Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Tech Behind Bars ["Canamar" Spoilers] (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: $$ Tech Behind Bars ["Canamar" Spoilers]
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A fun episode tonight, without too much tech. Prized this time out is the acting, especially with Bakula being an EFFECTIVE character, and some good musical moments. Ah well, following up on "Future Tense" would be tough in any case...

-We open with the apparently ressurected (or repaired, or re-named, or whatever) Shuttlepod One drifting unmanned when Enterprise finds it. Note that despite the tumbling, the stars outside the pod when viewed from the inside remain perfectly still. [Wink]

-Once again, we have a "Starlog supplemental" for a timestamp. I'm finding it a little annoying, actually, that we haven't had a real date for a while now.

-The antagonists are the Enolians, who thought that Archer and Trip are smugglers. They use weapons that resemble sawed-off shotguns, but their pistols are a re-dress of the old EM-33 pistol. Their ship is new, and not terribly pretty - almost Cardassian in nature. Prisoners are kept chained a la oarsmen! I kept waiting for people to start drumming.

-The planet where Archer and Trip were making Enolian first contact is Keto-Enol, which is "the largest trade outpost in the system". There are other outposts in the system?

-There are a variety of aliens on the transport, including a Naussican. Trip's seat buddy looks really familiar, and I think the guy sitting next to Archer is using leftover Reman makeup...

-Hey, is the Enolian important guy wearing green versions of the Red Squad pin? And while we're talking about wardrobe, why are Archer and Trip in civvies? It MIGHT have helped when they got arrested for smuggling.

-Enolians have small warp-capable patrol ships; Archer, now posing AS a smuggler following the inevitable prison break, manages to get rid of 'em by venting some (warp?) plasma and detonating it.

-As he is being driven insane by his seat buddy, Trip gets to mentions stuff like Orion Slave girls and a Melvaran. Melvaran? Melllvar?

-The prisoner leader, Kuroda, was supposedly accused of stealing a latinum brace at the shipyard he was working on Keto-Enol, which first landed him in prison. I wonder how strong a latinum brace would be...

-Enterprise finds the transport, and AT LAST SOMEONE SUGGESTS USING THE TRANSPORTER TO FREE THEIR CREW!!!! But of course, the prison ship's shielding is too much.

-Man alive, planetary CGI must either be really easy to do, or the Eden folks just REALLY know their stuff. Now, while the episode ends rather predictably, it sure looks pretty. Mayweather gets to shoot something, we get to see some nice (if coincidentally ill-timed) images of ships burning up in the atmosphere, and Archer be genuinely mad.

Mark

[ February 25, 2003, 07:59 PM: Message edited by: Mark Nguyen ]

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't get the title of the thread?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Ryan McReynolds
Minor Deity
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for Ryan McReynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a prison episode, hence "behind bars."

I'm assuming this was meant for the tech forum, as the patented Nguyen Early Tech Briefings [tm] usually are.

--------------------
Enterprise: An Online Companion

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." --Phillip K. Dick

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, somehow I posted in there instead of here. Wierd...

Mark

--------------------

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
-As he is being driven insane by his seat buddy, Trip gets to mentions stuff like Orion Slave girls and a Melvaran. Melvaran? Melllvar?

Wasn't it Melmac? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

Wrong sitcom. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Archer would be so much cooler had they named him "Captain Gordon Shumway".
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
David A. Goodman, you rapscallion
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The prison transport seemed to have the same kind of aft glowy-bit as the Andorian ship from last week, but with a yellow glow rather than a blue one. Also, I think I spotted an Eaves-ish nacelle under the front of the ship... [Confused]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
Archer would be so much cooler had they named him "Captain Gordon Shumway".

But then they'd have to remove Porthos and fill the cargo hold with fresh cats. [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
The planet where Archer and Trip were making Enolian first contact is Keto-Enol

I did some undergraduate biochemistry a few years back, and this sounds dangerously close to a half-remembered rule for chemical nomenclature. Anyone able to enlighten me here?
Then again, at least they're not resorting to the cheap Voyager trick of stealing alien names from Star Wars (the telepathic Bothan (named for the species that stole the plans to the Death Star, or the British cricketer - one or the other [Wink] !) and Inspector Kashyyk (named for the Wookiee homeworld) readily spring to mind).

But I Digress... (TM)

Thank goodness nobody made mention of a Canamar Panal [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It was halfway to Rivendell when the drugs began to take effect."
Hunter S. Tolkein, Fear and Loathing in Barad-Dur

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm pretty sure that that transport was at least a partial redress of the Andorian cruiser we saw two weeks ago -- I recognized the aft section, and I'm pretty sure the nose was very similar. Obviously they gave it some new textures, and maybe a new middle section...

Those were definitely Red Squad pins that that Alien Official Guy was wearing on his collars -- weird! And who in the Wardrobe department thought we wouldn't notice something like that, anyway? [Wink]

The design of the prison ship seemed awfully convenient in some respects -- they couldn't have built something a little bigger so that some of the engine compartments aren't accessed in the same room where the prisoners are kept? And how about having TWO doors instead of just one between the prisoners and the cockpit, which contains the pilot who is taking them where they don't want to go? It just all seems too conveeeeeenient... I suppose you could use the example of the school bus-like vehicles that US prison systems use -- I'm not too familiar with them, fortunately. [Wink]

Once again, all the critical equipment is placed in a spot where it can be easily smashed. I find it hard to believe that that one whack of the pistol could take out the entire subspace transmitter!

Is it just me, or did anyone else think that the prison transport's cockpit was a redress of the normal NX-01 shuttlepod's forward section? There's no mistaking that silly little bulbous viewport...

Where was Enterprise during the climax? Or any of the other "thousands" of visitors (and the likely patrol ships -- all of which could have possibly provided some assistance with helpful things like tractor beams or at the least a grappler?

Oh, well -- at least the acting was very good this time around.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely good ship designs!
The patrol ships were pretty neat.
You guys ever notice that in sci fi the prison ships are always filthy rusty barges? Would'nt the same tech that keeps their other ships clean work here?
Do you guys think the Enterprise crewman got killed or just hurt?
Travis checks his pulse and just kinda leaves him on the floor at the time.
If it was TNG I'd say he's a goner...but Enterprise has'nt lost anyone yet and I think they'll elaborate on their first casualty.
Unless Porthos is the first casualty: He's been AWOL for three episides now. [Wink]
I also noticed that the prison transport makes a big course correction while at warp....
...putting yet another nail in the coffin that was Voyager's horrible writing.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently this isn't evcen the first time the EM-33 has been redressed as an alien weapon. It's a bit sloppy, isn't it? There are at least a dozen alien-weapon props that have appeared over the years (and some have already been on Enterprise) - they can't have used them all already, surely?

Also, I've received a vague notification of a 'new rifle carried by Travis' - can anyone confirm this? Bearing in mind my source seemed a bit confused as to who was who (and since such a scenario would actually require the Mayweather to actually do, or even say, something - which is totally unlikely).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The DS9 "mine prop" is also present: stacked up next to the cockpit's doorway (on the prisoner side of course).

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still think that "speed of light, no left or right" dealt more with racing than with actual application. Your turning radius at the speed of light is going to be wretched compared to a quick sublight spin and re-warp.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps