Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » New Comm Badges for Nemesis? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: New Comm Badges for Nemesis?
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they should finally switch over to the AGT version. I think it looks a bit nicer with the current uniforms (Geordi in 'Timeless' VOY)
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, good idea. I always liked it.

Spoiler

$

$

$

$

$

$

$

$

$

BTW: According to many rumors, Admiral Janeway will appear in STX. I hope she doesn't have the common 3 pip admiral insignia.

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always hated those fucking things. That "hollow arrowhead on twin trapezoid" design is fucking UGLY.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$
$
$
$
$

I've heard that Mulgrew has categorically denied all knowledge of any such cameo. It would be a nice idea, but she hasn't been approached. But one interesting thing is that Patrick Stewert recently hinted, and I quote...

"do not believe everything you see on the internet about Star Trek 10. There is a future for Star Trek: Voyager on the big screen..."

Hmmm

(This he annouced in a recent convention in Blackpool, UK)

There may be substance to what he says, or maybe he was just playing with the audience, but who knows.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Change things again? Sweet dancin jesus, boy, hold your horses.

They change things too often to be realistic as it is. They only switched to 'present' style in the past few 'years'.

My own inadaquately explaination goes like this:

Starships are broken down into generations with a certain design acting as that generations flagship (eg Galaxy as flagship design with Neb, Cheyenne, etc as design sisters). When this happens, uniforms are changed for some honorary reason to go along with it. Thus, as the first Galaxy-era ships rolled off the assembly line, officers switched over to TNG S1 uniforms. Before that, we had the movie stuff, suggesting this was a recently enacted (or revived) doctrine.

I'm too tired to pretend this makes sense. Critise it, and I'll defend it when I have more energy.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The change from the red movie uniforms to the early TNG uniforms was sometime between 2349 and 2354, according to "Encounter at Farpoint" and, um... another episode I don't recall...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last known use of the "reds," albeit with the TNG-era commbadge, was in Jack Crusher's holomessage in "Family" (and/or his appearance in "Journey's End"), and therefore sometime in 2349 or 2350. (The last known use of the reds with the TWOK pin was 2344 as per "Yesterday's Enterprise")

The earliest known use of the TNG Theiss pajamas would be in "Violations" when we see Beverly's flashback to the death of Jack, which was, what, 2353 or so?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the 2354 I referred to above. I couldn't remember the episode.

And the Encyclopedia says EaF had the holomessage from Jack Crusher, so that's what I said above. But, if it was "Family", okay.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The All Good Things combadge was designed to be a one-shot, but has been used like 5 or 6 times. I think the design would need to be a little refined if it was going to be used in a feature or series.

Especially considering the AGT uniforms dont really work very well the wraparound isnt convincing, trying unsuccessfully to mimic the Movie era jackets with none of the finesse. If they wanted to use them ever again, i would add a contrast color (a black or gray collar or stripe or both and someplace to affix the rank insignia, because they look out of place all alone over the wrap. Plus the AGT uniforms were meant to show the future evolution of the TNG uniforms, but since they added the First Contact uniforms, it seems the future designs might go in a different direction (making their use in Endgame kind of questionable)

Of course, the real reason Starfleet redesigns all its uniforms and insignia ever few years is to get stupid fanboys like me to $hell out for some more pins at conventions (or 'cons' for short, ironically enough)

[ September 19, 2001: Message edited by: CaptainMike ]

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think there's another ep which narrows down the change from movie uniforms - "Suddenly Human" has a pic of that kid Jono's human family with him as a baby and his parents wearing early TNG outfits, and he's supposed to have been born somewhere around 2350. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it may be too soon for any alterations in the uniform/pin designs. Hell, in the modern era of Trek series, there have been four uniform designs (three if you don't count the minor alteration of the uniforms between TNG seasons 2 and 3) and two combadge designs. It's still a wee bit early for that. Give it another couple years and it might be time to change out the rank pips, though.

If they were to change the insignia design, I came up with one while doodling in class last year that I think looks kinda neat. It's essentially two of the Starfleet arrowheads. The first one is sideways and pointing to the right. It's a little thinner and a little longer than the normal arrowhead. The second arrowhead is just centered on top of it. If I get it scanned in, I'll post a picture of it.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't count the DS9 design as separate from the second TNG one. Chronologically, those were more or less parallel: the TNG ones even persisted after the discontinuation of the DS9 ones (save for Voyager) and the adoption of the FC style, as seen during the many DS9 Earth visits and a couple of sixth-season stationside scenes.

I could have done without the FC variant, really, but it's not quite that crowded in the "modern" era as it seems. Frequent and illogical uniform changes are so much a Trek rule that I'm instead annoyed at the *lack* of discontinuity between ST2 and "Tapestry", or the too logical and gradual progression from "Tapestry" to "Yesterday's Enterprise". :-P

Timo Saloniemi

Pro. Portside
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one do not like the AGT comm badges for a simmple tech reson. These are COMM badges and a cording to the NGTM the arrow head housed all the comm parts and power supply with the oval background housing the antina. With the DS9(and any ohters like it) virsion all they changed is the antina. But if you hollow out the arrow head where do you put the stuff that was in there?
dose star fleet has that kind of micro tech?
are the going to stich the comm parts into the uniforms?

sorry to bring tech in to this but I felt This had to be said.

IP: Logged
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I think the tech could fit inside the little rectangles. Maybe one rectangle is the antenna and the other contains the communicator.

The earliest chronological use of the AGT comm badge we've seen is LaForge in "Timeless". And he was still wearing the FC uni. So the comm badge changes before the uniforms do...but that still doesn't narrow the date down enough. It was, what, 25 years in the future? How far ahead was AGT?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dont think the movie producers will have any reason to desire changing the uniforms anyway.

In ST:I they had new uniforms because the director wanted to tone down the colors for the big screen. They cost a lot of $

In ST:II they had new uniforms because everyone said that the ST:I uniforms sucked. The new ones cost even more $ (with the exception of the shoes, which were horribly expensive in ST:I)

They kept those for 6 movies because it was easier and there was no reason to change.

In ST:TNG they had new uniforms because they a)needed to show the future setting b) wanted to return to the older design philosophy (i.e. color)

They slighly modified those (year 3) because everyone was uncomfortable, and plus Riker was getting fat.

DS9 had new work jumpsuit uniforms to show they were not in as perfect a place as the ships crew. They didnt replace the old ones, but were a variant. Everyone really liked those so they started to show up on ships and stuff.

Generations was slated to introduce new jackets for the same reason ST:I did.. to show that they were in movies now. However they were horribly crap, and were thrown out before ever being seen.
The end product of Generations was superb, showing the DS9 uniforms looked really snazzy on the ships crew.

The new combadge was designed though, for Voyager, and was incorporated into the film too.

But ST:FC decided to redesign them, much like ST:II did, because they had a desire to change their uniforms from the first feature.

Going by the pattern of the previous movies, theyll probably use these for quite a while, unless a new TV show premieres, in which case theyll want to come up with a new badge and possibly a new variant uniform, that probalby wont replace the FCs but coexist.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps