Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » TNG Vehicle Sizes at Premier -- Probert's take (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: TNG Vehicle Sizes at Premier -- Probert's take
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Probert painting seems to show that Ambassador has a pretty wide secondary hull. I think Jeff Robb's extrapolation reflects that, perhaps even being a bit narrow. Just going from the side view, I would probably draw the secondary hull fairly slim in the Excelsior style, but the painting makes it look fat.

But, yeah, MrNeutron, try to some more info from Mr. Probert!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The secondary hull is wide at the front (like the Galaxy) but slim from the side overall (like the Excelsior).
I dig that dark grey "collar" around the nav deflector.....kinda like the dark area under the Refit Excelsior's deflector.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the length of the Reliant listed on the chart? I can't work it out.

Interesting that the correct length for the (proto) Ambassador is 525m and not the commonly published 526m. It's similar to how the Galaxy is commonly thought to be 641m but is meant to be 642.5m.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dax:
What is the length of the Reliant listed on the chart? I can't work it out.

Looks like 765', but I'm not 100% certain.
quote:
Interesting that the correct length for the (proto) Ambassador is 525m and not the commonly published 526m. It's similar to how the Galaxy is commonly thought to be 641m but is meant to be 642.5m.

I'm not sure why you make mention of this, as it's not really a big deal. One meter and one-and-a-half meters is nothing, IMO. Only way it would really make much of a difference is if you were trying to make detail prints/plans. Plus, I was thinking that the stated length of the E-D was 642m...?

Oh, well. No biggie, right? [Smile]

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely the Reliant length reads 765' not 965'

765' would make it 233m which is correct (+/- a meter or so).

--------------------
"My theories appal you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters and you don't like my tie." - The Doctor

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, you're right. I edited the above just before you hit send on yours, apparently. I'm not home and using a crappy monitor, so things are pretty hard to make out. I miss my flat screen with crystal clear quality. :-(

And don't call me Shirley.... ;-)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, 765' -- makes sense now. Thanks, guys.

The single meter differences in published lengths is mostly insignificant, but those discrepancies shouldn't exist when exact feet lengths are known.

--------------------
"I exist here."
- Sisko in "Emissary"
Dax's Ships of Star Trek

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Aren't the sizes for the BOP, Oberth, and Excelsior the same as on the STIII chart?

BTW, does anyone have a picture of this chart?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though I love several elements of the Not-Ambassador, I've gotta say that I'm glad that wierd pylon connection scheme (to the secondary hull) didn't make the cut when the ship was finally built. It's great insofar as being an evolutionary step, but it just looks funny.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, the Not-Ambassador or the "I Can't Believe It's Not the Ambassador" makes me feel squeemish... there is something strange about it.

It is also a TOO smooth transition between the Exxy and the Gal - I mean there are more differences between the Connie and the Exxy.

I still like the Ambassador class we saw. Maybe the N-A could be a step between the Exxy and the Ambass? Or the Ambass and the Gal?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you must, then surely "Excy"?

I do sorta agree though, about it being too smooth a transition. After all, the Constition doesn't look anything like the Excelsior (comparitively).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not too keen on the pylons myself as I see them in the sketch and painting, but I'm also suspecting that part of the design didn't get too refined in at the stage of Encounter at Farpoint.

You have to consider that this Ambassador design was whacked together in a big hurry, specifically to make the wall model and as the basis of a quick matte for a single long shot of the ship. I'm betting if they had decided to actually show the design in the 1st season it would a got refined a lot. I got to go through Andy's sketchbooks and saw how much the Galaxy class "tweaked" between the initial concept approval and the on-screen result. My guess is the Ambassador would've gotten similar treatment.

OTOH if it ever showed with a hull wide enough for the pylons to go straight up into the nacelles as it sort appears in the painting, I'd have had to hit Andy over the head with the model. hahaha

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps