Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Logan talks Trek X again (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Logan talks Trek X again
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Logan, who has written three treatments and was due to deliver his first draft of 'Trek X' just before the threatened writer's strike, said he can't confirm or deny any of so-called the internet rumors "I could, but then they'd hunt me down and kill me" he jokes "I hope we are recapturing some of the spirit of First Contact and The Wrath of Khan, in terms of this [being] a big old adventure movie. While some elements are incredible character-driven, I hope those won't exclude the general audience. Or it will be 'the worst of time', believe me !"

-section31.com

is it me or does it sound like this movie may be the best trek film? (FC and TWoK are my faves)

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, having never seen any of John Logan's previous work, I can't comment on the abilities and talent of this particular writer. However, I hear that he is a Star Trek fan, so at the least the spirit of the common fans are being instilled in the script (I hope).

My two favorite Trek movies are The Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country. Both of these were good and solid adventure movies that blended action sequences with character-focused elements. And I don't think they were done in such a way as to exclude the general audience. I got one of my friends hooked on Trek after dragging him to TUC with me. I think Logan is on a good path as long as he do an effective balancing of the two and that the higher-ups don't force excessive rewrites that could waterdown the script or otherwise harm it (my biggest complain with Insurrection).

But, if you don't like the long drawn-out narrative, just remember this oversimplified axium: even-numbered Trek films are good and odd-numbered Trek films are bad. However, I should point out that 10 is equal to 5 times 2 (need I go into The Final Frontier? ). But seriously, I'm looking forward to Trek X.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or 2 times 5 - 5 lots of TWOK!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find that the best Trek movies are the even numbered ones. II was great because of the action between the ships and between Kirk and Khan. IV has great as a comedy and reliever from the previous movies. VI was great because of its relations to the current events. VIII ws great for much the same reasons as II. And finally, I believe the X will be great for the same reasons as II and VIII. I'm not saying the odd numbered movies were bad, just that the even numbered ones were the best. TMP was okay, but was too much waiting for something to happen, which IMO is unlike Trek. III was decent as was VII. But V and IX were not up to par with the rest.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I find that the best Trek movies are the even numbered ones."

Possibly the most controversial opinion to ever be posted on a Star Trek forum.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know, Liam. I think the "Stewart versus Shatner: Who Would You Rather See Naked" argument is more controversial.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Obviously, I have some pretty non-standard opinions about Trek, but TMP is probably my favorite of the Films, and I also didn't dislike TFF very much at all. I thought it was a good Trek film.

And what was wrong w/Generations?

The only Trek film I've seen that I truly haven't liked is Insurrection and even THAT was tolerable. I'm not incredibly fond of TVH, simply because it was a bit silly, but I think the Trek movies have mostly all been good.

But I hope they never make DS9 or Voyager movies. (Well, maybe DS9 wouldn't be that bad.) Those series just don't have the same sort of enjoyability as TOS and TNG, IMHO.

All in all, I don't think it's fair to say that only the even numbered Treks were any good.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Since it looks like this may go into a discussion of the merits of the "even=good; odd=bad" axiom, I'll throw in my two cents.

The Motion Picture: I really enjoyed this movie, but I felt that there were a lot of parts that were just too drawn out. Paramount really wanted to show off the special effects, so we have the long sequence of the Enterprise entering the VGER cloud. Add to that, some the acting was a bit stiff. As someone said earlier, it was like everyone went into really super-serious mode. One of the things I loved most about this movie was the travel pod tour around the new Enterprise. I really wish something like this had been put into First Contact when the Enterprise-E appeared.

The Wrath of Khan: my favorite of the movies to date. Superb acting and an epic feel and quality to it. I think the script was great and Nick Meyers did an excellent directing job. It was based on a TOS episode, but the nature of the story didn't exclude a general audience which may not have seen "Space Seed." And in probably the most poignant of Star Trek moments, there was the self-sacrifice made by Spock.

The Search for Spock: the was a really good movie, too. I think the rationale Harve Bennett came up with to resurrect Spock was interesting and not some tired old idea of a ghostlike Spock haunting Genesis. I really wish that Kirstie Alley had returned as Saavik, but Robin Curtis did a pretty all right job. The beginning of the film was slow what with McCoy being crazy, but the film picked up after Kirk busted him out of the brig.

The Voyage Home: this was an all right film, but it's not really one of my favorites. I felt that some of the comedic elements were too overdone. But I give Leonard Nimoy mega kudos for retaining the soul of Spock but making him seem like a different person. It was fun watching him renew his friendships with the crew.

The Final Frontier: this was an okay movie, but gosh did it have some problems. The story wasn't all that good, in my opinion. And throwing in Sybok being Spock's brother wasn't a great idea. With some fine-tuning, I think this film could have been much better. I hear that the DVD version is tackling a lot of the problems effects-wise that plagued the film. Can't wait to see it.

The Undiscovered Country: I think this was an excellent send-off to the original cast. It was nice to see an Enterprise crew member move beyond the Enterprise (Sulu), and I liked how Kirk was forced to confront his feelings of the Klingons and the death of his son. This was something that The Final Frontier missed the boat on completely. I think Chang made a worthy adversary, but I still gotta say that Khan takes the cake for best Trek movie villian.

Generations: this a good film. I think it had a solid story, but I think that it's flaw was that too much was crammed into the movie. Here we has the death of the Duras sisters, the destruction of the Enterprise-D, the death of Kirk, the death of Picard's family, Data gaining emotions, the promotion of Worf... It wanted to do too much in a short amount of time. I think Soran was a weak one-dimensional villian, but that was largely a scripting problem.

First Contact: an excellent film. I think the Next Generation cast finally found their movie footing with this film. The Borg Queen was a good villian, but I still gotta give props to Khan. The big-screen Borg were terrifying and that was good.

Insurrection: I liked this movie, but overall I have to say it was an okay film. If the romantic elements had been retained more, I would have liked it better. I wanted to see Picard kiss Anij. I didn't like the fade out as he leaned down. I liked the battle sequences, but I felt like the Enterprise was portrayed as a weak ship. She hardly fought back. Didn't like the joystick, but the Riker maneuver was interesting. R'uafo also seemed to be a one-dimensional mad-man. No more real depth to him than with Soran.

Wes
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my ratings of trek films:

The Motion Picture: 6/10
The Wrath of Kahn: 9/10
The Search for Spock: 7/10
The Voyage Home: 7/10
The Final Frontier: 7/10
The Undiscovered Country: 9.5/10

Generations: 7/10
First Contact: 10/10
Insurrection: 7.5/10
Nemesis: 9/10

of course, the Nemesis rating is based on what I know of plot.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, "Nemesis"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nemesis is the rumoured title of ST:X.

And if I can't post my opinions here, then where can I? I just think you all need to calm down a little.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, lighten up, Poppychops. They're kidding. The opinion you gave is so common it's become pretty much unnecessary to express it. Like saying "Voyager is crap" or "Dubya is a moron" or "Lee is a very nasty person who doesn't like spoilers." 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wes
Member # 212

Nemesis is the working title for Star Trek X that Paramount has trademark registered. I'm just calling it Nemesis for now. It will most likely change, but mabye not.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't "Nemesis" always the rumored title? But, if they actually registered the trademark, I guess someone finally decided there needed to be one w/ that name...
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, there was a Voyager ep called "Nemesis"...

But then there was a TNG ep called "First Contact", so I guess it's OK. But "Nemesis" is so... so... boring. Come on, they can do better.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps