Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » Well, it's a start... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Well, it's a start...
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've got what is likely to be the very first photograph of a snippet of the Enterprise sets:

(It's from a UPN press kit scanned at TrekToday.)

It would appear that the corridors have some sort of handholds... something to do with spotty artificial gravity?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks very sub-marine-ish...I like it...

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
- Poor Structural Integrity
- Poor inertial dampening
- Poor artificial gravity.

The station would probably have floor gratings, and so on, steam rising from every place, lots of clutter, etc, so many ladders, and no turbolifts.

Hmm.......

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a ship not a station, if the inside of the ship looks like this then the outside look is going to look like a flying brick with piping and shit all over the place.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget the Botany Bay folks... it had gravity just like any other ship in the Federation. Artifical Gravity is a 20th century invention according to the Star Trek timeline. [As long as you accept that the Botany Bay took off in 1996 ].
There are other ships from the period that have gravity like Star Trek ships have. Infact the only ship that I can recall from the period that *DID NOT* have artifical gravity was the Aries module [in both Seven's scenes and the recorded ones].

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the reason why the Botany Bay was so advanced was because TPTB thought that 1996 was "so far in the future." A lot they knew.

That aside, I don't remember any line in the Chronology stating that AG was a 20th century invention.

The only other instance of this was the Cryosatellite, but either the producers just weren't thinking, or perhaps the Enterprise raised its shields around the satellite just enough for her AG to spill onto the smaller vessel. That might have been the case for the Botany Bay as well. Who knows?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Baron Soontir Fel
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Part of away team protocals may be to project a gravity field upon a ship that doesn't have one. Explains why most times people beam over to a derelict ship/station/satellite they have a grav field.
IP: Logged
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if it's actually POSSIBLE to project a gravity field. Does anyone have the TNG:TM handy? It explains nicely how a gravity field is created and how it requires multipe generators.

If you could project a gravity field, then theoretically you'd only need 1 generator on a starship. Also, has there ever been a situation where the Enterprise is forced to leave the vicinity of a ship with a landing party on board?

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gravity Boots, Mr. Spock.

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Take a look at the progression. In the TNG TM, Rick laid out the idea of hundreds of rather large gravity generators positioned through the ship, but by the time of DS9 and Voyager, they'd headed more toward the idea of thousands of dime-sized gravity generators embedded in deckplates -- which I think is funny, because that's what fandom had had all along...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very interesting point, except for the minor technicality that they were not "gravity boots" as you so stated, Treknophyle. I believe in actuality they were magnetic boots.

I will have to check the investigation logs. Unless they have been tampered along with the torpedo records.

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
Based on canonical information-

1990's
*Cryogenic satellites. No artificial gravity. (The gravity generated aboard the SS Birdseye was the consequence of the ship's rotation.)
*Satellites and probes (Voyager VI) and warships of the US Navy (USS Enterprise) have fission nuclear engines.
*Era of space shuttles (Enterprise OV-101, Challenger OV-99).

2000 to 2030
*Ships (Aries 4, unnamed ship) are sent to explore Mars and Saturn. They carry no or very limited artificial gravity and are propelled by ion propulsion.
*Satellites and probes (Nomad) are using fission nuclear energy.
*Era of space shuttles and stations.

2030 to 2060
*Ships (Charbydis, Jacob) are using fusion nuclear energy to explore and leave the solar system.
*World War III
*Development of the predecessors to the DY family of ships.

2060 to 2113
*First warp flight (Phoenix).
*Gravity generators are employed for the first time on ships, like the SS Valiant.
*Ships and probes (SS Valiant, Friendship One) are sent to explore areas of deep space.
*DY-100 Class ships are first employed. These ships built in orbital space are sent to explore the outer solar system with their crews in cryo-stasis. (A journey for this class of vessel is measured in years from this planet to that planet. And a ship could reach a nearby star. Unfortunately, the odds were leaned heavily against the success of such a mission.)
*Last global war-Eugenics War. Four years of fighting. At end, the SS Botany Bay, under the command of Khan, leaves Earth with rudimentary warp drive and artificial gravity.
*Advancements in impulse drive.

2113 to 2161
*Humans colonize space using DY, RT, and BB families of ships. SS Mariposa of the DY-500 class with registry NAR-7678 is such an example. These ships employ artificial gravity and pulse fusion engines. Some of the ships carry the NAR registry (SS Mariposa NAR-7678, SS Seattle NAR-18834), which is later reused under the auspices of the Federation (SS Vico NAR-18834).

2150's
Series-Enterprise.

Note: In the movie The Voyage Home, Spock says that nuclear power is used for the most part in nuclear war ships until the next century-the 21st. This information helps to date the Eugenics War to the 21st century for the SS Botany Bay is a nuclear powered space ship.

The movie First Contact established a period of time where the last global war could occur-the fifty years between 2063 and 2113. At or after 2113, the Earth is experiencing world governments, ex. European Hegemony. Less than forty years later, the Earth is governed by a single authority.

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"In the movie The Voyage Home, Spock says that nuclear power is used for the most part in nuclear war ships until the next century-the 21st. This information helps to date the Eugenics War to the 21st century for the SS Botany Bay is a nuclear powered space ship."

That makes no sense whatsoever. I someone said that sailing vessels were widely used up to the nineteenth century, and we know Columbus used sail-ships, does that mean he lived in the nineteenth century?

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post 
In the Voyage Home DVD, Chapter 6, there is a brief discussion on nuclear power in Earth's history.

In the 1980's, according to Spock, nations are using fission nuclear power. This power is used extensively on warships, such as carriers.

Later, after the 1980's, there came fusion nuclear power. This form of nuclear power is used in space ships to help propel them to warp speeds.

This last statement is not proved until the second season of TNG with two facts, seen in Okudagrams. First, the engines of the Charbydis are Block 4 Fusion Nuclear Power engines. Later in the same season as the Charbydis, there is the example of the SS Mariposa NAR-7678 which had Pulse Fusion Engines.

And much later, the series Voyager gives a possible beginning date for fusion nuclear reactors. The Aries 4 is operational in the later 2020's with ion power reactors.

Given this information, the sequence of reactors is-chemical (Apollo, Space Shuttle) 1960's to early 21st century, ion power (Aries 4, unnamed Saturn mission) early 21st century to 2037, and (pulse) fusion (Charbydis, SS Botany Bay, SS Mariposa) 2037 to 2123.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are we deciding to ignore the specific dialogue where Khan says he left Earth on the Botany Bay in 1996...?

Fundamental Trek law #1: Star Trek takes place in an alternate universe. Their space-tech advanced much more quickly than ours has.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps