God. It’s just occurred to me. They said we’d see AN Enterprise. Suppose… you don’t think they… we don’t KNOW what happened to the 1701-A… surely not?

--------------------

Shik
Member # 343

Given their hard-on for using those hopelessly ugly STO designs, I'm 1000% certain it's gonna be their hideous af Enterprise-F concept.

--------------------

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Now Matalas is saying it’s a refit Constitution Refit. A Constitution Refit Refit!

Bonkers.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps