Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » $$ Latter Season 4 Episodes [Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Latter Season 4 Episodes [Spoilers]
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you think about it, for the romulans to leave Vulcan with enough population to start a viable colony, dozen or hundreds of light years away from Vulcan, they HAD to have had a fairly advanced level of technology for some while before the exodus.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure I agree...a handful of modest low-warp ships with a few hundred or thousand dissidents would be a sufficent 'start'.

Just for example, look at "The Ensigns of Command" and the case of the SS Artemis on Tau Cygna V. Although no original numbers were given and there was an unknown number of casualties from their crash -- 1 ship of colonists managed to grow to 15,000 in less than 100 years -- despite complications with radiation exposure.

If a similar case happened with the Romulans -- since their numbers (ie: x to 15,000 in 100 yrs) are growing exponentially, their "colony" would be quite well-established in ~1000 years.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Although wouldn't it be interesting to find out that the Romulans actually are a tiny oligarchy of just a few thousand people, ruling their Star Empire and running their starships via Remans and other slave troops, plus a pitiful few elite Romulan field units?

OTOH, Duane described a culture that did not have "well established" starflight, and for that very reason launched people in the hundreds of thousands, in what were really O'Neill colonies with warp engines bolted to their asses. Very little chance of seeing that now... Although name-dropping the Carrizal or S'Harien or the Wretched Root wouldn't hurt. [Smile]

Timo Saloniemi

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if they will mention the Debrune....or rather, remember to mention the fact that the Romulans were not the only Vulcan offshoot to leave Vulcan....that is, thinking back to "Gambit".

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually I think it was mentioned that the Debrune were a Romulan offshoot... So a bunch of Vulcans leave, not satisified with the way things are going, and become the Romulans. Then, a bunch of Romulans take off, still not satisified with the way things are going and become the Debrune...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

DoughBoy05
Member # 1417

- posted      Profile for DoughBoy05     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barradas III, Dessica II, Calder II, Yadalla Prime, and Draken IV where some of the planets connected to the Debrune, Vulcans and Romulans

--------------------
"Well, Sergeant? Aren't you going to say that it's bigger on the inside than it is on the outside? Everybody else does."

"It's pretty obvious, isn't it?"

The Doctor and Sgt. Benton, in "The Three Doctors"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

like i said....

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let's remember that when queried about the possibility of negotiating with the Romulans, Spock said that Vulcan once had a "brutal colonization period". One interpretation is that this period was on planet Vulcan, and Spock was merely pointing out that people like Vulcans are brutal by nature, so Romulans and other Vulcan-looking people must be, too. Flimsy logic IMHO.

The other interpretation is that this colonization period directly resulted in the Romulans and the other offshoot. But Spock is being awfully vague if that's the case.

I'd be happiest if the Romulans indeed were Surak-era secessionists rather than brutal colonists (I admit those aren't mutually exclusive, but still...), and the Debrune and possible others were a continuation of this secessionism, whereas the other offshoot resulted from the brutal pre-Surakian interstellar colonialism. To leave open this possibility, I'd like ENT to concentrate on the Romulans and not nail down the others, even by innocent name-dropping.

Timo Saloniemi

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

I would rather they focused more on the Orions and Andorians and Tellarites and such...especially with the latter two, I don't see much work towards forging alliances as of late...

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought what happened was that as the Romulans travelled, they stopped at the above planets and intermingled with the native populations, introducing their DNA in sufficient quantitities to be detected even centuries later.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Or as the dissidents travelled along they further splintered off to those other planets, but since the Romulans were the only surviving or most influential of the dissidents that they were known the main group whereas the rest became known their offshoots...I dunno, once its all said and done, it really doesn't matter.

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm.. What if the Romulans where a Penal Colony, like Australia? The Vulcans might have sent them off, to die or colonize, then forgot all about them.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Timo
Member # 245

Suffice to say that on this subject, I dearly hope that ENT dares challenge all the dusty old fan views and assumptions.

Timo Saloniemi

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't that happen when TNG went on the air?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, let's not forget the Mentakans. Another lost colony, descended to medievalism? A seeded world?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps