Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » SotL 2003 Calendar is out! (Page 6)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: SotL 2003 Calendar is out!
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd LOVE to see something of the Main Shuttle-bay!! Good idea... and 'member when Mojo was mentioning about having fans in some shots? Well I was a bit scared at that idea after some Fans I've seen at conventions [Wink] But - then I was thinking - it'd work with shots where you can't really tell who the people are - and that is like the VFX crew being used for the people on top of the saucer in that pic! Or those Matt-shots from things like SF command in ST:IV or Homefront/Paradise lost - academy shots or even some of the space dock window scene in ST:III. Even closer (than the Veridian shot) would work for something like the Main Shuttlebay pic... you could be right deep in the shuttlebay looking out at the bright ligt of Veridian's Sun (or would that be Veridian itself?) streaming through the open shuttlebay door - like looking outside - from a darkened inside on a bright day. There would probably be a lot of dust in the air creating light-streams... And people could be standing looking out but standing all over the launch bay - so you'd most probably see sillouettes. Shuttles could be all around - and work bees - some leaving, a few crashed, a few coming up the platforms from below. The doors to the rest of the ship open... triage teams... it'd be cool! The camera is like, in the back corner.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo: If you don't want to answer, I understand, but could you tell us the reason we won't be seeing your eagerly awaited Hidden Frontier book? Does it have anything to do with how well or poorly Starship Spotter (or other books) sold? Was it seen as being too expensive with no enough of a market? What was the actual format of the book supposed to be (ie, hardcover, dimensions, pages, etc.) Are there any plans to revive the project (or already completed images) in another form?

Thanks in advance

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How well did the Art of Star Trek sell? I want something like that for UF.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's the link to the Akira shot I mentioned. Love the angle...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Darn, I'm still waiting for the USS Prometheus to show up in a calendar so I can get a new Prometheus desktop. Oh well, there's always the Rhrode Island...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't the Prometheus in the first SotL calendar? Granted it was that picture of the front of the saucer, but it was quite big if I'm not mistaken.

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the Prommie was in the first one with the 5xxxx number on the hull.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Hmmm CCG - 2nd edition!?! What about those people with the first edition?? Not that I play it - no one ever to play it with. I have a sizable black-boarder and white-boarder collection of the very first release - but then I stopped collecting them.

Andrew

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About half of Second-edition will be backwards-compatible.

I = geek.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Mojo
Member # 536

- posted      Profile for Mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pocket Books has sited pricing as the official reason for cancelling "Unseen Frontier."

As a large, coffee table book, it would have carried a price tag approaching $50. During production, their sales staff found it to be a very tough sell to the various book chains' buyers. Invariably, they elected to hault the book rather than risk spending a lot of money they weren't sure they'd recoup.

Pure economics.

As far as future projects with Simon & Schuster, at the moment I am not contracted for anything. Only time will tell...

Mojo

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fifty bucks is pretty expensive, but I woul've bought one. However, the hardback encylopedia lists for $42 and the Star Trek Action hardback was $40 (who bought that?). They had that coffee table book about Trek geography, for God's sake ($35). They thought that would be popular? More popular than a book about starships?

What percentage of the images had been completed when they pulled the plug? (Any chance you could post them here?)

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With fifty dollars I could eat for weeks.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Eeesh... what are you eating?

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mojo, perhaps if they are unrelenting, you can compromise with them. You can offer to have the book be a smaller one (in terms of book dimensions, not the number of pages). You can also offer to have it paperback instead. I think the fans want this published enough that these are possible compromises that you, the fans, the Pocket books would be comfortable with. They may be satisfied that they can sell at a lower price and not worry over substantial losses if it doesn't sell well. You can finish your work and have it published finally. The fans can see this work and not have to pay a bigger price for it.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that the size and format of the book are up to the publisher... not the artist. Correct me if I'm wrong, Mojo.
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps