Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 'Enterprise' Concept Confirmed. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: 'Enterprise' Concept Confirmed.
MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Quote]The admittedly non-canon Spaceflight Chronology, an official tie-in with TMP, says this was not a sublight ship, but a Declaration-class starliner with a cruising speed of Warp 3.2.[End Quote]

hmmmmm. A starliner named Enterprise. Wheather this info is correct or not, the ring ship was the ONLY enterprise that was cruising the galaxy before TOS. Unless Bermen decides to destroy more Star Trek continuity. A 'prequil' series would HAVE to take place on this ship. But a super slow, apparently non-starfleet (I'm assuming it's non-starfleet because it doesn't have any starfleet markings. IE: a registry number.) starliner? *sigh* That would be kinda lame.

------------------
"We have to get drunk immediately."----Gattaca

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm.

Could someone tell me where someone says, "this is the only previous starship Enterprise?"

Or, did you forget the NASA shuttle Enterprise? God-damn NASA, destroying Star Trek continuity! The BASTARDS!

You guys must've had a fit when Saavik was played by two different people. Or the Klingon ship's bridge changed between III & IV.

Chill.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited May 13, 2001).]

MIB
Ex-Member

I meant before TOS, but after 'real' modern time. As for the changing Klingon bridges and two different Romulans played by the same guy; I really don't gave a rat's ass about that.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MIB (edited May 13, 2001).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not necessarily the "only" one. There's actually a precedent.

The TNG bas-relief went from nuclear carrier to Constitution. No shuttle, not ringship, nothing. Nothing before the carrier, either. So fidget room exists.

------------------
"Boinky ensued, and a great time was had by all." --Book of Nigel, Chapter 4, verse 32

MIB
Ex-Member

No. That's not true. In ST: TMP you can see a wall in the rec-room that had pictures and presumably brief histories of all the previous Enterprises that came before the NCC-1701. There was the Aircraft carrier Enterprise, The Space shuttle Enterprise, The "Ring ship" Enterprise, and the NCC-1701 herself. If there was another Enterprise, wouldn't it have showed up on the rec-room exhibit? I would think so.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What he's saying is that the TNG wall display excluded the sailing ship, space shuttle, and ring ship. So, why couldn't there have been ships that the TMP display excluded?

As a matter of fact, the US navy has had two aircraft carriers named Enterprise. So the CV-6 (the original non-nuclear carrier) is already missing from the TMP display. Who knows what else might be...?

------------------
Lister: "Cat, what are you doing?"
Cat: "I'm courting."
Lister: "Courting who?"
Cat: "Whoever shows up!"
-Red Dwarf, "Me�"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A brigantine, a bark, & Masao's Yorktown-class carrier. That's just the USS Enterprises, mind you; there have been some HMS Enterprise as well.

------------------
"Boinky ensued, and a great time was had by all." --Book of Nigel, Chapter 4, verse 32

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll change my sig.

Anyway could it be possible that Starfleet did build a another Enterprise before the TOS version? Of course the ship will have a different number possibly in the three digit range. This is possible because why would anyone count that ship as being THE newest Enteprise anyway. In that same REC room they don't have the other carrier Enteprise, which in my opinion is a more famous one than the nuclear one.

------------------
The whole concept of Survivor is that nameless adults go at each other and try to outwit each other. In reality after the first episode of the show, each one will make a least over a thousand dollars for making appearences on some talk show. The first survivor, the Gay Guy now works at E.T. as a Survivor Consultent, where he gives advice to the new survivors. Not only did he win a million dollars that he now makes twice as much as what most of us make in 5 years.

I highly doubt that hes gay, made his own son run, and walk naked around the site. It was all tactics to get him win a million dollars. Right now I bet hes fucking some girl. Jerry from the second Survivro is something because everyone talks alot about her. The whole concept of Surivivor sucks, and it should end with the second one.

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been a long time since I last watched TMP and I really don't want to haul out the laserdisc (bastards aren't going to make me shell out again for DVD copies). But I could have sworn there was some kind of sailing vessel in the display.

In OUR history, CV 6 had a more distinguished history than CVN 65. No telling in the Trek universe. 65 would have been still in service during the Eugenics War and possibly World War III and might have racked up a very impressive combat record.

I was always under the impression that the Klingon bridge changed because Scotty was one goddamn miracle worker.

------------------
Never give up. Never surrender.

MIB
Ex-Member

*sigh* whatever. In all honesty I'm trying to build a false world for myself. A world where series 5 ISN'T a prequil series. Eventhough it hasn't been confirmed to be a prequil series, I have this sinking feeling that it is. So please let me live on in my dream world. *sniff. sob.*

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chen: Yes, there was.

------------------
Lister: "Drop dead, Rimmer."
Rimmer: "Already have done."
Lister: "Encore."
-Red Dwarf, "Kryten"

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited May 14, 2001).]

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here are my thoughts on the previous Enterprises debate. Neither the mural in the Enterprise-D observation lounge nor the picture alcove in the recreation room on the refit Enterprise are wholly correct.

As has been pointed out earlier, the Enterprise-D's mural had an Enterprise-C that differed fairly significantly from the actual Ambassador class model. In addition, it neglected the "Declaration class" starliner and the NASA space shuttle. The refit Enterprise's pictures showed the aircraft carrier, shuttle, starliner, and original Enterprise.

However, the Enterprise has a proud history as wooden naval vessels. http://home.att.net/~enterprise1701d/sailships/ is a list and description of some of the early sailing ships named Enterprise. None of these were ever illustrated on the mural or pictures (although one was portrayed in the holodeck scene of Star Trek: Generations).

I'm mentioning this to make the point that the possibility of a pre-TOS/pre-Starfleet Enterprise that is not a "Declaration class" starliner existing is plausible. We've never had anyone sit down and completely list all the Enterprises of history anywhere in Star Trek.

------------------
God (using a Devil hand puppet): Yaagh! I'm the Devil! I'm evil! I'm spooky! I'm dark! And I'm evil! Gimme an "E!" Gimme a "V!" Gimme a "U!" Gimme an "L!" What's that spell? Evil! Goooo EVIL!
Devil: Hey, yo, that shit ain't funny!
--from Tatsuya Ishida's Sinfest

Founder, president, CEO, CFO, COO, under-secretary general, mascot, and caterer of the APAO

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition to Siegfried's and others' listings, there's a third aircraft carrier Enterprise missing from the displays - the one that we saw in ST4. It definitely wasn't CV-6 nor CVN-65, but a CVN of a fictional type.

I think I once suggested this already, but I think the TMP display could be "grouped". Each of those five display screens could be more than an inert painting. Instead, each would portray the full histories of ships named Enterprise and belonging to a certain category. The first one would display sailing ships Enterprise. The second one would display modern warships Enterprise, including the three carriers and possible other seagoing modern Enterprises. The third one would display primitive spacecraft Enterprise, including the space shuttle and potential other craft. The fourth display would then show advanced spacecraft Enterprise, including the ring ship plus umpteen others. And finally, the fifth display would show the first starship Enterprise, before her refit.

The level of detail would increase display by display, while the number of vessels would decrease - from the dozens of sailing ships in the first display to the single starship in the fifth.

And the previous user of this display had simply left it so that the fourth screen displayed the ring ship, instead of the soon-to-become-famous hero ship of Series VI.

Timo Saloniemi

Shik
Member # 343

Yeah...the ST4 carrier was actually USS Ranger (CV-61), a Forrestal-class conventionally-powered carrier.

------------------

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe Starfleet decided that Series V was crap and covered the entire existence of the new old Enterpise up.

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps