Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Stuff we don't agree on (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Stuff we don't agree on
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As we all know, there's a lot of stuff we don't agree about (gee, what a revelation ). Now, a lot of these things probably won't be resolved any time soon, due to differing viewpoints. My SFSD page represents, well, my own views, because I think they're the right ones. However, I've decided to do some sort of sub-page which would include everything we don't agree on, hopefully making everyone happy and lessening the number of complaints/emails I get saying "No, that's not right, it's really supposed to be..." This page would be self-contained, but linked to where appropriate from the other various pages.

Both Bernd and IdCrisis have something like what I'm proposing, although I'd like mine to be more comprehensive and represent everyone's opinion on the matter. In fact, I think it would be great if, once we have everything sorted out, people would write up something about each topic/problem themselves. TSN could ramble on about the Yamato's registry and City of New Orleans, Tom can provide all his evidence that the little attack-fighters are 35m, etc., and it would all be included and credited accordingly.

However, before this happens, we need a list of all this stuff. I'm talking about everything from long-standing debates like the Melbourne registry and Apollo-class design to recent things like the Ganda/er.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
Ultra Magnus: "I know you're bored, Rodimus, but with the mantle of leadership comes obligations."
Rodimus Prime: "I don't suppose I could interest you in a used mantle?"

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, goody. Can I do "Why there isn't an Excelsior-class USS Lexington?"

Others. . . and one I've been wondering about recently: Can the name of a class ship be used again? Evidence:

- The USS Constitution not having the lowest registry of all Constitution class ships. . .
- A mention of a USS Excelsior in DS9. . .
- The Yeager class and the Sabre-class USS Yeager. . .

Why is it important with so few examples? Because it's (to me) one of the most valid reasons why they haven't had an Enterprise-class.

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, of course a class ship's name can be used again...I'd be surprised if anyone were to disagree, actually.

I was thinking of the Lexington, in fact...it's pretty straightforward, and if you were to write something up, it would be appreciated.

------------------
Ultra Magnus: "I know you're bored, Rodimus, but with the mantle of leadership comes obligations."

[This message was edited by The Shadow on April 24, 1999.]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Frank, would I be able to put my U.S.S. Trial theory on there too? I have some other stuff which I could probably contribute, once I think of it.

------------------
Starfleet Corps of Engineers-Spacecraft Division
www.geocities.com/Area51/Nebula/9266

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am."
-Darth Vader, Return of the Jedi
"Everything is proceeding as I have forseen."
-Emperor Palpatine, Return of the Jedi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Certainly! Er, what exactly is your USS Trial theory?

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. My USS Trial theory is that there is an Excelsior-class refit ship named USS Trial NX-2022. Seeing as where there were a lot of changes made to the basic Excelsior spaceframe, I cojectured that they built a testbed first, hence the NX- registry.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Er...what's the evidence for this, though?

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Of course. I should have known. You always need proof or evidence, Frank. I don't have any evidence. It's simply a theory that has yet to be proven or disproven.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, the whole point of this was to explain topics that have contradicting or ambiguous evidence, not no evidence. I thought the Trial's registry was given somewhere or something.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Okay, here are a few topics (certainly not all of them, though). We know the issues surrounding many of these, but they deserve explanations for those not familiar with them:

- Apollo design
- Yamato registry (TSN)
- New Orleans-class/City of New Orleans-class (TSN)
- 1700 Constitution: class ship? (TSN)
- Melbourne registry
- Curry/Shelley registry
- Shenandoah registry
- Raman registry
- Ganda/er spelling
- Br*ttain spelling
- Jenol*n spelling
- Bozeman: still in use?
- Constellation: still in use?
- Excelsior: still in use?
- Carolina: class?
- Mayflower: exists?
- Discovery: exists?
- Trial: exists?
- Studio models (Leeds/Trinculo/Valkyrie)

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A! Fill all the astericks with an A! Just keep it as Gander.

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."
"Fortune favours the bold."

[This message was edited by Elim Garak on April 24, 1999.]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

But, Elim, not everyone agrees with you, which is the whole point of the exercise.

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*knows*

*likes to be difficult every once in a while*

But there is no way to prove any of this short of asking someone involved with the show or by getting an answer from... *shudders* Stipes.

*at the thought, goes into convulsions*

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, erm, Stipes etc. tend to be wrong, a lot.

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Exactly. But they could easily get some of the stuff right... like a registry. Someone reliable, that is. Not Stipes!

------------------
"Audaces fortuna juvat."

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps