Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Auto-tech! ["Dead Stop" Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Auto-tech! ["Dead Stop" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A fun, if mindlessly-fluffy episode. Good tech to nitpick though, and is that not the big reason we watch? [Razz]

-Okay, so the situation is dire. We start four days after the last episode (still no timestamp though), and they're pretty crippled. They can't polarize the port hull plating with so much of it missing, and even if they could find some tritanium, it'd take three or four months to fix the ship. Worst of all, they can barely manage warp two, putting them ten years away from Earth. Ouch.

-Speaking of ouch, Reed is still off with a messed up leg. He's gonna be off duty for a couple more weeks; less if he'd let Phlox pop in a couple more Rigelian blood worms. Reed is wary of this, since one of them has yet to pop back out...

-More name-dropping happens when a Tellarite freighter responds to their distress call, apparently directing them to a nearby repair station. They eventually find it - it looks like a couple of hair-curlers, one of which expands to accept the saucer.

-The station has a pretty nifty scan action going. Holo-displays show the damaged sections, right down to the scratched paint from when Archer and Trip nicked the job in "Broken Bow". Their scans download Enterprise's computer data, language, and even figure out that Reed is a lame duck. Anyway, in exchange for 200 liters of warp plasma, the gang will get back an unbroken ship. The hair curlers deploy arms, and the process begins...

-BTW, the station sounds remarkably like B'Elanna Torres. Perhaps coincidentally, Roxann Dawson is directing this episode. And like Torres, the atmosphere of the station is pretty crappy at first, but gets nicer later on. [Razz]

-The station has lots and lots of nice toys to play with - suffice it to say that it's got all the familiar TNG stuff. There's a nifty VFX shot of the arms dematerializing some wreckage, then rematerializing a fresh corridor wall before installing it. They even fix up Reed's leg. Of course, the crew get high off all the tech. Of course, Archer gets worried.

-The Enterprise computer is "the most advanced in the fleet", and it's three decks high. Who's got the cutaway..?

-Hee hee! The station's metallic vent covering is really just a cardboard furnace filter, spraypainted white! Anyway, unable to resist the urge to snoop, Trip and Reed get caught and beamed off the station. And unable to resist a call from Archer, Mayweather gets killed. But not before contributing to the topless quotient of the show, of course.

-Before Mayweather recovers from being dead (what, you'd think otherwise?), everyone gets to do some mourning. Apparently, Travis was a practical jokester - really? Also, finding freighters isn't very easy apparently.

-Unlike just about everything in the TNG era, the warp plasma containers they use are clearly labelled "warp plasma". They still explode quite nicely, though. [Razz]

-They escape from the Evil Repair Station in a shower of great special effects, though they decide to use torpedoes to blow away the clamped-on robot arms, instead of the phase cannons. It's strange, as the arm in question was certainly within the firing arc. Not enough punch, perhaps?

-Unfortunately, all the other aliens were neatly blown up. Good thing their being used in the station's computer core had effectively killed 'em. Still, in a Spooky Enterprise Ending, the station's wreackage is seen repairing itself...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, and Travis has a miniature of the Nomad probe in his quarters. The things you miss while writing stuff up for Flare. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How nice... regenerative technology worthy of the Borg.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yet ANOTHER "Tellarite freighter" reference? Gee...you'd think they were like leading up to something, wouldn't you... [Big Grin]
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Especially since, according to "Carbon Creek," the Tellarites had warp-capable freighters in 1950. Wouldn't that make them just underneath the Vulcans in terms of technology? Or at least make them worthy of an appearance?

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise's spaceframe is constructed out of Tritanium, but is apparently some part of the ship is held together by Duranium pins. IIRC, this would be the first mention of the common 24th Century material in ENT.

Someone actually paid attention to subspace field geometry!! The NX-01 can't make her top speed with a gap in the hull.

You can tell that the station's evil right off the bat because: 1, nothing good ever happens to the ship, and 2, it's the same sickly pale white you find in Star Wars cooridors. [Big Grin]

If a station that advanced, why would it bother with using people's brains to boost processing power? No matter what technological "brain is the most powerful computer" rhetoric people throw around, a subspace computer, capable of FTL processing, is still the way to go. Heck of a lot more efficient, too, since people won't be trying to blow you apart.

Overall, too stupid and obvious a plot, and Voyager-esque "let's blow stuff up now that we're done with it". "Mayweather's brain", anyone?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, Jupiter Station existed back in the 22nd century. Kind of begs the question of wether or not it looks like it's 24th century counterpart. If it's supposed to, those can't be Ambassador saucers.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Boris
Member # 713

- posted      Profile for Boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope they decide that these guys repaired Nomad or V'Ger (especially given the Nomad clue), rather than establish a relationship with the Borg or someone else alltogether.

Note that the writers now seem to be using the TNG scale. Tucker's meal can't be found within 130 LY, which puts Earth at 130 LY or further, assuming there is a colony or a starbase serving that food. Given the aforementioned ten years' trip to Sol, this works out to at least 13c, whereas Wf 2.1, the most Tucker said they could do, is 12c on the TNG scale.

Of course, we won't know for certain until they mention Wf10 or pile up a bunch of nines.

Boris

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the station's so advanced that that inder the sickly 2001/star wars corridors we see rusted panels, the ol' slowly turning rusty fan nuggett and lots and lots of dirt and grime to soil up archer and co.
They also used the DS9 idea of sneaking a bomb in with the Ketracel white...er...Warp Plasma.

Still, this ranks as one of my favorite eoisodes so far and I really liked it.
The look on T'Pol's face when Malcom and Tripp materalize on the bridge was just priceless. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
Note that the writers now seem to be using the TNG scale. Tucker's meal can't be found within 130 LY, which puts Earth at 130 LY or further, assuming there is a colony or a starbase serving that food. Given the aforementioned ten years' trip to Sol, this works out to at least 13c, whereas Wf 2.1, the most Tucker said they could do, is 12c on the TNG scale.

Yes. I'm positive the writers have their copies of the TNGTM Warp Table out (with the words that these are only baseline values crossed out, like any self-respecting fan has them) and dutifully crunched the numbers.

Actually, facetiousness aside, this is probably a good candidate of a case where they may have actually done this. But what I'm getting at is that I wouldn't take that as evidence for warp speeds canonically matching that table in every instance.

Incidentally, Mandel's Star Charts show the events of "Shockwave" taking place 45 ly SSW of Sol. If we wanted to try to place early season two onto them, though, we'd run into problems. 130 ly from Sol in a Romulanward direction puts Enterprise near Iconia (which, uh, could be damn cool if that's who built the station.) Quasi-unfortunately, that's about 100 ly from Paraaga, (though the uberlane from Earth to Kronos could have been hopped for a good chunk of it, I guess) and if we're visiting Kreetassa next week, that's 110 lightyears straight back past Paraaga again. I suppose this was inevitable with the book, though it's a bit of bad luck nonetheless.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While we're on the subject of TNG technology in Enterprise, did anyone notice that the robot which healed Reed's leg was the same model used as the exocomp? See here:

http://s2e04.ent.vze.com/

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Likewise, I believe the central holodoodad in the Evil Station's office is made from leftovers of the Think Tank's AI, itself later seen as a holodoodad for the renegade holograms.

Mark

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm.. what was 'Quality of Life', like eight years ago? they must have a lot of frickin junk layin around.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If Paramount still has the Wolf 359 wreckage around, why not?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but that stuffs important!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps