Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$$ Vulcan Logic, or Vulcan Idiocy? ("The Seventh")

Author Topic: $$$ Vulcan Logic, or Vulcan Idiocy? ("The Seventh")
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Vulcan High Command considered assigning T'Pol to this mission a matter of HONOR??? What the heck? It's obvious that there was some kind of screw-up, so wouldn't it be a whole lot more LOGICAL to assign someone who hadn't failed before?

In fact, if the Vulcans knew about T'Pol's repression of the memory before (and I find it very hard to believe that they didn't), then why the hell would they send T'Pol on the mission years later and risk disturbing the block of that memory?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She resigned, so they may not have the info about her whatever it was called, that was done in the monestary(I think she called it)...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Alshrim Dax
Member # 258

- posted      Profile for Alshrim Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I understood from it -- she requested that she forget all about the person she killed -- and the guilt associated with killing him.... they didn't make her forget about anything else. That is why, at first, she remembered there only being 6 people that she was assigned to return to Vulcan.

It was only later, as she began to remember everything -- that she recalled the Seventh -- hence the title of the ep.

Anyhow.. that's how I see it.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
The Vulcan High Command considered assigning T'Pol to this mission a matter of HONOR??? What the heck? It's obvious that there was some kind of screw-up...

Not necessarily. Perhaps the vulcans were very happy that T'Pol killed number six. They may have also wanted to give her a chance to make up for the weakness she showed after that mission.

--------------------
"Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It?s us. Only us."
Rorschach

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would the Vulcans care about honor? Wouldn't such a concern be illogical?
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Exactly. Klingons spout off about honor all the time, but Vulcans have never, ever given much thought about honor, directly. Dignity, maybe. Logic, definitely.

I refer you to the classic scene from TWOK where Kirk's trying to get Spock to keep command of the Enterprise. They have no ego to bruise. Remember? [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree; I do not believe Vulcans would have any use for the concept of honour. It is an emotional thing and some pretty illogical acts have been performed in its name.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, just off the top of my head, I can think of something that nearly every onscreen Vulcan ever has spent much time worrying about and which can only be described as a matter of honor or pride.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honor is the foundation of trust. Trust itself, in strictly mathematical terms, usually yields slightly better results in games theory than it's reverse, betrayal. Therefore, it is logical to have honor. Even a Vulcan could see that.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vulcans have an interesting way of expressing honor then...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe we're talking about two different "honor"s here. The Vulcans gave the assignment to T'Pol because it was "an honor". Now, which is more logical: sending the closest person who can do the job, or pulling someone off another assignment, someone who is likely to flip out in the process, because it would be "an honor"?
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be that the Vulcans thought of the assignment as an honor due to the fact that it would be difficult for T'pol. They know her history, obviously, and I don't believe they would approve of the fact that she had memory repressions. In a way, this assignment could have be a sort of "tough love" for T'pol...She would need to confront her "fears" head on in order to succeed.

Also, The Vulcans must have realized that even if T'pol failed on her mission, they would win. If she broke down and snapped, or was killed, well, the Vulcans lose a valuable asset, but they also remove T'pol's recommendations to keep the Enterprise mission going.

Meanwhile, if she succeeded, the Vulcans will have an even stronger "agent" than before. It's cold-blooded, as Dr. McCoy used to say, but logical.

Member # 480

Also: In most systems of honor here in reality, it is always seen as a "great honor" to receive a second chance on something you failed at previously. They honored her by letting her try and nab the fugitive even though she failed before...it was a show of respect and trust in her abilities.

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps