Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » ["Cold Front" $$$] About the Temporal Cold War... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: ["Cold Front" $$$] About the Temporal Cold War...
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You see, that's what happens when MIB is exposed to a vacuum..

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do believe that Daniels was a real person who has been genetically modifed for extended time-travel without developing temporal psychosis. As for the Shadowy Future Guy, Daniels said that in the century he comes from, people can only, "partially materialize in the past to give orders," or something to that effect. Archer asks, "But, not you?" and Daniels responds, "in the following years we eventually perfected the process." This leads me to believe that he is actually there and that he is not a hologram.

As for the funky disruptor effect, I have a theory for that as well. That disruption effect that started to surround Daniels may not have been a hologram breaking down, but it might have been a transporter trying to beam him back into the future. It could be some kind of auto-retrieve program at work. Maybe if a time-traveler is severely injured, he/she atuomatically gets pulled back into the future for fear that his/her cover would be blown if a hospital checks who the time-traveler is and finds out that he/she doesn't 'offically' exsist.

IP: Logged
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think we've seen that in the Star Trek universe, the timeline is fixed rather than mutable. I don't think we've ever seen an instance of an actual alternate timeline that hasn't been "corrected." This leads me to believe that as far as ST goes, everything that DOES happen is SUPPOSED to happen. The events of this episode do not change the timeline, they merely further it along the course it will run.

-MMoM

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I don't think that timeline ever recovered from "Yesterday's Enterprise." So it looks like everything from 2344 on is an altered history.

On the other hand, I don't think Enterprise was supposed to be in a position to be destroyed in the first place. If we assume the Shadowy FutureGuy has temporal technology on par with Annorax from "The Year of Hell," he can predict which actions by Silik could cause Enterprise to be struck by that particular plasma flare. Thus, he could arrange for himself to be their to save the ship. Of course, this then leads to the possibility that Shadowy FutureGuy already knew that Silik was going to fail. That is, of course, unless Shadowy Future Guy is interfering in things all at once. That is, he's in his temporal chamber giving orders for about twenty minutes in his time frame. But he's jumping to points all over the seven-year time frame of Enterprise.

Great googly moogly, my head hurts now.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not altered, though. That was merely what was "supposed" to happen.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a strange feeling that a pointy-eared alien is behind all of this...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, no, NOT the Vorta!

Or did you mean another pointy-eared alien?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could also argue that everything since "Generations" is an altered timeline. In the "real" universe, Soran and Picard went into the Nexus, and everyone in the Veridian system got mashed into chunky salsa by the shock wave. Picard and Kirk coming out of the Nexus to stop Soran didn't "restore" a timeline that had gone out of whack. It sent the main timeline off in a new direction.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

MIB
Ex-Member

I have narrowed down the century from which Shadow Guy comes from to either the 25th, 26th, or 27th centuries.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MIB:
I have narrowed down the century from which Shadow Guy comes from to either the 25th, 26th, or 27th centuries.

Have you?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Two questions.

How? Evidence?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

Daniels said that the Shadow Guys could only partially materialize in the past to give orders. However, he said that they eventually perfected the process. We know that by the 29th century they have the process perfected because of Braxton's temporal tranporter. We also know that they were capable of completely materializing in the past in the 28th century because Daniels mentioned a group of scientists from the year 27-something were at Giza, witnessing the pyramids construction. No one had the tech to even partially transport themselves in the past by the 24th century.

This means that they must have developed the tech to at least partially transport people back into the past in either the 25th, 26th, or 27th centuries.

No watch me get totally embarrased when it is revealed that the Shadow Guy actually comes from the 16th century or somewhere around there.

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Daniels said that the Shadow Guys could only partially materialize in the past to give orders. However, he said that they eventually perfected the process. We know that by the 29th century they have the process perfected because of Braxton's temporal tranporter.

However, we don't know that Daniels came from the same possible future as Braxton. If he didn't, then this tells us nothing.

quote:
We also know that they were capable of completely materializing in the past in the 28th century because Daniels mentioned a group of scientists from the year 27-something were at Giza, witnessing the pyramids construction.

Daniels never said that the scientists were "at Giza," merely that they were observing. They may have been there, but they may have not. As such, it isn't appropriate to use this as a data point.

quote:
No one had the tech to even partially transport themselves in the past by the 24th century.

This is true. The only things we know for sure are that the humanoid figure comes from after 2377 and before the thirty-first century.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen the episode yet, but I get the impression from these discussions that there's a difference between actually travelling through time, and projecting an image of oneself through time. Braxton and Co. actually physically travel through time. What FutureGuy and possibly Daniels are doing is projecting images of themselves. The difference is that Daniels' method is "perfected": he can interact physically and pretend to really be there. FutureGuy's method is older and imperfect, so he can only appear in that chamber, and can't do anything.

Thus, FutureGuy could still be post-Braxton.

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
However, we don't know that Daniels came from the same possible future
as Braxton. If he didn't, then this tells us nothing.

Hmmm....different possible futures. Now where did I hear that before?

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps