Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Timetravelling Tech ["Carpenter Street" spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: $$ Timetravelling Tech ["Carpenter Street" spoilers]
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I would have been impressed if when Archer and T'Pol returned, Trip didn't recognize the Xindi bodies or something."

Why not? Trip has seen Xindi lizards before, hasn't he? I mean, they did invade the ship at one point. And I'm sure everyone has seen pictures, anyway.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Archer didn't finish the sentence about fossil fuels... I'm not certain, the way he is talking about it, that we run out in 2061 or we stop using it in 2061.

If a Tricorder can send out an EMP that is "tuned" right then it can work on an ATM.

End of the episode was lame, obviously trek writers aren't cop writers... they wouldn't have left the car there like that.

Oh and TOS breaks away from our timeline back in the 1960's when they launch orbital missile platforms--- that whole Soviet Union thing adds to the difference in timelines as well.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I enjoyed it. Archer and T'Pol have to be about the most clued-in time travellers in all Trek, given how easily they got themselves sorted out.

At first glance I thought the Xindi pistols were re-uses of the Reman pistols, but I don't think they were. I'll confirm it when I do me some cappin' tomorrow.

So, either the Xindi War doesn't happen in the 'proper' Trek timeline, or Daniel's 30th-century is an entirely different future from the 'proper' one that follows on from 29th-century with Starfleet timeships etc. I suspect the former, and since the Xindi homeworld has already been destroyed in the past by humans from the future, I'm betting that it'll be Archer & Co. who'll maybe prevent it happening in the first place.

So we could have this massive re-set whereupon the original menace from Future Guy and the Suliban will re-assert itself. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
Oh and TOS breaks away from our timeline back in the 1960's when they launch orbital missile platforms--- that whole Soviet Union thing adds to the difference in timelines as well.

Oh, please God, not this again.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Re: 2061 and fossil fuels

Archer never completes his sentence. The gist of the conversation is: T'Pol: "Didn't your people know they were running out of fossil fuels in this time?" Archer: "They had for about 30 years. But it wasn't until 2061 that..."

Interesting to speculate on what comes next since 2061 is such a suspicious year:

- the fuel ran out and that led to World War III
- we developed fusion (OR) antimatter power and stopped

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joshua Bell:
Re: 2061 and fossil fuels

Archer never completes his sentence. The gist of the conversation is: T'Pol: "Didn't your people know they were running out of fossil fuels in this time?" Archer: "They had for about 30 years. But it wasn't until 2061 that..."

"....the giant Megadues' destroyed civilization and drank all the fuel."

Cool!
I see a whole CapComms right here!

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"I would have been impressed if when Archer and T'Pol returned, Trip didn't recognize the Xindi bodies or something."

Why not? Trip has seen Xindi lizards before, hasn't he? I mean, they did invade the ship at one point. And I'm sure everyone has seen pictures, anyway.

Well the idea was that by going back in time and thwarting this Xindi plot, Archer and T'Pol nix some horribly small tiny, yet vastly important event which means the Xindi never come to Earth and blow shit up. And so Trip has never seen a Xindi before.
Phoenix
Member # 966

- posted      Profile for Phoenix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh God, not another time-travelling episode in America.

One of these days the Space-Time Continuum will realise that it doesn't have to keep sending people back to the USA.

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh, actually, it WOULD be interesting to see the Xindi trying the same thing, in Bagdhad or Shanghi.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...Thus giving Bashir, Kim, Hoshi, or any of the minority characters something to do besides be the subject of expository "what is this, sir?" dialogue.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
Basically, the Xindi have somehow managed to travel to 2004, want to collect samples of all 8 bloodtypes to make and release a biotoxin. Archer manages to stop them, Xindi try to spread unfinished toxin anyway, Archer prevents that too and beams everything back to NX-01.

So, umm, having yet not seen the episode yet, let me get this straight; these guys are kidnapping people to get different blood types in order to create a biotoxin.

The only comment I have at this point: 'why not just visit a "blood bank"?'

And why *Detroit* ?! Ah well, that's the closest the Trek world will ever get to where I live. [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm still waiting for them to attack Canada. In the grand scheme of things, this country is way too nice for any aliens to attack.

They probably didn't got the blood bank because they needed fresh samples and probably other biological data from the donor. They were extracting blood on a regular basis from the victims... Also, donor blood isn't the best way to learn about white blood cells (useful knowledge if you're designing a virus), platelet count, and other blood factors.

Note that they say that with only 6 of 8 blood types, the virus will be able to kill "only" 75% of the population. They seem to omit the fact that AB+ and B- blood, the types they had yet to go, accounts for only 6% of the population, according to this!

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally have one complain: They ended up in Detroit, Michigan, in near future, right?

Then where was RoboCop? [Wink]

And those cops were dressed all wrong and used wrong cars! Man, what is wrong with Berman and Braga?! [Wink]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And three police cars seemed a bit like overkill for one loony.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Kazeite
Member # 970

- posted      Profile for Kazeite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because at the end of such movies there are is always obscene amount of police [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Do I remember about my amnesia?"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps