Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise: a Checklist (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Enterprise: a Checklist
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo, you are either quite brilliant or quite mad. I haven't decided.

------------------
OH NO< THE OLD MAN WALKS HIS GREEN DOG THAT SHOTS PINBALLS!~!!!
--
Jeff K
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" and nothing at all will happen.

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
re the Romulans

They could do some cloak-and-dagger stuff with the whole (dare I say it?) Section 31 stuff. That way, there would never be any official meeting of Romulans and humans.

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The_Tom: I'm aware it's somewhat arrogant to speak of "true fans" as opposed to the general audience. Maybe it was just the wrong choice of words. I believe that people who don't just consume TV like fast food are not an elitist group. Reflection is an important part also of TV formats that are made primarily for entertainment or even comedy (well, I would exclude obvious trash like "Big Brother" or WWF). That's one more reason why Star Trek has to be especially careful to keep its quality standards.

I think at some point everyone, the regular as well as the occasional viewer, will notice if something is wrong with a TV show. The fan will notice a lack of original stories and inconsistencies, while the general audience will prefer other TV shows over single random Trek episodes and will watch Star Trek less frequently. I think the goal of satisfying both types of viewers is accomplishable. But it's not accomplished by imitating other shows or by showing space battles or bizarre aliens every week. On the contrary, it is amazing that fans and normal TV viewers have the same favorite episodes like "The Trouble with Tribbles", or "The Best of Both Worlds". Star Trek always had some alleged (according to the opinions of the studio or TV network superiors) and often silly concessions to the average viewers (like Kirk's famous torn shirts in TOS, or Seven who luckily evolved beyond the mere "space babe"), but fortunately this never ruled the show.

I'm against every form of "impossible stories" or a "reset button", and I think that even the occasional viewers appreciate that Star Trek has an inner consistency. My impression is that TPTB think the average viewer is stupid, because they feel the need to present them a ship named "Enterprise" (as if not any other name would do as well) that probably looks like the NCC-1701 everyone knows, with basically all the same characters and technology of the later centuries. Superficially it's all the same again, but that's just the wrong kind of consistency. It's like a big sign saying: "See and believe. This is supposed to be Star Trek".

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When TNG came out, Troi was originally promoted as being "like Spock, but she sleeps with everyone."

------------------
Phasers

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Bernd, the reason they're presenting the viewer with a ship named Enterprise is because Paramount shot down each and every series proposal brought to them for the simple reason that they (Paramount) demanded a starship named Enterprise.

So, in this case, the naming of the ship is the direct result of TPTBs' PTB.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
Card-Carrying Member of the Flare APAO
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that the 'General Audience' is always held to be completely stupid? Every series, not only ST, does this.

------------------
"Fuck L Ron Hubbard and fuck all his clones. Fuck all those gun-toting
hip gangster wannabes."
-Tool, �nima
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd Buddy:

Regarding Nomenclature (non-elistist):
Subset of fan of television show "Star Trek" who is mildly to extremely intersted in the show's "fictional universe, and the details and consistency pertaining thereto.

The non-elitist term you should be using is: "Trekkie". This is the term which non-fans of the show (and even fans who are not as interested as ourselves) use to describe us.

I am proud to number myself amongst their numbers.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps