Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » First Contact Ships Sixteen Designs (Page 5)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: First Contact Ships Sixteen Designs
Axeman 3D
Member # 1050

- posted      Profile for Axeman 3D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd downgrade that to a B- as I challenge the sources he's using and the theory behind said sources. The only saucer movie i can think of where the ships 'tilt' in any conventional way is the bloody awful 'Earth v's the Flying Saucers' where the model saucers were animated using stop motion, and that's only really when they are being interfered with magnetically by our square-headed hero and a large magnet. Speaking as an occasional animator I fully realise how important it is to do little things like the tilt in helicopters and having landing gear sag as a helo lifts off, (check this helo animation I did for demo )it helps make a model appear to have weight and inertia. In Trek, inertia is negated by machinery and all flight controlled by fields and exotic tech which makes such moves redundant. When I animate such things I tend to avoid adding inertial effects, it adds to the high-tech authenticity if stuff uses non-ballistic motion now.

--------------------
www.kennyscrap.com - where I download crap I make.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And you get to stay behind after class and write out one hundred times, "No one likes a smartass." 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By the DS9 era, ship designs come down to very few needed criteria:

Unobstructed main deflector (for those ships that use the big glowy deflectors- not the Miranda)

Unobstructed weapons ports and phaser strips (part of why I altered the Niagra's nacelle placment)

Impulse engine vents

Warp engine vents (the glowy part of the nacelle)

escape pods (not always visible from the hull)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about: a bridge that sits ontop of the ship's main habitable section?

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's mostly true....except for the Sabre.
That one sits over the shuttlebay (although not by much).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASSUMPTION!!!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

No....that's definitely the small shuttlebay at the ship's front.
It's a recurring theme in Alex Jaeger's First Contact designs.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASSUMPTION!!!

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Oh, just build the model already!
You'll see!
I'll show you!
I'LL SHOW YOU ALL!!!!

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's only one way that can be a shuttlebay: The DS9TM-dimensions are correct. [Eek!]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now, that's just crazy-talk, that is.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Cpt. Kyle Amasov:
There's only one way that can be a shuttlebay: The DS9TM-dimensions are correct. [Eek!]

And we now they are not.
AT 179 meters long, the Sabre could still hold shuttlepods or the "Chaffe" shuttle design.
The whole "scoop" part of the sabre would have to open though and not just the part under the bridge.
I guess it could be torpedo launcher....although te thought of the bridge being directly over the torpedo room is a bit dicey.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never assumed there was a shuttlebay under the bridge of the Saber. I'm not even sure if there was ever supposed to be one on the CGI, which is rather coarse.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

What would you think is in there?
Aux deflector?
Torp launcher?
Snapple machine?
Giant grinning teeth? [Big Grin]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Giant grinning teeth?
Finally!! A starship with nose art! [Big Grin] [Wink]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps