Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Akira Class (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Akira Class
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think those are probably maintenance bays ...

(I know, I know, "lighten up")

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malnurtured Snay:
I think those are probably maintenance bays ...

(I know, I know, "lighten up")

I don't think they are big enough to be maintenance bays. You couldnt get any equipment in to do anything to the shuttles.

They just appear to be somewhere to keep all the shuttles tidy and out of the way.

Like parking spaces. [Big Grin]

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The red zone is for loading and unloading only. There's no stopping in the white zone." [Big Grin]

Seriously, I don't think they keep runabout in this big bay. It's way to big to comfortably fit through those thingies. Barely squeeze, yes, but not enough to leave room for maneuvers.

Who put those rooms in the middle, anyway? What next? Torpedo launchers above airlocks? [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the lines dividing the parking spaces for the shuttles are just that - lines on the deck. There's no need to use up that space with walls on which you can't hang much and that make access to the back door kinda awkward. When I made that picture, I concluded that if the 15m Peregrine's wings folded up as we guess, then you can fit one Peregrine for every two shuttle parking slips; thus, you can support a full squadron of 12 fighters with tons of room left over for regular shuttles.

As for the runabouts, scaled as they are it is indeed a tight fit around that central column thing... there's maybe a 2-3 meters tops to maneuver, however if you think about how tightly aircraft are handled on carrier decks, that's more than enough space! Alternatively, you can stash one or two in the open landing area where I put the 30m Peregrine and stll have lots of space for maneuvering other shuttles through. And don't forget that much of the deck is two decks tall or more - you can use antigrav to hop over some stuff if need be. It's not like the shuttles are on wheels anyway.

Now, I dug up this picture to relate it back to the Akira. Does anyone want to superimpose the Akira saucer over this layout, to demonstrate the interior volume of the Akira Saucer? It's approximately the same shape, at least...

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
I think the lines dividing the parking spaces for the shuttles are just that - lines on the deck. There's no need to use up that space with walls on which you can't hang much and that make access to the back door kinda awkward. When I made that picture, I concluded that if the 15m Peregrine's wings folded up as we guess, then you can fit one Peregrine for every two shuttle parking slips; thus, you can support a full squadron of 12 fighters with tons of room left over for regular shuttles.

As for the runabouts, scaled as they are it is indeed a tight fit around that central column thing... there's maybe a 2-3 meters tops to maneuver, however if you think about how tightly aircraft are handled on carrier decks, that's more than enough space! Alternatively, you can stash one or two in the open landing area where I put the 30m Peregrine and stll have lots of space for maneuvering other shuttles through. And don't forget that much of the deck is two decks tall or more - you can use antigrav to hop over some stuff if need be. It's not like the shuttles are on wheels anyway.

Now, I dug up this picture to relate it back to the Akira. Does anyone want to superimpose the Akira saucer over this layout, to demonstrate the interior volume of the Akira Saucer? It's approximately the same shape, at least...

Mark

They can't be lines, because at several points they join the walls. Its especially obvious with the ones to your left and right as you enter the large oval-shaped area.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe some things are best left unexplored

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Phoenix
Member # 966

quote:
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:

Whether the Enterprise-D's main shuttlebay has alcoves or parking spaces has grave consequences for the whole of Star Trek, and indeed could shed new light on the questions that have plagued mankind for generations.
J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyone have any good screencaps from Preemptive Strike?

http://fighters.webj.cjb.net/

Kinda... put they're pictures of my TV with the VCR on pause.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, we know that the shuttlebay can hold at least 3 runabouts, as the E-D delivered the Ganges, Rio Grande, and Yangtzee Kiang to DS9.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Phoenix:
quote:

Whether the Enterprise-D's main shuttlebay has alcoves or parking spaces has grave consequences for the whole of Star Trek, and indeed could shed new light on the questions that have plagued mankind for generations.
These "alcoves" may only reach to waist height to secure the shuttles when the ship shakes and the crew do the "bridge dance".
I gotta say that the 15 meter fighter looks better in the Galaxy shuttlebay, but the Runabout looks ridiculous in there.
Mabye the Enterprise D stored them in the cargo bays under the secondary hull when delivering DS9's initial three....or the shuttlebay was crammed pretty darn tight. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless they had them in bays 2 & 3, but I don't think they're big enough.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not unless the assembled the nacelles to the hull on arrival and they ships were crated up before then.
It is unlikely though.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
um..Yangtzee Kiang was carried by the E-D.. the Rubicon wasn't the original bunch, it arrived in season 2.

Well.. it DID!

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm sure by reviewing some of the type-7 shuttle scenes from TNG ("The Child", "Unnatural Selection"), known sizes of a runabout and a type-7 shuttle and know some fancy math, you could get a pretty solid idea of how big the lesser shuttlebay doors and the bay interior is.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by CaptainMike:
um..Yangtzee Kiang was carried by the E-D.. the Rubicon wasn't the original bunch, it arrived in season 2.

Well.. it DID!

Um...I think you might be seeing things, who said Rubicon?

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps