Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The Future Of Starships (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Future Of Starships
thesonofodin
Member # 1025

- posted      Profile for thesonofodin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's been my observations that starship development has radically changed in the last 40 years in trek. Going out of style is the traditional saucer/dorsal/secondary hull, and coming in is a more flowing, one piece type of starship. So, basically, what do you think the trend of starships will be??

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with wearing Depends at my age!!!
I'm just too lazy to get up and goto the bathroom!!!!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I say look to the Defiant in terms of being streamlined as much as possible, but a traditional saucer will be kept in most designs.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the most 'recent' ship seen (Discounting the Enterprise J and any 'possible futures beyond Nemesis) is the Prometheus.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And that sucks ass.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the very least, for the starships that retain saucer sections, the saucer sections are moving away from a circular shape. The Nebula, Galaxy, most of the Galaxy-based kitbashes, the Akira, and the Sovereign all have elliptical-shaped saucers. The Intrepid, Prometheus, Nova, Steamrunner, Sabre, and Norway all have triangular shaped saucers (or close-enough to triangular).

I also guess one could make the argument that interconnecting necks on starships is also on its way out. Aside from the Galaxy and a couple of the Galaxy-based kitbashes, the necks are gone. The Sovereign, Nebula, Nova, Prometheus, and Intrepid, while maintaining the saucer-engineering hull-nacelles configuration, lack the neck.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually it's interesting - both the 90 degree turned saucer (Voyager/Sovereign) and the 'more triangular' saucers are featured in those 'possible future designs' in the TNG Tech Manual. Maybe somthing could be inferred by combining various aspects of those ships.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Guido starships?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

?

--------------------

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well the most 'recent' ship seen (Discounting the Enterprise J and any 'possible futures beyond Nemesis) is the Prometheus.
I could have sworn the Nova came after the Prometheus, and was the last "new" design shown in the 24th century.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nope. All the Nova-class ships we've seen have registries lower than that of Voyager - they came before.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
However, they were introduced on screen after the Prometheus..

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
And that sucks ass.

The final CGI version of it sucks ass. The actual design by Sternbach looks better.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, the future designs would probably end up looking like a cross between a Defiant and a Sabre class. Integrated nacelles, no 'necks' little to no secondary hull to speak of.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I loved the Prometheus-class, I just would've wished the four nacelle pylons were jointed so that they could fold into two pairs, like on the closed S-foil X-wing.

I like the Sovereign/Nova/Prometheus family, I think they take the best traits from the Constitution- and Excelsior-class designs. I'm not sure we'll ever see any more progress in the 2390-2400 era...

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It SEEMS that higher advanced ships get away from needing to be streamlined, having more functional designs.. like borg cubes, fer'instance.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps