Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Remotely Interesting Tech! ["Babel One" Spoilers] (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Remotely Interesting Tech! ["Babel One" Spoilers]
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Saying the Romulans couldn't have had FTL drive in the war is a joke. Remember how the Klingons outgunned the Enterprise was when it didn't have warp drive?
TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heck, DS-9 only had thrusters and it managed to go FTL, a quarter of a light-year.. why couldn't a Romulan ship that had 'simple impulse power'?

The warp field is the key... look at the Warbirds in TNG.. they didn't have a M/MA warp core, they had some sort of artificial singularity... implying totally different ways to make a warp field.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whafook? Whachoo talkin' about, Willis?

DS9 used its thrusters for propulsion maybe TWICE in the whole series, and it's hardly any fraction of a light year to get to the Denorios Belt.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a few light hours, maybe.
HerbShrump
Member # 1230

- posted      Profile for HerbShrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Romulans had to have FTL before the War. They should have had FTL when they left Vulcan. It would have been cool if they'd have given the Romulans an alternate sourse of FTL like soliton wave riding or jumpgates or one of those "slingshot arrays" like was seen in Voyager.

That way the Romulans could have had FTL without their ships necessarially being FTL equipped.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*ahem*

Hence why I said DEAD DEAD DEAD issue.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheWoozle:
Heck, DS-9 only had thrusters and it managed to go FTL, a quarter of a light-year.. why couldn't a Romulan ship that had 'simple impulse power'?

The warp field is the key... look at the Warbirds in TNG.. they didn't have a M/MA warp core, they had some sort of artificial singularity... implying totally different ways to make a warp field.

On both of these I'm going to have to mention a little detail. I don't remember DS9 going FTL, I remember it getting up to impulse speeds by creating a subspace bubble and pushing the thrusters to max.

On the Warbirds, they make a warp field the exact same way that the E-D does except for the power source. The process before plasma interacts with the warp field coils can be different, but the process afterwards is a straight forward process. How they create the plasma is of no concern to the process, only that more higher energy plamsa = more speed.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps