Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Nova Class Shuttlebay location (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Nova Class Shuttlebay location
DeltaFlyer
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the pictures and diagrams I've found label the shuttlebay on the Nova class as being in the traditional Intrepid- class location, on a lower deeck at the rear of the ship. But didn't the first officer of the Euqinox in "Equinox Part II" say that they could escape the doomed ship in a shuttle. "The shuttlebay is just two decks down."
Does anyone officially know where the Nova class shuttlebay is?

------------------
Delta Flyer

IP: Logged
Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you realize that the Equinox is only about 4 decks thick, if even that. So it is quite possible that the shuttlebay is only "two decks down."

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Equinox has eight decks, per the MSD. Which means that a) the crewman had no idea what he was talking about, or b) the Equinox *had* a shuttle somewhere on deck three. given all the banging up the ship had been through, it wouldn't surprise me at all if they had retrofitted a one-shuttle room for emergiencies, or to replace nonfunctional escape pods or shuttles.

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To wit:
http://thefsd.tripod.com/sttm/equinox.html

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

[This message has been edited by Mark Nguyen (edited May 10, 2001).]

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My apologies, I just looked at a pic of the Equinox a few minutes after I posted, and you're all quite right. I retract my previous statement.

------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look more closely to THIS PICTURE...

Is it me or is the bridge on deck 2??

------------------
"We have a good arrangement. He supplies the weapons, I use them."
- Blade

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't, for some reason.

Anyway, Rick's own sketch would place shuttlebay on deck four, and bridge on deck one. There are two decks between deck one and deck four - so "the shuttle is just two decks down" isn't technically incorrect, it's just a weird way to use the lingo.

And the shuttlebay could easily take two decks inside, even if the space door is only one deck high. So if there is a doorway on deck 3 to the bay, and perhaps ladders leading from this door to deck 4 where the shuttle is resting, then the statement of "two decks down" is technically perfectly correct. The shuttlebay can be reached by going down two decks, plus a set of internal ladders that does not deserve special mention.

Was a two-deck shuttlebay featured in the MSD? It'd look really odd if the bay was just one deck high.

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Altair is referring to the first picture in that Equinox design article, whose perspective intones that the bridge is sunken below the surrounding level of deck one. It certainly looks that way, but if it *is* sunken than I doubt it's by a full deck...

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but if the bridge is sunken, the remaing 'ring' probably wouldn't be considered a deck, so technically, the bridge is still on One.

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "ring" that extends above the bridge probably contains equipment and has a corridor underneath that cirlces the bridge. The extending portion of the "ring" is probably included in Deck One, as are the bridge and that corridor.

I'm assuming alot here, I know.

edit: OK. Looking at the beauty shot again, the bridge appears to be on the same deck as the raised area that comes off of the saucer. The highest level with windows. So we've got deck one containing the bridge and what look to be either big crew quarters or some type of lounges. Possibly the briefing room and/or the ready room. That whole raised area is deck one. The relatively thin extending ring could be anything.

------------------
"The sons of the Prophet were valiant and bold,
And quite unacustomed to fear.
But, of all, the most reckless, or so I am told,
Was Abdulah Boul Boul Ameer."
Aban's Illustration www.alanfore.com

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited May 11, 2001).]

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mark:
On the plans I'm working on (based on the MSD), the shuttlebay is indeed on deck 4 - and there isn't enough "head room" to give it 2-deck height. The next set of doors up is the cargo bay, the next after that is actually the impulse drive. So the crewman had to be wrong.

Never rule out bad writing...

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Gammera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what if they mean the yacht/areo-wing thing under the primary hull, it looks like it is on deck 4, but what if to get in you have to go to deck 3?

IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Well, I made a larger scan of the deck breakdown in question. It gives a better view of where the shuttlebay is and how one can get to it:
http://www.thepurplebuffalo.net/~mark/Novadeck.jpg

There certainly seems to be enough room to have at least part of the shuttlebay be two decks tall, and thus for the crewman's wording to work.

Also, Rick once communicated to his newsgroup that his deck heights are 16' and 18' for decks 3 and 4. Does that help any?

Mark

------------------

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That "ring" around the bridge is exactly the same design as that of the Defiant. And the Defiant's bridge was definitely on deck one.

It's just a slightly different arrangement -- my guess is that that sunken area has a some sensors or something. And if you take a look at a side diagram, that top portion does look a little taller than one deck. So the sunken part is the "normal" ceiling height, and the raised part has sensors or whatever.

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see your point...

------------------
"I don't poke my head into business world too much. All I care about is making the show. And naked stuff."
- Joss Whedon, creator of Buffy the Vampire Slayer

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps