Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Krenim vs. The Alpha and Beta Quadrants! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Krenim vs. The Alpha and Beta Quadrants!
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Were the Romulans part of the conspiracy, any more than the Feds were? I mean, Colonel West and Admiral, um... Brock Peters... were part of the conspiracy, but that doesn't mean you'd say Starfleet was part of it. Same w/ the Romulans, I'd think. That one ambassador was part of it, but not the whole Rommie government.

------------------
"Numerous painful experiences can be caused by having (and especially using) a large penis."
-J. Ralf Lenz, president, Large Penis Support Group

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if either the UFP or the Klingon Empire believed that, I have a wormhole to sell them.

In other words, from our supposedly objective perspective, we know that the Romulans have been actively working to encourage hostilities between the Federation and the Klingons for a long time. It seems clear that we're meant to connect the dots here and see the ambassador as part of a larger Romulan plan.

Even if this isn't true, it would certainly be an assumption that the parties involved would make.

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In any case, the TOS movie era would be the ideal time for the Romulans to begin an expansion. They could have gotten warp (or "advanced warp") during TOS, used it to finally explore the nooks and crannies of the vast sublight empire they had inside the RNZ, and then realized the RNZ wasn't that vast after all. By the movies, they would begin to try to break out of their prison.

They'd try to form alliances, first with the Klingons and then with the UFP. When that didn't help enough, they'd go aggressive (perhaps in the Tomed incident) and expand in directions not yet physically blocked by the Feds or the Klingons. The Feds would choose not to go to war over these volumes of space if they didn't have to, since the Romulans would indicate willingness to settle for a simple renegotiation of the RNZ boundaries.

In any case, the original strictly enforced RNZ siege was gone by ST6, since there WAS such a thing as a Romulan ambassador. It was probably not truly enforced in the first place, though, if the Klingons could go in and enter an alliance. But none of this would seem to directly preclude the existence of an all-englobing RNZ prior to TNG, or a possibly enlarged all-encompassing RNZ in TNG and later shows.

Timo Saloniemi

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tim: What's the distance from 107 Piscium to Earth?

------------------
The above post was mulled-over, composed, and posted during time Tom would have better spent on his plethora of homework and homework-related exercises. Now don't you feel special?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
107 Piscium (which, it seems, is also known as DM+19�279) is about 21.8ly from Earth and about 15.4ly from 40-Eridani.

------------------
"Numerous painful experiences can be caused by having (and especially using) a large penis."
-J. Ralf Lenz, president, Large Penis Support Group

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like the sound of that...

FWIW, I imagine the NZ would be closer to Romulus than to Earth, considering Earth was the victorious power. It still means that the EE had to run like hell for several days to intercept the Borg at Earth in First Contact, but I can live w/that.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Diane Duane fans among us will place Romulus at 128 Trianguli. But since the northern constellation Triangulum is "south" of Sol and we want something "northeast", as per all the semi-official maps, it might be better to use Triangulum Australe, visible in the southern hemisphere and very nicely "northeast" from Sol.

Triangulum Australe is even in the galactic plane, near Alpha Centauri. And didn't the Romulans reside in Alpha Centauri in the "Past Tense" alternate timeline? This could suggest they came from that general direction and hadn't reached Earth yet in that timeline.

There are plenty of suitable stars in the Tri Australe constellation - it's one of those constellations that displays "asterism", that is, most of the stars are actually located near each other instead of just happening to be in the same direction when viewed from Earth. The closest stars would be somewhere in the dozen-ly range, and then it's a steady progression to hundreds of lightyears.

I think Tri Australe is wonderful as the location of Romulan space in every respect. And just because there isn't a 128 Tri there yet doesn't mean we couldn't name one of the dimmer stars thusly...

Timo Saloniemi

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I finally finished the giant grid!

The Giant Grid

1 pixel = 10 ly.
1 square = 1000 ly.

Now... What goes where?

------------------
"Not so fast, Space Clown! My time-space manipulator has assembled an army of invisible cavemen to block your reverse polarity ray!"

- Future Man, Curses, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

If the yellow dot is Cardassia and its >1000 ly away, then it would appear there's a problem.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

I don't know that that's actually supposed to be the planet. The planet is probably just supposed to lie somewhere along that line. At least, I hope so...

------------------
"This is Major Tom to ground control. I'm stepping through the door, and I'm floating in a most peculiar way. And the stars look very different today..."
-David Bowie, "Space Oddity"

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dots (except for the white one, Earth) are irrelevant.

------------------
"Not so fast, Space Clown! My time-space manipulator has assembled an army of invisible cavemen to block your reverse polarity ray!"

- Future Man, Curses, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

Of course, in assuming that the Federation is a solid spheroid with a 4000ly radius, Cardassia/Bajor is still at best 6000ly from Earth if it was on that line. Which is almost 1000 times too far, "Deep Space" Nine or not.

------------------

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited June 05, 2000).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps