Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$$ Enterprise-E in Action! ["Nemesis" Megaspoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$$ Enterprise-E in Action! ["Nemesis" Megaspoilers]
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To go back to the shields briefly. We've pretty much always had conformal shields. The big bubbles are the first-line -- the deflector shields (not to be confused with the navigational deflectors). They can't handle much, but the primary confomral shielding can...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this was touched on in ST2.. the Enterprise, upon the calling of yellow alert, raised deflectors.. it showed the hull glowing in the status display.. then it was said the shields were still down when they were fired on.

so,
shields = bubble around ship
deflectors = field along the hull.

in fact, we might go so far as to say that deflectors could seem to be an evolution of polarized hull plating, basically an energized hull field that is unlike the later TNG era bubble forcefields.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just saw the Nemesis trailer before Die Another Day... is it me or does it look like the Enterprise-E's saucer is cutting the other ship?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

RAMA
Member # 380

- posted      Profile for RAMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Go here and follow the appropriate links. There's over five minutes of Nemesis footage, including a rather large chunk of the big space battle between the E-E and the Scimitar.

Keeping this in context, there's a quick shot during the battle sequence when Picard orders a phaser sweep to locate the cloaked ship (way cool!). At one point, we see her firing aft - but not necessarily using phasers. For those willing to check the footage out, would anyone care to comment on these particular weapons? Regardless, it seems the E-E is getting a workout like we've never seen before!

Mark

I believe this is the first time we have EVER seen the full use of the phaser strip, first seen in STNG! The Enterprise fires two volleys of photon torpedoes that seem exceedingly slow compared to even the E-D firing a barrage from Encounter at Farpoint.

Random link of the day

RAMA

--------------------
Ashes to ashes, funk to funky, we know Major Tom's a junky. Strung out in heaven's high, hitting an all-time low.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dr. Phlox - I missed that link the first time around.

Having now watched the whole file have the following things to say:

1) Now that's how phasers are meant to be used (Enterprise shooting in an attempt to find the Romulan ship).

2) I can't believe how S-T-U-P-I-D Riker is - no wonder he's not a captain.

Data: Forward shields are down to 10%
Riker: Bring us about

What an absolute tosser. OK, so it was in the script, but come on - 10% left in your shields on any side, you either turn a stronger shield to face the enemy or run - not turn to face them! What a moron! ARRH!

Oh yeah - does anyone die in this film? Please tell me it's Riker!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't have high hopes for Ensign Uh-Oh's emergency suitless EVA...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Well, I don't have high hopes for Ensign Uh-Oh's emergency suitless EVA...

Not exactly a blessed position on Enterprise E is it?
Ensign Uh-Oh is going where no federation ensign has gone before....into orbit around Remus. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
[
Keeping this in context, there's a quick shot during the battle sequence when Picard orders a phaser sweep to locate the cloaked ship (way cool!). At one point, we see her firing aft - but not necessarily using phasers. For those willing to check the footage out, would anyone care to comment on these particular weapons? Regardless, it seems the E-E is getting a workout like we've never seen before!

Mark [/qb]

I believe this is the first time we have EVER seen the full use of the phaser strip, first seen in STNG! The Enterprise fires two volleys of photon torpedoes that seem exceedingly slow compared to even the E-D firing a barrage from Encounter at Farpoint.

Random link of the day

RAMA [/QB][/QUOTE]
Enterprise D used all her phasers in the initial encounter with the Borg in BOBW pt1....but, of course, it did squat. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RAMA: I'm not sure that it counts as spam when you link to nothing but a single crappy graphic from your site, but it's still off-topic and repetitive. So stop it. Put it in your sig, if necessary.
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just watched the clip (finally) and I don't think those rearward bursts are torpedoes. . . I suppose they could be microtorps, but even then I'm not convinced.

So Iwas thinking: directly aft and above the ship has often been a bit of a blind-spot, and you can't get a good field of fire what with the nacelles and all. So a weapon to fire aft (and upwards) might be a good idea. I really do like the idea of pulse phasers back there; given the fact they're quite close to the impulse engines, you wouldn't have the bizarre recoil problems the Defiant supposedly had. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely looks like a full spread of phasers, perhaps in shorter bursts using small sections of the primary bank. Who knows, perhaps they have sped up their discharge rates after the Dominion war. You can put it down to new technology.
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
I just watched the clip (finally) and I don't think those rearward bursts are torpedoes. . . I suppose they could be microtorps, but even then I'm not convinced.

Chaff? Decoys? Flares? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Daryus Aden:
You can put it down to new technology.

Well, unless we start seeing the same techniques in Enterprise as well. Heh.
Anyone want to place bets? [Wink]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I just thought of a parallel: the antimatter bursts used in "BoBW2" to distract and confuse the Borg. . ? I mean, where the heck did those come from? Perhaps we're seeing an old depth-charge method of finding cloaked ships.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh! I like that notion. There ARE phaser strips in that area, however I wouldn't yet dismiss the notion of popup launchers a la FC or DS9. Microtorpedoes are about the size of a highlighter (something I've never really agreed with, but whatever), and while they probably wouldn't do much damage to a starship, they'd flash really nice...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps