Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Raven reconstruction (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Raven reconstruction
Lindsly
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol System: Observation noted. If the two ships are that different, could there be two Sidney Class ships-one is a shuttle and the other is a transport? Or could the shuttles that were identified by the encyclopedia as being Sidney Class be actually of an another class? A bridge readout on the Enterprise-D in "Relics" conclusively identified the USS Jenolen as Sydney Class Transport. The shuttles are not conclusively identified as being Sidney Class in the episodes or movies. Only source for this is the Encyclopedias. Based on your observation and this musing, I hereby retract any statements I have made about the Sidney Class transports. Also, I hereby retract any statements I made previous to today about the USS Raven.

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say, I've never noticed that reference in the Encyclopedia. However, I'd chalk that description up to a mistake.

*looks*

Yeah...it says they were the same, but simple visual evidence suggests they aren't. I wonder if there are any pictures floating around...

------------------
"I'll turn everything around and confuse you. I'll fix it so you can't remember what was true."
--
They Might Be Giants

Lindsly
Ex-Member

Sol System: Reference the entry Jenolen, USS in Encyclopedia II. I beiieve you will find the reference that states the shuttle in The Undiscovered Country is of the Sydney Class transport.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't believe in what is written in the Ency, since the studio models definitely indicate the orbital shuttle from the movie ST6 is a one-deck shuttle of the size of a runabout, but without warp drive:

http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~rsorense/modelcitizen/trekships/shuttlecraft/st5shuttle%20aftq.jpg

http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~rsorense/modelcitizen/trekships/shuttlecraft/st5shuttle%20keel.jpg

The Sydney/Jenolen/Nash is a big ship with many decks, exactly the same warp nacelles as the Constitution, a Constitution-like bridge and Miranda-like sensor panel. It's a very consistent design, despite the fact it is a kitbash:

http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~rsorense/modelcitizen/trekships/misc/jenolin.jpg

http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~rsorense/modelcitizen/trekships/misc/jenolan.jpg

http://members.aol.com/IDICPage/GemKirk60.html

There's not the slightest doubt the ships have considerably different sizes (30m - 230m). You see that the model was heavily modified to portray a much larger ship. I'm not sure about the blue shuttle in Generations, maybe they had another studio model of the orbital shuttle, maybe they did actually use the Sydney, but modified it to be a small ship again.

The error in the Encyclopedia might be attributed to the fact that the model was a small shuttle at first, and the author (Okuda) did not have a close look at the modified version.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which ep was the supposed 'Nash' supposed to be in? And what do we do about the registry? NCC-2010-B doesn't work...

------------------
"The one, the only, THE 359!"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read that the Jenol(e,i,a)n? was first labeled as "Nash". It could have been renamed after "Relics" to portray the DS9 ship as well, if there weren't the obvious registry conflict. The registry of the Nash is arranged in a completely different way and not just a modification. They could have taken *any* other number than 2010-B and it would have been o.k. I don't think anyone can be so stupid. To me the Nash labeling looks preliminary and doesn't match the Starfleet font and size.
Lindsly
Ex-Member

In an issue of Cinefantesque (where the second year of DS9 is reviewed), the photo of the USS Nash, the same one as taken from the Model Citizens Web site, is identified as the model in the episode "Playing God". The modelmakers rename the USS Jenolin to USS Nash because "...there was no name in the script...". The name is said to be taken from the name of an individual in production. The USS Nash would later feature in other DS9 episodes including "Trials and Tribble-ations". Aft section is shown close-up. The close-up shows four letters-N A S H. The registry I believe was never to be shown and that may account for the error. Is this error canonical? You decide.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Maybe the NCC-2010-B is some kind of in-joke.
Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's not get into a ship length debate here.
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

If the Nash actually appeared at DS9, I should include the ship to my list. However, I can't accept the registry. There must be some point where evident nonsense is filtered out.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps