Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starfleet ships in active service. Just a number. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Starfleet ships in active service. Just a number.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think that there are probably more Danube's since they are small and easy to build
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and the registry is NCC-000000.....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Manjuice:
Holy! Flagship!

Yes....you're the head Raging Queen of the fleet.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Cartman:
[QB] Personally I think Starfleet has this amount of each class in service:- s
THIS IS PURE GUESS WORK

Intrepid Class:150 There's probably not been this many constructed (since Voyager was lost and the production of more firepower-oriented ships would've been a priority after the brief war with the Klingons and preparing for Dominion Invasion).
Akira Class:300 probably ahigh number but if we consider the 5XXXXX registry number on some Akiras, it's not inpossible.
Excelsior:3000 a good number of the total ships ever constructed of this class, but (I think) too large a number to be active at the same time.
Ambassordor:3900 Almost certainly too many. I'd lower it to prahaps 300-900 still in service fleetwide: remember that larger capital ships take a long time to build and the Amby was the largest of her generation (probably, anyway).
Miranda:4500 convievable, fleet-wide and spread across the federation, but mostly not as available combat ships for the war effort.
Galaxy Class:1500 Waaaaaaaay too many. Mabye as many as 50 if you consider that some were launched incomplete. mabye.
Soveriegn Class:10 possible....they could have been held back as a last line of defense
Steamrunner Class:350 sounds right for aFed-wide number of ships
Sabre Class:350 mabye a few more- it's asmall ship.
Defiant Class:6 by war's end I'd think there would be at least ten to fifteen in service
Oberth:50 Probably more if you're counting "S.S."/ civillian registry ships. ]/b]
Nova:500 [b] mabye half that many at tops: it seemed a very new class when Voyager envountered it.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
IT IS FORTUNATE I WAS BEING TOTALLY SERIOUS
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I even knew that. Mabye.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
IT IS FORTUNATE I WAS BEING TOTALLY SERIOUS

I know you were'nt serious but looking at the shiplist breakdown got me thinking about plusable numbers of starships.

It's always bugged me that the Enterprise could possibly be "the only ship in the sector", regardless of how vast the Fed is.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The point about Q introducing the Feds to the Borg so they could survive the Dominion war is a genius idea, we saw Picard scoff at the notion of a battle simulation in peak performance, and saying to Q that whatever was out there they were ready for it, not with a fleet of 80 year-old excelsiors (Hansons flagship!!!) your not!
The development of Quantom torpedoes, Akira, Promethius, Deffiant class ships were all owed to this one encounter J25.
Weyouns insistance that 'without the federation the others are no threat to us' also points to a fleet size pushing 15-20,000 ships, if we infer that the Klingons and romulans have roughly 1,500-2,000 each, and that the Dominion fielded a force 20 times the size of the Klingon one along the border. I must admit though I think this sounds excesive, judgeing by the fact starfleet tell Picard 'we are not ready for a major confrontation' after the loss of 'only' 39 ships at wolf 359. As well as Bashir's 'we can't go on taking these kinds of losses' after the loss of 98 ships in the Tyra system. The number of Ageing ships in the major battle scenes points to a major refurbishment project with the likes of the Qualor 2 surpluss depot being emptied of its stock and then rushed to the front lines. Although if Starfleet asked me to take a Miranda class ship into battle against a Dominion battleship with a couple of flanking Keldon's I would have to be having strong words with someone!

--------------------
The disappearance of Donald Love

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I see.

Don't you think the Federation's importance as a threat has a little to do with its historic ability to build working alliances between disparate, often acrimonious, groups? I mean, two hundred years prior the Andorians and Vulcans were at each others' throats and now they're citizens of the same nation and probably listen to the same pop music.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Well, pop-music has always been the universal peacemaker.
It's why Brittney Spears is a Nobel laurate.

The Klingons have far more than 1500 ships at their disposal: they agree to commit that many ships to the invasion of Cardassia alone.

Of course, a fleet of 1500 -mostly 80 year old KBOPs- is far less impressive than a fleet of 500 Romulan Warbirds.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

- posted      Profile for Grand Admiral Thrawn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen no figures to suggest the Klingon military commited that many ships to the invasion of Cardassia, Dax says 'we're talking over a hundred ships in the first wave alone, all in all they've commited over a third of their millitary'

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Martok says he's sending 1500 ships in a season seven episode.
I believe he says it's a "third of the entire fleet".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Grand Admiral Thrawn
Member # 1490

Nah he doesn't, he just says he has 1500 ships ready for deployment, the serious lack of decent television means I only watch ths same DVD's over and over these days!

--------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(There are many good shows on TV. More than in recent memory, at least for me personally.)
Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I once did numbers for a pre and post Dominion War fleet, and all I came out was about 6,500 ships. The problem was that I was using already established classes (meaning shown on screen). Each class on average had hundreds of ships in each fleet while at the same explain why ships like those in Wolf 359 and the Ambassador class were not shown in the war.

Another problem I found was trying to explain how Starfleet could have survived the war, I came up with a maximum ship production a year of about 300 ships. That's impressive but not when hundreds of ships are being destroyed. Also, I found that how did the Dominion make roughly 20,000 to 30,000 ships in less than three years? I counted about 60 ships in the few times the Dominion were shown coming out of the wormhole.

If thousands of ships were coming out of the wormhole each time, I think Starfleet would have mined the wormhole awhole lot sooner. Imagine if they just mined the mouth of the wormhole as soon as the Cardassians joined the Dominion. All Starfleet would have to worry about is the relatively small Dominion fleet and the Cardassian fleet. It would have been a whole lot simpler if they just did that.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps