Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » General Trek » Guess who else will be in STX... (Spoilers!!) (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Guess who else will be in STX... (Spoilers!!)
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't it said that they got home 15 years after the last ep?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike: You might was to refer to the Encyclopedia on this one, since you're very wrong.

Eric: No, they got home in the last episode.

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He's not too wrong -- an age of 55 was given in the writers' guide, setting his birth in 2309. Of course, if that were the case, then Picard would've made captain at the age of 24, rather than 28. Blame whoever set Stargazer's destruction as far back as nine years ago, or made Picard command a single ship for 22 years. The revised birthdate from "Conundrum" (13 July 2305) makes Picard about 12 years older than Patrick Stewart.

The writer of "Tapestry" apparently thought this weird as well, and set Picard's graduation thirty years before the episode. Unfortunately, such a timespan is unacceptable given the established timeline. There's no way to correct the age now. Besides, it doesn't matter since McCoy can apparently live to be 137, so I'd expect Picard to manage just fine at 73.

[ November 20, 2001: Message edited by: Phelps ]

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never refer to the goddamn encyclopedia.

I was going by the writer's guide, which stated he was 55 in season 1 (2364). And I thought that was what the chronology said too, based on Conundrum. But i am loathe to use either, and dont actually have copies of them in my home.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The episode establishes birthdates for many of the characters, including 13 July 2305 for Picard, making him 59 in the first season. Besides, we know he was 21 ("Tapestry") when he graduated in "Class of '27", which supports it.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes...a "Picard's backstory" thread is starting to form! Let's talk about the ship Picard commanded between the Stargazer and the Ent-D!!

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean the Marie Celeste-class USS Flying Dutchman?

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really wish someone would explain to me why Picard HAD to have commanded another ship. And throwing the date on which Tasha Yar left her homeworld with him isn't sufficient evidence. Most likely explanation is he had a staff position, look at the Pentagon, a posting there is virtually a requisite for ever making General/Admiral.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Virtually?

Is.

At least in the Air Force anyway.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you not think Janeway's murder of Tuvix might raise some eyebrows at Starfleet? What about her general "screw going around; we will shoot our way through" attitude about getting home (would the Federation respond kindly when faced with an alien vessel doing the same)? How about her obsession with "U.S.S. Equinox," that involved her torturing an "Equinox" crewman, among other crimes? Perhaps the fact that she is delusional (she told Captain Ransom in "Equinox," quite sincerely (I think), that she never violated the Prime Directive) might concern someone.

Janeway should definately be court-martialed, with, perhaps, the fact that she ultimately brought "Voyager" home serving as her "get out of jail free" card. But she certainly should not be allowed to remain in Starfleet.

(On the other hand, perhaps a promotion to the Admiralty is in order, since so many admirals are delusional, immoral, do-whatever-they-please types.)

[ November 21, 2001: Message edited by: Raw Cadet ]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those are all technically valid readings of Voyager, I suppose, but they aren't the intended ones.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and why does the Maquis crew get off without a strike against them? They fought an illegal war against the Cardassians, which may well have led to Dukat's decision to overthrow the government.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Raw Cadet
Member # 725

- posted      Profile for Raw Cadet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I, personally was only pointing out (some of) Janeway's crimes, since there was a debate over how likely it would be for her to receive a promotion (or even stay in Starfleet). However, do the Maquis crew members even have anything to be held accountable for, other than their original "crime" of being Maquis? Sure, the Maquis as a whole was a cause of the Dominion War, but Chakotay, Torres, etc., as far as we know, did not do anything horrific as Maquis members. Indeed, aboard "Voyager," they grew as individuals (even if that growing was into a pussy-whipped yes man), and served productively. Thus, barring any horredous crimes they committed before "Voyager," the Maquis redeemed themselves aboard the ship; "jail time" for them would be punitive and useless. On the other hand, as individuals who resigned from Starfleet (Chakotay), or never graduated from the Academy (Torres, etc.), their Starfleet careers should have ended the day "Voyager" got home.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just don't like the idea of Starfleet forgiving them. No matter their intent, they're traitors to Starfleet and the Federation. Give 'em a pardon? Fine. Let em serve in Starfleet? No way.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet does let members of "enemy" cultures serve, though. Their cultural background is typically not held against them (possible Admiral Saties aside), unless they participated actively in misdemeanor. And both Worf and Kira were known and unpunished murderers by UFP standards, yet still were given or allowed to retain the uniform. I guess the service is relatively forgiving in its personnel policies, as long as a command-level officer gives a favorable evaluation.

And Janeway would. And her position would be strong, what with her being a high-publicity savior of mankind and all. Starfleet would look really bad if it didn't reward the Maquis, even if that went against its previous principles.

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps