Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Other Television Shows » "In A Mirror Darkly" ruminations $(contains spoilers)$ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: "In A Mirror Darkly" ruminations $(contains spoilers)$
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because to do otherwise would result in 90% of the viewing public going "there was a big eugenics war 10 years ago? Did I sleep though it, or sumink?"

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was - the media just didn't cover it.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The US wasn't involved, why would they? [Smile]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's quite conceivable to twist the Bosnian/Serbian war and the various genocides in Africa (Rwanda, Burundi) and come up with a nice Eugenics War.
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Because to do otherwise would result in 90% of the viewing public going "there was a big eugenics war 10 years ago? Did I sleep though it, or sumink?"

I think you got it the other way around - I'm saying that the Trekverse is not our universe, and asking why other people insist in trying to invent explanations to cover for all the noticeable differences between them (as, precisely, the Eugenics Wars, among other things).

Edit: (Or are you tring to imply that people is so dumb that they would understand it the other way around?)

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HerbShrump: Slobodan Milo�ević is a genetic superman, then?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
http://www.trekbbs.com/threads/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=4150406&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1

I guess both the picture of T'Pol in miniskirt and the other with Archer and Maywetaher are aboard the Avenger?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good point for divergence of the Trek universe with our own is the discontinuation/downgrading of the space program!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some interesting news:
quote:
Shatner pitched the storyline to Coto, Brannon Braga and Rick Berman, only to discover that the latter had a different alternate universe pitch developed by Sussman in which Shatner would play Chef, an ancestor of Kirk whom time-traveler Daniels wanted to use to replace the real Kirk at an important event when Kirk went missing. "We pitched this to Shatner and there was a long silence," said Coto.
http://www.trektoday.com/news/170305_02.shtml

What? Shatner, the creator of Star Trek 5 was struck dumb by a silly story idea? My entire worldview has been upturned.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm...I see that tank tops are the equivalent of veils for women in the MU.

Anyways, that storyline with MU Kirk didn't make any sense. What the fuck is a tantulus field?
And why would Daniels replace Kirk with one of his ancestors since Daniels runs the risk that this ancestor could get killed, thus preventing Kirk from being born in the first place?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"What the fuck is a tantulus field?"

The plot device around which much of the action in that first episode revolved?

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh wait, now I know what it is. It was that device used to kill people. I thought the article was referring to the tantalus insane asylum.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shatner's story pitch, suprisingly, sounds much better than the one where he'd be Chef. Gets an aged "Kirk" back to ENT timeline. The only part I'm confused about is how Tiberius discovers the universe has changed.

I understand it that he's back in time. Therefore it doesn't need to be changed or different.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To go back to the discussion point about the MU possibly having diverged at First Contact because of the TNG crew's presence, I find that extremely unlikely. For one thing, although their presence certainly altered events from Cochrane's perspective, I always got the impression that absolutely no one else in the encampment (aside from Lily) knew about the TNG crew being from the future. Therefore, regardless of the TNG crew's presence, "our" universe's Human crowd when the Vulcans landed would have been peaceful and welcoming.

Therefore, the idea of the crowd turning into a mob and attacking the Vulcans and killing them is either just one more divergence in an already divergent universe (going with the idea that the MU is somehow inherently evil or whatever) or else the trigger that sparked the mob happened completely independently of any factor involving the TNG crew's presence.

And all I can say is, thank goodness that Shatner didn't like the idea of playing the Chef. The idea of recruiting an ancestor of Kirk's to impersonate Kirk is one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard of!

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Blalock in the blue TOS outfit... looks as good when Terry Farrell wore the red TOS outfit for the DS9 episode.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps