Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Does anyone know if this is... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Does anyone know if this is...
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was Okuda who revealed the identity of the Leeds, I believe. But I think it's been in the DS9 credits right from the start, the presence of a Nebula docked with the station has always been there.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Argh.. I typed this response without reading the second and third pages, so forgive the needless repetition.

Point the first: I'm almost positive it's physical. As noted by pretty much everyone, the Nebbie wasn't CGI'ed until "Waltz" to serve as the Honshu.

Point the second: Considering that at the time the model went off-duty and did the exhibition circuit it was labelled as the Leeds (IIRC this is where the name first cropped up, with confirmation that the model had indeed been labelled as such for the DS9 opening credits coming later) and that the VFX work for the DS9 credits was done between Generations and First Contact, this Nebbie almost has to be the Leeds, no? It seems unlikely it would be relabeled for what is essentially a "cameo" role in First Contact and then be labelled back to what it had been before and sent out to the exhibitions, with nobody even knowing whether the ships had even appeared onscreen as the Leeds in the first place...

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After watching the battle, I think the Nebula is the USS Leeds.

There has been a question about the identity of the Miranda Class starship in Generations. If we assume that the Miranda or Mirandas seen in First Contact are this model, we may have a slight lead.

As the USS Defiant approaches the Borg cube, we see in the northeast corner of the screen a lone Miranda. This ship is seen from the bottom. She makes a run at the Borg cube, fires weapons, turns to her port, and retreats. I have this much of her registry: NCC-xxxxx. Can we get a high-resolution picture of this ship? Thank you.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last use of the Miranda had been in WotW, (yikes, they must have restored the Saratoga-modification to the original configuration for just that one weeny shot) so I imagine again its got the same markings as whatever that ship had...

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Can we get a high-resolution picture of this ship?

I have FC on DVD. So, if you tell me how to make a high-resolution picture, I'll try it.

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

colin
Member # 217

Spike,
On another thread, a person write that high resolution threads were possible on DVD.
This ship appears in Chapter 4, 2.16 to 2.18.

When the person, you or someone else does the 'capture', look at the right edge of the screen. You will see a Miranda Class starship speed to the Borg ship, turn to the port, and head off from the battle in an oblique angle. The registry is briefly visible at 2.18.

colin
Member # 217

Spike,
On another thread, a person write that high resolution scans were possible on DVD.
This ship appears in Chapter 4, 2.16 to 2.18.

When the person, you or someone else does the 'capture', look at the right edge of the screen. You will see a Miranda Class starship speed to the Borg ship, turn to the port, and head off from the battle in an oblique angle. The registry is briefly visible at 2.18.

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn, I really should read the 2nd and 3rd page before posting...

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Dax ]

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know which Miranda but I need some advice to make a usefull screenshot. Usually I use the screenshot-tool of my DVD-Player, but those screenshots look like that:
http://flareupload.hypermart.net/files/fc_miranda.jpg

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, you guys all got the jump on me.

I'll just re-hash anyways:

The last thing that the physical Nebula model was known to be labeled with is U.S.S. Leeds NCC-70352, from the fourth and fifth season DS9 opening credits. So, if the FC ship is the physical model, it will be the Leeds. However, are we absolutely sure it's not CGI, because that would make sense, seeing as how most of the other ships from FC (Akira, Saber, Steamrunner, Norway, Ent-E [In some shots], Defiant [same], and possibly Miranda) were CGI. But, if you're correct about the CGI Nebbie first appearing as the Honshu, then that theory is out.

In any case, the ship in question is supposed to represent the Lexington, I believe.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mim, in your opinion, it's the Lexington, but so far there's no evidence to say it has to be Lexington or Endeavour. In fact, from what we can deduce, it's the Leeds. There's no info that says that the Leeds could not have been there.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: PopMaze ]

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: PopMaze ]

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

colin
Member # 217

Background
In "Interface", the USS Hera has 300 crew members. An encyclopedia entry identifies this ship as Nebula Class.

First Contact
In the first minutes of battle, the USS Lexington, a Nebula Class starship, suffered casualities:
Dead-99
Wounded-42
------------------
Total-141

This is 47% of her crew that were either dead or wounded. Lexington was frelled and couldn't the party at Earth.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: targetemployee ]

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
300 for a Nebbie??? If the thing must have very nearly the same internal volume and how the hell do they have 700 less people? BTW - fewer decks my ass.

Same saucer = Same decks

Same saucer w/ less windows = Same saucer w/ less windows

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Caulfield
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I've got an image of the Miranda-class from the DVD, but I don't know how to show it here: Can someone contact me, so I can send you the picture and you post it in this forum?

As you will see, the regestry number is not clearly visiby, but in my opinion, there are only 4 digits on the hull. And, the warp nacelles are not glowing.

IP: Logged
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Who said the Hera was fully manned?
Just because on nebbie has that number of people aboard, doesn't mean they all do. Point in case the U.S.S. Grissom NCC-42857 was an excelsior-class ship, which is alot smaller than a Nebula & had a few thousand aboard as I recall.

besides it was 22 wounded I belive.

[ July 18, 2001: Message edited by: Reverend ]

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps