Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise: a Checklist (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Enterprise: a Checklist
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just to show what the Powers can fuck up when designing the 22nd century, here's a checklist:

(Based on fact that stories are set in the 2150's)

The (S.S.?) Enterprise
No phasers:
Worf said the 22nd didn't have phasers, and Pike used lasers. Will they actually dare to put kitschy phasers on a sci-fi ship in 2001?

No holodecks
This Emergence Plot Device used in the modern series, it will not be available in the 22nd century. (Although TAS did once feature a holodeck like room on the original Enterprise)

No replicators
Established in some TOS eps, TUC and "Flashback" (VOY)

No Starfleet logos
The ships not in the Starfleet!

No "USS" or "NCC"
It is either a "S.S." or a "U.E.N."
I hope they will actually use real regos, like Masao.

No "1701"
I DO NOT WANT TO SEE 1701 on that hull!

No Warp 7,8 or 9
Allegedly, Warp 4 is the limit. This will likely not prohibit the Enterprise from 'going boldy'.

No arrowhead-communicators
We need something even sillier than the flip-top communicators.

No LCARS
I completely trust Okuda's abilities to make the sets look very believabe 22nd century Trek.

No glowy things, except for the 'Buzzard' ramscoops.
No ship before (or during) TOS ever had glowy things, like the blue grid or a navdev. We need the old-fashioned Navigational Disc back!

No subspace communication!
Kirk said subspace com had not been invented hundered years before TOS (This makes me think the Vulcans were VERY reluctant to share tech with Earth). This will most likely be violated for drama's sake.

It would be at least interesting to see if (and how) they'll portray the Earth-Romulan War (2156-2161) or the signing of the Federation treaties (2161).

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Encyclopedia says the treaty ending the Terro-Romulan War was done by subspace radio. I believe it was established in "Balance of Terror".

What is this "blue grid" of which you speak?

And it's okay if we see the old Starfleet symbols. There's no reason to think the symbols were invented specifically by/for SF. They could have lifted the symbols off UESPA, or whoever was around then.

------------------
Lister: "Drop dead, Rimmer."
Rimmer: "Already have done."
Lister: "Encore."
-Red Dwarf, "Kryten"

Tech Sergeant Chen
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Tech Sergeant Chen         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the domes on the aft ends of 1701 glow dimly white? Or was I just imagining things?

------------------
Never give up. Never surrender.

Zor Prime
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we CANNOT meet the Romulans in person. The Earth people can't I mean. In Balance of Terror, it was a huge plot point that Earth and the Romulans never saw each other, and that Spock looks like them when we do see them (gasp).
The writers better do their research.
I'm still pissed that the Voyager crew went down to Earth in the middle of the Eugenics Wars (circa 1996), and never mentioned them!
Oh well..

IP: Logged
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny, I don't remember the Eugenics Wars.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

TheF0rce
Member # 533

- posted      Profile for TheF0rce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh it happened last week
you just missed it

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eugenics War ... ?

You know, for all the bitchin' people do about Trek messing up its own continuity, I'm surprised people aren't mad that real life is messing up continuity ...

Now, re: Worf & the Phasers -- are you sure Worf was speaking of all phasers? Perhaps just hand-held phasers hadn't been created yet? A pre-phaser starship could be armed with plasma weapons or disruptors instead of lasers.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

[This message has been edited by JeffKardde (edited May 14, 2001).]

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
What is this "blue grid" of which you speak?

The blue glowy stuff on the warp engines. Can't remember what they are called.

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones.
Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, Ænima

---

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean the nacelle field grills? As in the thing that shattered on the nacelle when the Bozeman collided with the E-D?

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps what they think of as the Eugenics War was just all the current hoo-hah about genetically modified food. . . 8)

------------------
Phasers

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Nacelle field grid! That's the thing I meant.

No TOS (or Fandom) ship ever had these things, IIRC.

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones. Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, �nima
---

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Prakesh:
You realize of course that if they go strictly canon on a pre-TOS ship - we'll be talking uniforms, decor, controls and gadgets even stupider than "The Cage".

Ghaaaa.....

If the enjoyment of Sci-Fi requires the "willing suspension of disbelief", the enjoyment of the next series may require the "willing suspension of cerebral cortical and colloidal activity".

Note to self: When you first saw the publicity photos for Star Trek the Motion Picture, you were aghast - you said that Star Trek had to keep the tech-base from the original series. When you saw the publicity photos for The Next Generation, you were aghast again - "Holiday Inn in Space" you said. Give the new series a chance...

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Treknophyle that the new series can't have devices that look more primitive than what we have seen on TOS. I always thought the props of TOS were stylized renditions of what they really look and do.

On the other hand, if the set and prop designers will basically continue with the current appearance and functions and create only a very slight retro look, they do it in the wrong time. What is the point of making a Pre-TOS series then? The least I would expect would be a ship without arrowhead, without the traditional saucer and nacelles, without a transporter, with lasers and missiles only, and with a maximum speed that makes the travel between the stars several weeks or months long. Why am I so sure that none of the above restrictions will apply to the new series? By extending the design lineage to the remote past (which includes the name of the ship) they create unnecessary "continuity" for the occasional viewer, but annoy true fans.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
...but annoy true fans.

Um, who baptised you and me and anyone else who is interested in the minute details of the franchise as the only "true fans." Is John Q. Public who watched every single episode of TNG and enjoyed it wholehearted but didn't pay much attention to what deck the Captain's Yacht was on not a true fan? And if he doesn't watch Voyager these days because he'd rather be watching ostensibly better shows like Law & Order and The West Wing, is he not a true fan? Sorry, Bernd, I usually respect your opinions, but it's this sort of upturned nose reaction to what the general public finds in Trek that irritates the hell out of me. Believe it or not, not all the viewers out there who don't watch Trek are instead hungrily lapping up WWF SmackDown and Chains of Love. The entire elitist bunker mentality that has developed since Trek's ratings have dropped disgusts me at times, and some of the comments towards Enterprise seen on the net, not so much yours as others, are making this one of those times.

Onto other matters:
I've always rationalized the "dated" look of TOS as a kind of style phase that the UFP went through in the 2260s. Some of the attitudes the DS9 crew displayed towards the mid 23rd century in "Trials and Tribble-ations" seemed in keeping with the idea that these were a few quirky decades the Federation went through with a unique look.

As to whether its possible to show a look midway between TOS and today without looking kitschier than TOS, I'm surprised everyone finds it such a big deal. Plenty of recent science fiction offerings have had a production design that reflected a lower level of technology than TOS that still looked futuristic.

------------------
"And as it is, it is cheaper than drinking."
-DT on arguing with Omega, April 30

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A more interesting approach could also be taken - the series VI era could be another of those "quirky" periods in Trek history, thereby establishing the concept of "quirkiness" as valid in that universe, as well as providing entertaining visions.

Perhaps people during Series VI are into dueling, or extravagant hairdos, or nudity save for covering of feet and index fingers? Or not shaving, or removing their outer ears through plastic surgery, or promoting organized crime? Or perhaps they are like TOS people, unable to be truly original and thereby choosing to imitate the 1730s or the 2120s?

At the very least, the uniforms and other attire of the valiant crew should have some weird anachronisms - perhaps dress space-helmets, or symbolic wristwatches, or exaggerated "pressure-suit joints" on their jackets and trousers to remind of the early days of spaceflight?

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps