Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Distance of the first warp flight (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Distance of the first warp flight
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since we saw Earth in the window of the Phoenix in FC, should we not be able to figure out exactly how great a section of arc it took up in the sky, and thus how far away Cochrane was, and THUS how long his trip took? 'Cause Earth seemed awfully big to me for being a lightspeed trip away. I mean, the moon's only 1.5 lightseconds away, and the disk wasn't all that smaller from the Phoenix...

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think we can rely on the apparent size of the earth out the window, since there are several variables, including lens type, the window, and the position of the moon relative to earth. Good luck!

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though this is something I have wondered about for a while.

Did they warp back to Earth, or use standard propulsion? Being that far away, you wouldn't think they'd be able to "catch up" with Earth as it orbited the sun using standard thrust. They also had to beat the Vulcans back who were traveling through the outer reaches of the system, presumably.

Also, how did they land? Did the Phoenix have some kind of parachute sytem? They must been able to target their landing pretty good to be able to get back to the camp before the Vulcans landed. Splash down would be out fo the question. They would've had to have been able to land on the ground.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what do we know about the timetable? Picard originally said something like the warp flight happening on June 3rd and first contact taking place June 4th, IIRC. The flight was delayed - so perhaps contact was made on 5th in the altered timeline? Still, I don't think we can say the Vulcan arrival took more than a day if the dialogue really went the way I remember it.

In a day, LaForge got the E-E back to flying condition - not impossible, I guess, if he only had to patch the coolant tubes. The nav deflector might not have been needed on such a short trip (from Earth orbit through time to Earth orbit again).

And in a day, Cochrane probably made a sublight journey of the kind that would have taken an Apollo capsule some two weeks - the minimum warp time is about ten seconds, as per dialogue, so the minimum distance traveled would be about ten lightseconds, or 6+ times the Earth-Moon distance. But tenfold sublight performance over Apollo is peanuts: we already saw that Cochrane's liftoff booster was at least that much better than current rockets.

Precision landing using the forward capsule and a steerable parachute doesn't appear impossible, either. Such technology is becoming available in this decade already, in the real world which appears to drag behind the Trek world by two or three decades.

And the E-E crew could have given covert aid, tractor beams or shuttlebay rides or whatnot, to return the delayed flight to original schedule...

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Except, that if Picard hadn't gotten the crew back by that time, the E-E crew consisted of him, Data, and a battered starship ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Theta15
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, the Earth is way to large in the cockpit window!!
IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
@Timo: wasnt that April the 3rd and 4th?

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As regards how the Phoenix crew returned to Earth, I've always said they must have parachuted down in the nosecone, leaving the stardrive in orbit. This makes sense given the state of the world at the time - it makes for a better bargaining position to have the product he's selling in orbit and unstealable.

------------------
Phasers

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What I love about the whole darned this is that they presumably engaged the warp engines while in the solar system, a cosmic no-no according to the TMs. Engage warp drive in a gravity well? Potentially horrific damage to the space-time continuum could ensue.

Or comedic if you ripped a hole into a parallel world where all celestial objects were shaped as the heads of Sesame Street characters.

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ships have gone to warp within solar systems oodles of times. The only problems seem to arise when close to massive sources of gravity, like a star (as in "By Inferno's Light")

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that Phoenix made its short hop at warp, then turned around and maybe another hop back. I think it's likely that only the crew capsule got back safely by parachute. But didn't Picard, as he caressed the booster/warp section, say something about having wanted to touch Phoenix while it was in the Smithsonian/ This suggests to me that that part of the ship had somehow made it into the museum. Maybe it was brought back inside a space shuttle after being in space for a few years?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if the nacelles can pull back into the missile body afterwards... that would make it a bit easier to land the ship. But even with parachutes, I'm sure it would be a rough ride down. For one thing, there isn't likely to be enough fuel for a powered landing. Another- what about heat shielding for during the re-entry? If they didn't have something like that, we'd have Roast Cochrane to serve the Vulcans when they landed. (Oops-- I forgot, they're vegetarians. )

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nose cone seemed heat-shielded in a "traditional" way - the surface was tiled with presumably heat-resistant materials. Of course, the super-duper rocket tech of that era could have given the pod a relatively low reentry speed, and a big enough parachute opened high in the stratosphere could have helped a little more, so that heat-shielding wouldn't have been necessary...

I trust Cochrane left his drive stage in orbit and then sold it to somebody who could afford to bring it down using a big shuttle-type space vehicle. He could also have refitted the drive section for another flight, though - perhaps by installing a bigger pod and a meteoroid shield, plus some extra fuel tanks, thereby creating the ship we see in the original Chronology. (I doubt he risked another hop during his initial test flight, though. If the rocket engines of his ship were as good as those of his liftoff booster, he could have been back home at safe sublight in no time flat.)

Perhaps the Smithsonian has an orbital annex in Picard's time, with weightless old space artifacts floating around in a pressurized bubble for the visitors to touch?

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, because Picard made it quite clear he couldn't touch the Phoenix before.

------------------
Phasers

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we're using an unwarranted assumption:
that the Phoenix used liquid fuels for liftoff.

Alternatives:

Fusion drive. Tad hot for bystanders, but it allows him PLENTY of fuel reserve for a jet landing.

Antimatter Drive. We already assume he has antimatter containment for warp drive. Fine - he allows a small stream of antimatter particles to flow into the rocket nozzle bell - where it meets a spray of water. Zoom. Doesn't pollute - and he can land on his jets. (Assuming landing jacks).

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps