Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$$ Enterprise-E in Action! ["Nemesis" Megaspoilers] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: $$$ Enterprise-E in Action! ["Nemesis" Megaspoilers]
Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vogon Poet:
Actually, I just thought of a parallel: the antimatter bursts used in "BoBW2" to distract and confuse the Borg. . ? I mean, where the heck did those come from? Perhaps we're seeing an old depth-charge method of finding cloaked ships.

Just to expand on the Antimatter Spread idea a bit... Prehaps a dedicated system for that mode of attack/defense? This class was after all designed to fight the Borg. (So I've heard.)

--------------------
Like A Bat Out Of Hell...

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it. The antimatter spread didn't actually appear to do anything apart from making a lot of noise. . . (yes, Tim, I know there's no noise in space, I was speaking figuratively) And afterwards the Borg would be wise to such a distraction in the future.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would they though?? They never could lock on to the spread - and well it was basically just a smoke-screen. They knew Locutus had been taken soon after so would probably be more warey if it happened again - but with out actually assimilating the particular data - I would guess that they wouldn't know. Which leads on to ask the question - did the techniques used by the crew of the E-D ever get released publicly?? I would say not - otherwise any fed ship that had that info in their data banks would be giving potential secrets to the Borg (if they were assimilated) thus those techniques could never be used again.

One could then say - to fight the borg the best defense would be a 'broken chain of command' or something - where no body knows the entire picture - not even the captain - thus if one is assimilated the plan could keep going. The opposite of a collective mind!?!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Point-that-hath-not-yet-been-made: There may not have been some final compositing work done on that footage and, say, torpedo spinnies could have stuck on afterwards.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

- posted      Profile for Styrofoaman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One would assume that all the borg data is compiled somewhere, and reports are issued to the extent of "Captain Booger Of The Starship Kleenex developed a new anti-borg method based on the reaction between dilithium and hemmaroids. (Notice the spelling, don't try this with hemorrhoids...)"

That way starship captains would know what's been tried, and what worked, and what doesn't work.

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Would they though?? They never could lock on to the spread - and well it was basically just a smoke-screen. They knew Locutus had been taken soon after so would probably be more warey if it happened again - but with out actually assimilating the particular data - I would guess that they wouldn't know. Which leads on to ask the question - did the techniques used by the crew of the E-D ever get released publicly?? I would say not - otherwise any fed ship that had that info in their data banks would be giving potential secrets to the Borg (if they were assimilated) thus those techniques could never be used again.

One could then say - to fight the borg the best defense would be a 'broken chain of command' or something - where no body knows the entire picture - not even the captain - thus if one is assimilated the plan could keep going. The opposite of a collective mind!?!

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, there's a larger problem. Namely, that starships apparently carry copies of the entire Library of the Council. (Or whatever they might call such a thing. Library of Memory Alpha, perhaps.) This seems like a very, very useful thing to have. At the same time, it would seem that by assimilating a single Federation ship, or at least one dedicated to exploration (those being the ones with such a library in our experience) the Borg would learn...lots of things.

Presumably there are security measures in place to catastrophically format Starfleet computers in such an event, but we haven't seen them yet.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's quite likely the Borg already have a complete set of the Encyclopedia Federationa. It probably takes time to look something up though, hence the time needed to adapt to new attacks. The reason they want to assimilate humanity is our ability to invent and imagine new ways of doing things. Of course, by turning humanity into drones they actually lose the qualities that make us special, but hey, the Borg were one big contradiction even before Voyager started in on them. 8)

--------------------

Styrofoaman
Member # 706

Prehaps the computer core has a special "data destruct" system. Reformats the entire core with dollar-signs four times then detonates an explosive charge embbeded in the "libary" section to prevent that information from falling into enemy hands.

That way the operating system remains intact, but the sensitive data doesnt.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
back to the aft torpedos: I think they're some new Photon torpedos that moce a bit faster than the snails we're used to.....mabye the Quantum type can only fire from the forward launcher.....or it flew off with the silly Captain's yacht.... [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
Member # 393

We've never really nailed down whether or not launchers are generic and can fire either Photon or Quantum torpedoes, have we?

--------------------

Shipbuilder
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Shipbuilder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think someone has brought up the fact before that the quantum and photon casings are similar enough (width/thickness-wise) to be launched by the same type of launcher. If its all done by magnetic driver coils anyway, there's no need to have a special launcher for each of the two casings. The only difference is that quantums are probably self-contained and don't require the reactant loading systems that prep up the photon torps.

So why, for example, don't we see the Defiant's "shoulder-mounted" pods firing photons? Maybe each of the launchers has a specific "ready load" that only includes a particular type of torpedo....shoulder launchers = quantums, while the nose = scientific loadouts, and aft launchers = photons.

Lee
Member # 393

Aren't those pods meant to be swappable units? Their location sort-of rules out the possibility of an antimatter injection system. . . As far as I can recall, most other classes have their launchers more inboard and close to the engineering location. Whic makes sense if the Defiant does have one rear launcher.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think one Starship - even the likes of the Enterprise has an entire Federation databank. Remember there are a few times there where someone needs to uplink with a Starbase to retrieve extra information.

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Could be they were just asking for an update-download.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LCARS Service Pack 512?
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps