Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » R.I.P. Star Trek: Enterprise (Page 5)

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: R.I.P. Star Trek: Enterprise
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Maybe it's an age thing. You young kids who think Star Trek is first and formost TNG era or after are a different breed than those of us who rigged antennas out of spit, coat hangers and bailing wire just to watch TOS through all the static and snow because it was the only Star Trek ever made.
In other words, "Soundwave superior; Constructicons inferior." Just because you "rigged antennas out of spit, coat hangers and bailing wire just to watch TOS through all the static and snow" doesn't mean that your opinion counts any more or any less than anyone else's here.

I still think that a Captain Sulu series is a bad idea and would be nothing more than a rehash of story ideas and development that we've already seen twenty times. George Takei is not that good an actor; Hikaru Sulu is not that great a character. The stories that you could do in that timeframe aren't much different from the ones The Next Generation tackled in its start.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I STILL WANT A POST VOY SERIES STAR TREK ORIGINAL MESSAGE WAS LOOKING FORWARD NOT LOOKING BACK
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's scary that, five years later we're still hashing out the same damned arguments. I still say let Star Trek rest. Geez. It's like playing a Celine Dion CD except the player keeps skipping and repeating "My Heart Will Go On."

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
Trek has been a dying enterprise (no pun) since long before that if you measure it by fanbase].

Actually if you want to go by TNG - if that's what you are meaning - TNG was a phenomenon - it was out-rating EVERYTHING by 1994. It was even given a 'token'-admittedly nomination for best Drama in 1994!

EVERYONE watched it - Trekker and non-trekker.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by HerbShrump:
Apparently I'm not smoking the same thing that the people who enjoyed the Xindi stories are smoking.

And yeah, Captain Sulu. Not that I necessarially want to see one now. After all, George Takai is probably too old to be a dynamic convincing captain. (On the other hand, Picard wasn't a spring chicken).

Maybe it's an age thing. You young kids who think Star Trek is first and formost TNG era or after are a different breed than those of us who rigged antennas out of spit, coat hangers and bailing wire just to watch TOS through all the static and snow because it was the only Star Trek ever made.

Sorry to single you out again, Herb, but you proceed from a false assumption. I love TOS, and I vastly prefer it to TNG even, but I also thought ENT was great. And part of the reason I thought it was great was because it *was* a break from the TNG era.

I really hate the viewpoint that anything that isn't TOS can't be good. I refuse to take a narrow view of the Trek universe.

A Captain Sulu series would be truly horrible. "Flashback" alone demonstrated that quite sufficiently. Takei can't act, the Sulu character was always just the guy who counts off the warp factors, (once he stopped being the physicist for one episode) and making him a focus was never a good idea. (But then, very little of Nick Meyer's ever were.)

The Xindi arc was very decent TV storytelling. It reflected current-day moral and political issues and at the same time provided some good character development within the show. And most importantly, it held my attention and got me excited about seeing next week's episode. This season has been even better still, and I am sincerely bummed that we won't be getting another.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. . .

(I strongly suspect the most-watched syndicated show in 1994 was Wheel of Fortune, as it has claimed that title for years, but I can't find any solid figures. As for the networks, it was, for TNG's entire run, as follows: The Cosby Show, Roseanne, Cheers, and 60 Minutes.)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Star Trek II and VI are the only Star Trek movies that even exist, while we're at the "bombastic pronouncement" stage.
B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious what's going to happen to Flare after the end of the season. We have some great discussions around here, but in recent memory it's pretty dead when Trek's on hiatus - take the winter break for example.

B.J.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Well, this is the Flare Sci-Fi Forums. Stargate goes on. Battlestar Galactica goes on. Andromeda goes on (I think). Serenity is on the horizon. And there are also topics on Star Trek, Babylon 5, Firefly, and others that could up and be discussed. Until Charles says something, I'm inclined to believe that Flare will go on.

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not unlike Ms. Dion's heart, then?
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

Indeed. And that damned song has been stuck in my head ever since I first mentioned it eight posts up.

--------------------

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And not a single iceberg anywhere in sight.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it doesn't have to be a Captain Sulu story. Someone else also mentioned a couple of mini-series ideas to help finish the ENT story arc. Birth of the Federation, Romulan War, etc... Plenty of stories from this era to provide fuel for the fire.

There are other established characters that could be focused on as well.

Just seems to me that mini-series may be a viable way to produce new Trek without the commitment to a series.

Yes, it's difficult to develop characters in that format, but that doesn't hurt any other mini-series in any other genre from being made.

Moving on...

I wonder if Star Trek has become a victim of it's own success. TNG was a phenomenon (to quote someone above). Yet, each successive Trek incarnation lost some viewers from the previous version. Some fans didn't like DS-9 because it was too dark, didn't go anywhere or, to quote one person "looked like a gas station." For many, the show didn't pick up until a TNG character, Worf, was added (O'Brien being only a bit character from TNG doesn't count).

VOY saw even more fans rant and complain and now ENT suffers the ignominy of being the first modern-era show to be cut short of 7 seasons.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Enterprise and thought it would have done well over a full seven year run. Since it isn't, it's probably best that we don't see another Star Trek series - and we will again, at some point - for several years. Face it, there are currently far better sci-fi shows on tv that don't feel like retreads of what's been done before - the new Battlestar Galactica is awesome, the Stargate shows have a big following, George Lucas has announced an hourly Star Wars drama for '06, and there's always the possibility that if Serenity is a hit, Universal will begin production of Firefly again (not quite sure how that would work...)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Actually if you want to go by TNG - if that's what you are meaning - TNG was a phenomenon - it was out-rating EVERYTHING by 1994. It was even given a 'token'-admittedly nomination for best Drama in 1994!

Actually, I said end of DS9... I think that from it's height would have been sometime within the TNG run.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps