Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums
Topic Closed  Topic Closed
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Maybe new ships (possible "Relativity" $) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Maybe new ships (possible "Relativity" $)
Deep6
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
On tonight's Voyager episode "Relativity", Seven travels back in time to a period when Voyager is still under construction. Supposedly, we'll get to see many different ships at different stages of construction.....maybe even new ship names and regestries for those ship nuts. I personally will be interested to see how the shape of the outer hulls take shape. I

------------------
"Well yeah ok thats just about the most awful thing I've ever seen"

IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so, where was Voyager built? Utopia Planitia? or was it McKinley Station? but wasn't McKinley station - the spidery looking structure we saw in "Family" TNG??

So how would we see new ships??

If not - what other orbital shipyards are there in Earth's orbit?

Where was the Enterprise-E built? Earth or Mars?

She should either be in final stages of being built at the time of 'Relativity' or out on its shakedown cruise...

Does anyone know the design timeframe for the Sovereign? Is anyone getting sick of seeing so many new ships? I mean this is getting a bit unrealistic since the Galaxy class took at least 15-20 years to build, either it was a radically new ship, or the Sovereign, if it has a short design timeframe, not a very 'new' ship in terms of new technology etc...

Maybe the Galaxy is as advanced for the time as the Excelsior was in TSFS and then between the Excelsior and the Excelsior refit or the Ambassador class there wasn't much of a time difference...

Maybe in Relatvity the Defiant is being taken out of moth balls? should place it just before Season 3. Also, we could see Data's scout ship and/or the holoship, but they seem to be ultra new designs.

------------------
"For flavor value, chocolate. But I prefer the Cult
of Curry." - Frank G, April 1999
"(strange mouth jerks)" - Krenim, April 1999

Deep6
Ex-Member

Voyager was constructed at McKinley Station in Earth orbit, however the scene in "Relativity" was at Utopia Planetia.

And no, I dont get tired of seeing new classes....what do you want...the same old galaxies and excelsiors all the time?

And as for the construction time frame....I dont care what any tech manual says....there's no way your going to convince me it took 15-20 years to build a galaxy class ship.

------------------

Warped1701
Back from Vacation
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for Warped1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to her dedication plaque, the E-E was built at San Fransisco Fleet Yards.

------------------
"Angels and Ministers of Grace, defend us"
-Hamlet, Act I, Scene IV

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I meant by new classes, is why can't we see older named classes - Cheyennes/New Orleans etc etc. not brand spanking new ships...

and a Galaxy being built would be nice to see apart from the out the window shot of the E-D in "Booby Trap"

Amida... err Andrew

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No new ships, but lots of them:

Excelsior, Akira, others
Two Excelsiors, I think an Oberth, others
At least two Excelsiors, Akira
Saber on upper right
Galaxy
Another Galaxy, another Akira
Voyager

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"[Steve Jobs] shouts at his employees a lot, using language you can't use on TV, not even on UPN." - Andy Ihnatko

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Can someone post the Space dock from TMP, and Generations Family Redemption etc. for some comparison.

looks good, bit higgledy-piggledy but cool - I what is that huge one where you can see the space frame in the bottom right hand corner? and are those the resident space stations - or new space stations being built - I'm guessing they are the resident space stations - pity there were no more Intrepid class ships...

maybe there was - some of those background pics were pretty fuzzy.

Thanks Frank

Oh also, in Booby Trap - the E-D was in an enclosed structure was it not?
------------------

[This message was edited by AndrewR on May 12, 1999.]

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*points out that the last Galaxy is being built in the same construction gantry as depicted in the TNGTM... Kudos!*

------------------
"I haven't done any research, but I think the Defiant is 170m."
-Frank Gerratana, May 11, 1999

Epoch
Geology Rocks
Member # 136

- posted      Profile for Epoch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just got done watching Voyager and it was not bad. Voyager was built at UP and in the background you can see several ships including some akiras and galaxies.
I love time loops.

------------------
If you need it I can build it. Just as long as there is a box of junk for me to use.

Trinculo
Ex-Member

My mother coined a term for this kind of show-"Voodoo Voodoo Hoodoo". I like that phrase. As for the episode, my own feelings, I didn't care much for the show. The only thing I liked was the USS Relativity. (The dedication plague solved the issue of name prefix-UTS or USS. Didn't anyone find the plague, besides me, interesting?) Starfleet has a class of ship which is both beautiful and graceful. This is my favorite class of ship.

Deep6
Ex-Member

In, the fourth picture.....to the left of the akira, is that a nebula in a McKinely type dock?

------------------

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dedication Plague... swept from world to world in the late 2260's, infecting up to 80% of the planetary populations.. no cure.. but now everybody works twice as hard.. which explains certain rapid advances in technology...

------------------
You're just JEALOUS because the little voices talk to ME!

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anybody have a ledgeable pic of the Dedication plaque of the Relativity?

Or does anybody know the registry number of the Relativity. I know it has and NCC prefix, at least 6 digits, and a alpha numberic suffix

------------------
Homeboy in Outerspace
(The only surviving fan of UPN's Homeboyz in Outer Space)

[This message was edited by Brown_supahero on May 13, 1999.]

Trinculo
Ex-Member

I write a letter to Mr Sternbach about the episode "Relativity"-the drydock sequence, the dedication plaque for the USS Relativity. His response-

"Usually in a shot like the shipyards, the CGI guys just rubber-stamp ships in and we never need to know what specific ships they are, but just that's its a busy place. Excelsior class ships are probably being maintained like B-52s, which are supposed to be maintain, I hear, until 2060. That's over 100 years from the time the first Buff rolled off the lines, so old starships aren't so farfetched.
Don't have the specifics on the dedication plaque, sorry.
Rick"

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dedication plaque of the Relativity was shown in the middle (around 31 minutes into the show) of the show when the Leuitenant of Relativity was talking to Seven.

I was wondering if someone with video capture can get this

------------------
Homeboy in Outerspace
(The only surviving fan of UPN's Homeboyz in Outer Space)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps