Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » I just rented ST: Insurrection. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I just rented ST: Insurrection.
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell are so many people bitching about? I thought 9 was pretty damn good. Some of it's "funny" parts were far more cheesy than funny, but other than that, I thought it came VERY close to breaking the curse of Khan. Unfotunatly for ST:IX, I think First Contact is still just a tad better.
IP: Logged
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if Joalene Blalock played Anij, the Baku were very sexual people, and Riker and Troi did more than the bathtub scene....wait that's going to drive the PG-13 rating up...

The movie was okay, but needed more violent action scenes or something to that effect. Or the Sona should have been more scary.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whenever Ru'afo got mad i laughed cuz he looked so ridiculous. So did the rest of the audience every time i saw it. They obviously missed a beat there. (im thinking his final yell and his head popping scene)
I didnt like the zit jokes
I didnt like the boob joke

it became a farce

to make things worse, stunteople flew the wrong way on their wires when FX stuff blew up.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
stunteople

Is that near Istanbul or Constantinople?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

MIB
Ex-Member

I think he meant 'stunt people' As for 9 needing more violence; I honestly do not think so. I don't watch Trek just for the explosions and such. (Even though they are pretty cool.)
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't like ST 9 much, for me it perpetuated the odd numbered movie curse. Not that it was a bad film, it was adequate for what it was, it was the gist of the story that disappointed me. It was too alike Generations in a way, ie some alien fanatic searches for a type of immortality, screwing over anyone that gets in his way, Picard and co must go to any lengths to stop him, blah blah.....

Yes there were differences and different subplots, but the recylced storylines of our heroes against one crackpot villain just isn't strong or thought provoking enough...

Just my opinion though.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And there's also the whole thing about the message of the movie not really adding up.

At the relatively minor expense of a few people (we're not even talking about killing them), enormous benefit could have been brought to trillions upon trillions of sentient beings.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or the one."

The entire premise of the movie was flawed, and was executed rather poorly.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently, you missed the "message" of the movie.

You also apparently forgot about the Prime Directive. And the "principles" of the Federation. Essentially, the Federation got drawn into an internal conflict.

Which is something the Prime Directive forbids. Remember the Federation's attitude towards the Duras Civil War? Same thing.

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

OnToMars
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[move along...]

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: OnToMars ]

--------------------

OnToMars
Member # 621

Prime Directive didn't apply. Picard even said so.

And no, I don't remember the Federation's attitude towards the Klingon Civil War. It's been years since I've seen those episodes.

But there have been many instances where the Federation acted as a mediator to resolve the situation, (iirc, Klingon Civil War included). They also did so in ST:I, and successfully I might add. With that taken care of, they could've resumed researching the metagenic affect to everyone's satisfaction.

Chalk it up on Bernd's list of shit that should've changed everything everafter, but was mysteriously never heard of again.

--------------------

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did we NEED to see the Admiral's face stretched?

--------------------
Meh

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, why not?

Actually, I think Dougherty said the Prime Directive didn't apply -- once Picard & Co realized the Bak'u and the Son'na were part of the same race, they realized the Prime Directive DID apply. When what's-his-stretch later tried to invoke the Prime Directive to force Enterprise to leave, Picard pointed out that they had to fix the mistake the Federation had gotten itself involved in and did so.

In "Redemption", because the Klingon Civil War was an internal affair, the Federation could not become involved. Picard suspected the Duras sisters were being supported by the Romulans, and once the connection was revealed (it wasn't done so concisevely -- the Romulans withdrew their support rather then face a war against the UFP and Klingons) the Federation would've been able to come to the aid of Gowron. Similar situation -- the Son'a wanted the Federation to help them destroy the Bak'u, whom they viewed as enemies. Forbidden by the Prime Directive due to the relationship between them.

[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

Am I the only one who picked up on the historical reference here? The Euorpeans took land from god only knows how many Native Ameriacns for their own benifit, not caring about how much THEY need the land and how the relocation would affect them. Are you gonna sit there and say, "Well. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few?" Even though that may be true, that still doesn't give ANYONE the right to waltz in and take people's homes and land without their consent. I do believe that that was a big message in the movie. I also think that ST:I was based, at least a little bit, on the Native American relocations. Much in the same way ST:6 was based on the collapse of the Soviet Union and so forth.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Good call, dude.

The classic morality tale: is it okay to violate one's principles to do what will help the many at the cost of the few?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Overall, I enjoyed Insurrection. I think it was a fairly okay film, but it definitely had its problems. Some of the pacing was off, and the film seemed to struggle with its identity. Was Insurrection primarily an action film or a romantic film? I think the film could have benefitted greatly from balancing the romantic elements of the film better with the action elements. I would have liked to see more of the Anij and Picard angle and the reignition of Riker and Troi's relationship. I especially would have liked to have seen more of Worf's commentary on the matter since he was intimately involved with Troi and had just recently lost Jadzia.

The action elements were fine for the most part. The special effects for the Enterprise's battle with the Son'a ships was rushed and needed fine-tuning. The biggest flaw is that the Enterprise came off as being a pathetic little ship against the Son'a battleships. Definitely needed to show the Enterprise returning more fire and standing her own against the Son'a ships. This was the perfect opportunity to show the Enterprise testing her limits (like we did the original Enterprise in The Wrath of Khan). On that note, the film blew it.

Some of the humor was a bit unnecessary. Data's "floatation device" gag wasn't all that fitting, but I think the "boob," "pimple," and "shaved beard" jokes did work. It was nice seeing an interaction between Troi and Crusher that was nothing more than "girl talk." Worf's pimple served to show that the crew was beginning to experience the age-reversing effects of the radiation. The "shaved beard" joke was a nice touch of comedy that I, for one, appreciated.

The premise of the film was all right, in my opinion. TNG touched on the seizing land issue back in "Journey's End" (the final appearance of Wesley Crusher), but that was a different issue. In that case, the Federation was trying to remove the Native Americans because the planet was being ceded over to the Cardassians. In Insurrection, the Federation was cooperating with a hostile force to help steal the resources of the planet from its inhabitants. This is a more direct allusion to the Europeans seizing the Americas from the natives and the colonists then seizing the land from the European empires. At the time, there was little thought to the objective morality of those events. In the movie, there is time to explore the options and consider what is right to be done. I would have spent a bit more time on that exploration of the issues, though.

As I said at the beginning of my post, Insurrection was enjoyable and entertaining. It did have some problems with pacing and development, and I think those are largely errors in judgement by the producers, director, and writer.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps