Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Defiant's Torpedo Launchers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Defiant's Torpedo Launchers
SwSmith
Member # 1319

- posted      Profile for SwSmith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok! How many torpedo launchers dose the Defaint-class have? This is what the DS9 Technical Manual said. "Two torpedo launchers are embedded within the upper forward nacelle cowling" I'm not sure where this is. The MSD shows two aft and one fwd launcher in the nose of the ship. On the show, they fire from the targeting sensors, at lest thats what the technical manual said.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Onscreen, there are two forward launchers that fire from those "targeting sensors" nad the ship is supposed to also havetwo aft launchers (mentioned riefly in WOTW and elsewhere), so despite the off MSD, I'd say it has four.

Wes' MSD in DAC is much nicer anyway.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's an aft torpedo that the Defiant fired against the Lakota.

Here's where it came from.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly right for the first picture!

There should be two aft-facing in about the same positions: that pic of the Defiant firing on the Lakota does not make too much sense to me.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
agreed. it looks like its coming from the belly of the beast

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Additionally, i might suggest visiting the old MaximumDefiant website, it's pretty comprehensive in that crazed fanboy kind of way.

--------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe the Defiant has also launched a probe from the same forward emplacement that the phasers are shown firing from just below the deflector. Not the first time a ship has fired phasers from a probe launcher.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The torps are coming from those two slivers on its "shoulders".

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be precise, I belive the launchers above those targeting sensor blister thingies only fire Q-torps.
IIRC Pho-torps have only ever been seen emerging from the aft/ventral area as shown above. Not counting the forward probe launcher on the nose, I don't remember if that was ever seen to launch a warhead.

In regards to the position of the "aft" launchers, is there a rule that says that pho-torps can't be drop launched? I mean the do have their own propultion do they not? Ok the lack of an EM rail does reduce their reletive velocity and effective range, but it's good enough for the kind of close quarters engagement that we've witnessed with the Lakota, Mirror Neg'Var and the huge Jem'Hadar Battleship.

On a side note, isn't that also where we saw the self-replicating mines being deployed from?

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aban Rune:
Not the first time a ship has fired phasers from a probe launcher.

this is best imagined said with grave seriousness..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
In regards to the position of the "aft" launchers, is there a rule that says that pho-torps can't be drop launched?

The Centaur "drop laiunched" it's Q-Torp, so it's possible.
I just figured the aft launchers were those two red dots at the ship's aft (though those could also be the impulse echaust).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always assumed those were indeed Impulse engines, regardless of the MSD. That aft structure which the tech manual claims to be the location of the impulse engines looks much more like a set of docking umbilical and connection hard points.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

...or the aft launchers. [Wink]

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Well, visual evidence to the contrary, but it's possible.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps