Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Best Fleet Chart? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The Best Fleet Chart?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be happy with black-and-white line schematics if it meant consistency.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Irishman
Member # 1188

- posted      Profile for Irishman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andrew, have you tried Gilso's B & W schematics? They look pretty consistent to me.

--------------------
This is just fun...it's not life...keep this in mind and we'll all enjoy it much more

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if you simply isolate a background layer, it should be child's play to flick the background on and off with a toggle you know...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
quote:
A good comparison chart ought to use "schematics" rather than "photographs" for clarity's sake, right?
Oh, absolutely. Nothing annoys me more than the occasional detailed images of various ships that would show up where one half the ship would be in total darkness since to some bizarre compulsion to have "realistic" lighting effects.
That leaves out everything from ST:The Magazine.
Their own fleet chart was the most laughably bad thing I've ever seen published.
Really- it's incredibly bad, and includes 65 meter long Federation Fighters.
Fortunately, it was only in the very last issue of the mag.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, only, or at least largely, because they were the only ones publishing such material. As far as the rest of your complaints go, I can't really speak to those. The ships looked fine, you just couldn't see all of them.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About the shading thing: I'm just selfish in that regard- I want clear images for modeling references.
Today's quest is a definitive New Orleans schemtic that I can scale for scratch-building a model.
sounds like that'd be a simple matter, but I'm having to adjust for discrepancies in the studio model pics (what few there are).

Really, I just want Sternbach to be chained to a art desk untill we have definitive schematics on all ships shown in all the series from all angles.

Is that so much to ask for?

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not at all Jason... I'm up for that happening! [Big Grin] Bring in the chain! [Big Grin]

Re: Gilso - I didn't think his site was around anymore?

Anyone got a scan of this Fact Files chart?

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Here's a mirror of GIslo's old site, it's missing all the Star Wars stuff and the dedication where he says I'm his inspiration....
http://www.strekschematics.utvinternet.com/index.html

Yet another talented guy we gotta kidnap and put to work...

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...

http://www.strekschematics.utvinternet.com/fleetchart/mainfleet/mainfleetside.jpg

...seems to disagree, in some cases, with Bernd.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

I mentioned the Sabre's size being based on the misprint from the DS9TM (a couple of years back) to him and he mentioned that it was "on his to do list" or something but I guess it was not to be.
On the nice 11x17" print I made of that, I corrected that small issue.

It's really odd to see a Warbird and the Dominion Battleship so huge when next to DS9.....I agree with his figures there though.

Strange that he chose to add the tug in there: of all the ship designs, he add in something with one second of screen-time.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well despite the fact that he acknowledges "I have my own doubts about some of the ship measurements in that book [DS9 Tech Manual]."

I am still somewhat disturbed by the madness that must have overcame him to lead to such size dissimilarities of his 87m Rom TOS BoP -vs- Bernds 131m, and his 68m Jem'Hadar Attackship -vs- Bernds 95m.

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
I tend to agree but what I REALLY want (and started to do one rainy day in Photoshop) is to have the Fed ships scaled all along the left of the chart, the advasary ships all along the right side (both fleets facing towards the center of some 24x36" canvas) and a Borg Cube (with Sphere) directly in the center.

The Borg cube alone, if scaled 1pix/1m, would covert out to be around 30 inches x 30 inches. If you were to go much less than that...say 2pix/1m or less all of your smaller ships, ie BoPs, would be specks in comparison. I couldn't see throwing anything bigger than a Warbird on the chart and just stick to the sphere.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

I'd prefer DS9 to be bigger in relation to those ships.

We've seen the Enterprise and a big Jemmie cruiser docked at DS9... oh and a Nebbie - all with ease.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Uh.....no on the Nebbie from the opening credits: that's WAAAAY too small in relation to the station.
The Jemmie cruiser was parked at the lower pylon and (someone gimmie a screencap!) is absolutely frikkin huge compared with the station.

I gotta go with Bernd's sizes for just about everything shipwise.....though the Jemmie Battleship is realy that huge.
It occurs to me that we never see a Jemmie cruiser or battleship destroyed.
Ever.
Closest is the Defiant's satrafinng run down a cruiser's back in SOA (after the klingons show up).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Uh.....no on the Nebbie from the opening credits: that's WAAAAY too small in relation to the station.

But we've seen the Enterprise/Odyssey docked at an upper pylon and we've seen the Leeds and the Prometheus and the one where the Doctor who beat Bashir at the Academy arrives and thinks he was an Andorian - docked at a lower pylon.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps