Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Preview: Klingon ship database (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Preview: Klingon ship database
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IKC Bad-ass-Dude-who-kicks-the-shit-out-of-the-dishonoured doesn't work, Andrew?

Most Decipher ship names are pulled straight from the episodes, but some are "made up" and are self-admittedly non-canon, FWIW. Interestingly, they came up with IKC Fek'lyr back in 1995 and then the DS9 Art Dept. used the same name (or appears to have used it) on that casualty schematic we were debating not so long ago. Probably coincidence, but neat nonetheless.

[ November 25, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC those cards said that the Fek'lhr and the Chang are the two Klingon ships from "All Good Things...". Maybe Phelps can check if the names come from the script?

--------------------
"Never give up. And never, under any circumstances, no matter what - never face the facts." - Ruth Gordon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
IKC Bad-ass-Dude-who-kicks-the-shit-out-of-the-dishonoured doesn't work, Andrew?

Well, when you put it like that

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pIn'a' Sov:
AndrewR: I don�t know what the problem is, on my monitor my screencaps look just fine

This ship perhaps:
http://neutralzone.my100megs.com/KlingonNoggra03.htm

That would have made a really good Klingon starship (i.e. a D-4) for the Enterprise series.

Guardian 2000

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Certainly.

What sort of ship IS it, really? It need not be a dedicated transport, just because it was seen transporting Skreeans in "Sanctuary". Perhaps it indeed is an old-model warship, and the House of Noggra was small and insignificant enough to have one of those instead of a D-7 or a Vor'Cha as the House flagship. Klingons might have loaned a couple of those for emergency transport use in "Sanctuary".

I don't think we have to mind the fact that Noggra claimed "Rodek" had been injured in a shuttle accident. Clearly, a shuttle could not have made the transit from some other system to Bajor. So Noggra's cover story would probably involve the shuttle being launched from this big ship, suffering an accident, being recovered by the ship, and "Rodek" being delivered to the nearest proper medical facility (the same episode showed that even Klingons don't trust Klingon facilities much).

Timo Saloniemi

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There have been several instances in ST's past where the term "shuttle" didn't refer to an actual shuttle. In the TNG ep where Wesley returned from Starfleet academy, the dialog states that he arrived by shuttle. However, the establishing shot clearly showed the Enterprise rendesvoused with an Oberth. Also, in DS9, Damar once called a Hideki-class ship a "Cardassian shuttle," when it's obvious that a Hideki isn't a shuttle at all.

Perhaps, like the above examples, Noggra was referring to his method of transportation rather that the actual ship itself when he said "shuttle."

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The January 1992 issue of American Cinematographer has a bunch of articles on ST VI and the 25th anniversary of the franchise. One article has some quotes from Bill George about modifications to the filming models.

About the Klingon ship: "That model needed to be repainted anyway, so I proposed that we make it look very distinct from those in the fist film, especially since it was one fo the few models we could alter to look new for this show. We did some research into military costuming, and came up with the concept that when these ships return victorious from battle, the Klingons build some sort of epaulet onto their wings or paint a new stripe on. We painted the model brown and red with gold highlights, then added golden etched brass epaulets on it, based on some of the helmet designs we'd seen. It contrasts nicely with the Enterprise, which is very smooth and monochromatic and cool, while this Klingon ship is very regal and ostentatious and warm."

He also mentions that the Excelsior model got a new, smaller bridge, since the interiors were shot with the redressed Enterprise bridge rather than the one used in STIII.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps