Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Crazy Ivana Tenchle! ["Divergence" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Crazy Ivana Tenchle! ["Divergence" Spoilers]
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Hollow Pursuits". It was the first Barkley episode, too.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did anyone else think this episode had more than its fair share of things that just didn't make sense?

1. Trip had to climb the tether between the ships by hand, rather than reeling him in or giving him some kind of jet-pack to zip along it.

2. While Trip is on the tether, neither he nor it feels the effects of the movement of the ships. Yet, as soon as the tether breaks free, the equipment spilling out of the hangar slows down and falls behind the ships.

3. The Klingon subroutines were designed to measure the external speed of the ship, rather than the speed at which the engines were operating.

4. Exposing a human to a Levodian virus with human DNA causes the human to grow Klingon forehead bones.

5. The plague has been eliminated, but they're still going to inject the entire healthy Klingon empire with the cure, just to explain why there are no ridges in TOS.

By the way, Harris said "article" 14, not "chapter".

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That'd be "Hollow Pursuits", the first one with Barclay. Memorable for the moment when, upon learning that the ship is warping uncontrolled and about to explode, Reg and Geordi find a possible solution then WALK CASUALLY to the cargo bay to confirm their hypothesis...

My problem was with the point that Columbia's warp envelope was around both ships. At that point, could not Columbia, which had full control of its field, simply drop them BOTH out of warp?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't like this one. The whole plot about the ship having to SPEED through space, keeping its SPEED over warp five, and if its SPEED dropped, it would explode, reminded me of a film. I think it was called "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

And it felt so tacked-on! If they'd lost that bit, and added the last twenty minutes of the ep to "Affliction," you'd have had a special hour-long ep that, with ads, could have occupied a 90-minute slot. Filler, total filler, and nicked from an Airport film to boot. The one with Charlton Heston in.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So S31 predates the Federation... One wonders how they got their way into the modern charter.
Possibly some blanket provision that all previous Earth institutions are continued.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And truly, I *still* don't see how this solves the "continuity problems" (or rather what weren't really continuity problems until now) such as Sulu not noticing/being surprised by Kang's changed appearance between "Day of the Dove" (TOS) and "Flashback" (VGR) but Bashir, et. al. being so terribly shocked about the smooth-heads in "Trials and Tribble-ations" (DS9). The change *could* have been common knowledge, thus explaining Sulu's nonchalance...but then why wouldn't the DS9 folks (primarily Bashir, who really should if it were documented) know about it also?

I tell you, this mess should have been left alone! [Mad]

And in respect to Section 31, Sloan always said they were "part of the original Starfleet charter."

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. The engines were building up plasma, and the only way to releive the build-up was through high warp speeds. They had to purge the virus. To do that, they had to shut the computer down. If they slow down before shutting down the computer, boom. If they shut down the computer before slowing down, I don't know, their warp field destabilizes or something. So they need to keep expending plasma, without actually controlling their own warp field. Or something. It can be explained away, if you really really work at it.

And I don't believe they ever said they were injecting EVERYONE with the virus. At the end, they said tens of millions would have no cranial ridges and be ostracized. That implies that the majority STILL HAVE RIDGES. At least at this point. If they fail to contain the virus, it's possible they eventually have to administer the cure to everyone.

As for Archer getting ridges, remember, this virus was spreading mutations originally designed to create Klingon augments. Tell me, is the "accelerate someone's metabolism so they create more antibodies" thing a common plot? Because they did the exact same thing to Boone once in EFC.

Now I wonder if the Romulans come down with the same bug...

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
" Don't know how they're going to run it for 'Demons' and beyond, though."

Isn't "Demons" the penultimate episode, though? There's not much beyond to work with. Personally, I think it could be interesting if he wasn't back onboard at the end of the series.

I, of course, had to work right on through the syndicated airing of the show today.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I missed it too, so my question is: How did the Columbia catch up with the Enterprise? Was the 'C' that close behind at the end of last episode or is it that much faster? (From what I have read, 'C' helped 'E' drop out of "high" warp, correct?)

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No explanation given. NX-01 was "Speed"-ing away at Warp 5.2 (and shaking apart). So presumably NX-02 can actually go to wf 5.2+ safely.

This was also one of those episodes that probably makes very little sense at all to the casual viewer (if there is still such a thing).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No kidding. They didn't even do a "last time on Star Trek: Enterprise" prologue for this one. And, not to harp on excessively but coming from the furthest opposite side of "casual viewer" as can be, I still got the feeling at far too many points that what I was watching made very little sense, if any at all.

I remembered the other tech gripe that I had, as well. Why the hell does everyone have shields except us? I liked the idea that it was a technology we got from the Andorians in the alliance, but the KLINGONS have them too? And Columbia still uses polarized hull plating?

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
No explanation given. NX-01 was "Speed"-ing away at Warp 5.2 (and shaking apart). So presumably NX-02 can actually go to wf 5.2+ safely.

Just because the E couldn't slow down doesn't mean they weren't able to alter course... I assumed they were both warping towards each other at warp 5.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
No kidding. They didn't even do a "last time on Star Trek: Enterprise" prologue for this one. -MMoM [Big Grin]

Well I got a 'previously on Star Trek: Enterprise' - it was narrated by T'Pol/Jolene Blalock.

OK - I'm not going to look TOO closely into the tech of this episode.

1. I did wonder why they just didn't blow the tether on the Columbia and then reel Trip in. Although it was an interesting sequence and I liked how the camera panned around to get the Enterprise view point.

2. I liked the high speed zoom in through the ship - I think it was on the Columbia.

3. I don't think ALL the Klingons ended up with the human DNA - the numbers mentioned were "millions". There were only a number of colonies affected - and Fleet Admiral Krell's ship - he was there to eradicate those colonies. (woo go Phlox!) So The only ones who have the alterations are going to be those people. There were most probably normal Klingons in TOS - we just saw 'humanised ones'.

4. I liked the Fleet Admiral's ship - I'm sure that is new!

5. I loved the shot with the Fleet Admiral's ship far below firing on the colony, shown against the planet - very nice.

I also thought while watching it about Archer - Human, Vulcan, Klingon - what next!?! [Big Grin]

To SUM this episode up 9/10!!!!!!! These episodes are maintaining their VERY HIGH STANDARD! These episodes woop the arse out of 90% of Voyager episodes.

Loved it, loved it, loved it. Very well done.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I understand it, Phlox's cure didn't actually stop the virus from spreading (it still reached "Stage 1", IIRC), but it did stop it from being deadly. The side effect is that all (or most?) Augment-effects are gone. But the 'smoothness'-part of the virus is still viral. Or then again, I could've missed some lines.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But one could assume that if proper quarantine proceedures took place, then there would be normal Klingons still out there and the virus (stopped in stage 1) will remain in those infected areas.

Wasn't there some discrepency reguarding Klingons from Voyager or was it the Klingons from "The Emissary" [TNG] - they set out in TOS times... I guess they weren't 'infected' crews.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps