Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 'Enterprise' Concept Confirmed. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: 'Enterprise' Concept Confirmed.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No holodecks? You mean we won't have a "holodeck malfunctions and traps half the senior staff inside during a crisis" episode?! Dear God -- the horror! The horror -- !

You know, Prakesh, I can't help but feel that the majority of this list is just really stupid nitpicking (sorry -- but...).

No arrowhead communicators? Who cares? They were always used inconsistently thoughout TNG, DS9 and VOY! Sometimes you'd have to tap them to open a line of communication, sometimes not. How'd those damn things work, anyway?

No Starfleet logo? The horror! The horror!

Oh my dear god, we won't have the top three warp speeds. The show will suck without those. It can't be a Star Trek series unless you can get to warp nine point nine nine nine nine seven.

Cool! No replicators! Maybe we'll have a cool cook goin' around. Methinks this could also lend itself better to story ideas ... "Captain, we need to send a landing party to the surface to get some food supplies... it'll be dangerous..."

Unless the USS and NCC designations were in use BEFORE Starfleet was created, and simply transfered over from whichever organization was using them before. Would make sense, since Starfleet seems dominated by Earth. "Hey, we're going to create a unified military. As a show of grace, we're going to donate Earth Fleet's fifty ships to Starfleet..."

Did DS9 have 1701? No. DS9 did great. Let's not go around assuming the series will suck because the Enterprise's registry isn't 1701.

No LCARS? Who cares?

No glowing things? Maybe some stuff in the engine room, but, uh, ... ? Who cares ... ?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited May 12, 2001).]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a thought, but is it possible that the cast listed aren't the SENIOR officers on the ship, but the ONLY officers on the ship? Could it be that small?

------------------
"How do you define fool?"
"I don't attempt it. I wait for demonstrations. They inevitably surpass my imagination."
- CJ Cherryh, Invader

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If they have any decency left in their wretched bodies they WILL portray the klingons WITHOUT ridges, as Worf confirmed that they in fact DID look different back then.
Maybe these "new" old klingons can regain some of the dignity they lost to Gowron, that crazy mother.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ummmm. I had a thought. I don't see how this can be a prequil series set on a ship named Enterprise. In Star Trek there were only 9 Enterprises. The Enterprise NCC-1701, Enterprise NCC-1701-A, B, C, D, and E. There was the aircraft carrier Enterprise and the Space shuttle Enterprise. Finally we have a space ship called Enterprise that was built before the NCC-1701 but if memory is serveing me well, it was nothing more than a dinky sublight ship. I can't remember where I read about the sublight Enterprise, but I do remember that you could see a picture of it in ST: TMP. It looked like a long rod with two rings around it. Unless Series V is about this ship, I don't see how it can be a prequil series. (A ship with only sublight capabilities would be kind of boring. No seeking out new life and new civilazations sense it would take to long to get anywhere.) Unless, of course, Berman decides to destroy a little more continuity and throw in yet another Enterprise some time after the sublight ship, but before the NCC-1701

In all honesty, I am hoping for a NCV-1701 Enterprise or, as corney as it sounds, a NCC-1701-G Enterprise or something like that.

------------------
"We have to get drunk immediately."----Gattaca

[This message has been edited by MIB (edited May 12, 2001).]

IP: Logged
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Prequil?" Is that a new type of cold medication?

:::sighs::: IS it me, or are we getting stupider in here. Oh wait. Colleges are letting out...which means schools are letting out.

That explains it.

"You've got a brain, son. Use it for something other than filler to keep the air pressure from caving in your skull." --Kenny Bell

------------------
"Boinky ensued, and a great time was had by all." --Book of Nigel, Chapter 4, verse 32

devin.clancy
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We know nothing canonical about the space ship Enterprise except how it looks. The only reference to it ever was the picture on the wall in TMP.

And just to drive this board crazy, they could go and insert a picture from the Prequel series in the Special Edition DVD.

------------------

IP: Logged
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THat *would* be kinda cool, woudln't it?

Anyway, regardless of what the new ship looks like, it's hardly the first time they've revised an Enterprise. Remember, the E-C looked nothing like its model on the E-D conference lounge wall... Wasn't that one reason why they got rid of that mural thing in the fifth season?

Mark

------------------
"Why build one, when you can have two at twice the price?"

- Carl Sagan, "Contact"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Nimrod, Worf said: "We don't like to talk about it." He didn't say why the Klingons in D-7 didn't have ridges, he didn't explain it at all. So there's no reason why the prequel Klingons couldn't have ridges.

Omega, that's an interesting thought about the senior staff being the only officers aboard, but somehow, given Trek's enlisted track record, I think we'll still see some nameless ensigns getting blown up every week ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited May 12, 2001).]

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For once I'll keep my mouth shut, I have no clue on what I should think on this new Enterprise.

------------------
The whole concept of Survivor is that nameless adults go at each other and try to outwit each other. In reality after the first episode of the show, each one will make a least over a thousand dollars for making appearences on some talk show. The first survivor, the Gay Guy now works at E.T. as a Survivor Consultent, where he gives advice to the new survivors. Not only did he win a million dollars that he now makes twice as much as what most of us make in 5 years.

I highly doubt that hes gay, made his own son run, and walk naked around the site. It was all tactics to get him win a million dollars. Right now I bet hes fucking some girl. Jerry from the second Survivro is something because everyone talks alot about her. The whole concept of Surivivor sucks, and it should end with the second one.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Er.

This became a Survivor rant? Or is that your sig?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About my previous post:

Those points were *not* things I don't like about the new ship.
It is more of a checklist: the new ship has to adhere to these points to be believable. It was just to show that they'll probably screw it up.

Just a little misunderstandment.

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Ahh - ! Gotcha.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ringship appeared in more than just TMP. According to a Star Trek - The Magazine article, it's based on an early Matt Jefferies design for 1701. The article is reproduced here:
http://thefsd.tripod.com/sttm/1701.html

The admittedly non-canon Spaceflight Chronology, an official tie-in with TMP, says this was not a sublight ship, but a Declaration-class starliner with a cruising speed of Warp 3.2.

------------------
Never give up. Never surrender.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, these rings are likely to be two giant warp coils.

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably not unlike the Vulcan ships in "Unification II".

------------------
Lister: "Cat, what are you doing?"
Cat: "I'm courting."
Lister: "Courting who?"
Cat: "Whoever shows up!"
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps