Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SotL 2003 Calendar is out! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: SotL 2003 Calendar is out!
SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately, it's a completely naked Miranda Class. It's quite obvious in the photo that there's no name or number on the hull at all!

The escape pods aren't even marked with a name or registry.

I know there are a lot of technical nit-pickers here on the forum, so I hope it's not just me feeling that leaving a name/registry off a Starfleet ship is as blasphemous as having a beautiful picture of a sports car with no tires on it!

BTW,
The Shuttlecraft 1701/6 is cleverly lit so they didn't have to make up a name for the side...it's too bright near the front.

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Mojo! Nice to see you posting again!

Heh, talking about fluidic space and then escape-pods... wouldn't it suck if you had to abandon ship near a rift to fluidic space and your escape-pod ended up in fluidic space as the rift closed! heh.

So what is next-years theme Mojo? How is the push for Unseen Frontier coming along!?!

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheF0rce:
There's a reliant cgi? 8-O

Yes, the model was labeled as the Reliant for that prettyful cover on the Mag issue that was dedicated to the TWOK DE. (Don't get confused though, there were NO new cgi shots in the film, just this one for the cover of the issue.) [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
im assuming its the Miranda CGI from DS9, altered. or was that lost with changes in CGi production houses?

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Foundation HAD a model of the Miranda/Reliant, which ended up used in the Starship Spotter (and other appearances in DS9 and VOY). While I was working on UF, I recall Mojo had people working on a super-accurate newer Miranda model, which I presume was the one that ended up on the Magazine. I can't remember the timeline of the calendar at that time, but it may have been the one used for it.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IIRC Fabio Passaro made the Reliant CGI that was on the cover of the mag.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahhhhhhh I finally tracked down a copy of the Calendar in Brisbane last night - on the otherside of town. They had like 10 copies, but at the calendar place on my side - they had none... so It's on order. Looks like they're not getting a sale on my side of town. PLUS all the calendars at this place were on sale that night or something so instead of 24.95 - I got it for 17.80! [Smile]

VERY VERY NICE. So Mojo. I don't get. How much of this work here is yours?

What I'm not fussed on (It's easier to rememeber): The escape-pods and 'naked' Miranda. just don't like it.

That's it - everything else is GREAT!

I notice there is only really one DS9 'era' photo. I know DS9 can't really do an atmosphere thing. [Smile] There was that ion storm in season 2.

I LOVE the Defiant model - it KICKs ASS!

The KBOP - looked great

I REALLY LOVED the "Tomorrow Is Yesterday" Scene - THANKYOU!

Shir-Khar city! GREAT IDEA!! - there's just a little something about the 'grounds' in the shots with... the GROUND in them. The Vulcan one - the ground looks metallic or molten metal or something? And all the hills look similar. And the Miranda/escape pod pic - this hills look straight out of Bryce! [Smile]

The Voyager-over-LA Is SWEET. Awesome even.

P'JEM is nice. Does anyone think the Building is a little Hildebrant to anyone? [Smile]

Oh - I think my fave (too) is the NX-E in orbit. That is one SWEET picture. Showed mum, who isn't a "Trek Fan" - but knows who Picard and Quark and Janeway are liked that shot.

The 'screen grabs' from Gen and FC - nice but... 'meh'.

I would have liked to have seen the TOS shuttle over one of those 'classic' TOS mattes like Starbase 12 (you know with the tall building and the purple sky) That Admiral Chief of Security was there in "The Die Is Cast" wasn't he? Or Eminar or what-ever??

Mojo, an idea for some more 'atmosphere' shots - Bajoran fighters (the little ones seen in The Circle) fighting Cardassians (an atmospheric ship or even a little shuttle) during the occupation over Bajor or Jeraddo etc.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Oh and the borg cubes gave me a shiver. Although I didn't like the 'tactical' cube being used on the left one (or both for all we know). Something a little more traditional would have been better - with out all that plating.

A cube and a sphere would have been interesting!

--------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo hosted a small sneak preview of the calander and some images from his canceled book at a scifi convention in MN a few months back, and all I can say is this calander is so worth it.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm definitely getting this calendar, but I'm not likely to see it until Christmas -- my family usually gives each other calendars at Christmas (among other things, of course!). I've made it clear which one I'd most like. No surprise, but it's still nice.

Overall, I must say that this calendar series has been a great success. Though I haven't been too fond of a few of the pictures, the artwork has always been excellent and perfectly conveys the sense of awe and grandeur that "Star Trek" as a whole is supposed to evoke.

And I've even liked some of the "non-traditional" shots -- the Work Bees weren't my favorite, but it was a cool idea to see them. The August 2002 picture of the Romulan Bird-of-Prey was neat, but there was too much blur applied to make it really good.

Still, you guys can count on getting my money for this offering! And I'm still hoping to get the chance to see "The Unseen Frontier" sometime soon...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I have like one comic of TOS from a while back - where Scotty had a moustache and was working for some sort of Starfleet ops. He and a group of ops members had to infultrate a Romulan base and steal back a Starship (well it's engineering section). There was a shot there with about 4 war birds circling above the base (which was on/in an asteroid) And scotty said "look at those birds circling" or something... That would be a pretty cool shot. I.e. not the same situation - but something like a modern version with a Romulan base with some Traffic... Shuttles/Romabouts and Science Vessels and Scout Ships coming and going from an Asteroid Base! Just a little thought.

Andrew

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Idea of the day: Something involving JUST the Battle section of a Galaxy-class starship - or if Mojo feels daring, of a Sovvie. We barely get to see stuff like that as it is, and it wouldn't require a ground-up mesh.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Ohhhhhhh! YES!! Something I wish we saw during the Dominion war.

Wonder what other ships might have a battle section?

The Ambassador class?

I've always wanted to see a battle between two ships over a large Volume of space - cause phasers and photons act over thousands of kilometers!! Although, I don't think this idea lends itself well to be seen in a 2D format.

Andrew

P.S. Can I ask something about the Calendar... ShirKahr city... was that seen in that TAS episode? How does the calendar match up to the - if any - views of it in the episode? There are hills around - which Sarek mentioned in "Sarek" or "Unification" and supposedly the TAS episode?

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is Shikahr/ShirKahr as it appeared in "Yesteryear" (TAS). Here's a nighttime view, which surprisingly includes a large "moon." (So TMP wasn't the first to make that mistake... [Wink] ) Here's a view of the surrounding landscape. Presumably, that mountain range is Vulcan's Forge, mentioned in the episode and again in "Change of Heart" (DS9), where Dax and Worf consider going backpacking on their honeymoon. And, finally, one more view.

Pics from Kail Tescar's TAS site.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
why doesnt the dude post here anymore? id love to bs more ideas with him, in case he ever had a chance to make our ideas published semi-canon again.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps