Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Weapons of a TOS Constitution (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Weapons of a TOS Constitution
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering that a Constitution Class will appear on Enterprise soon, I just want to be clear on what sort of weapons does the ship have. I can only recall two forward firing phasers and two photon torpedo launchers ever being used on the show. I also know of some schematics that show two pairs of phasers on either side of the ventral saucer as well as ventral torpedo launchers below the bridge dome, but these weapons were never used on the show. Has there been any speculation on weapons somewhere else on the ship? Considering Enterprise NX-01 seems to fire phasers from arbitrary points on its hull, their going to need to do better than 2 forward phasers for a connie-class.
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be helpful: http://flare.solareclipse.net/cgi2/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/6/2116.html

It's an earlier thread on the weapons that the original Enterprise had.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

armageddon
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
information about the weapons compliment of the constitution class was kept vague so that they could invent new weapons and placements when ever the opertunity arose but never did so heres what i know from the star trek fact files
sulu could aim and fire the weapons from the helmsmans position
the enterprise had 2 phaser banks fitted to the underside of her saucer section just above the sensor dome
she also had a torpedo tube but its location is not mentioned and can not be seen on an of the stills i have from the show but she did fire torpedos from the underside of the saucer she only had the one because she only fired one torpedo at a time
hope that helps

IP: Logged
Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks. You know i've always accepted the kindness of strangers:)
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But we know from dialogue that the Enterprise, at least, had multiple tubes. And I don't see how we can tell how many phaser banks it had, but, again, per dialogue, there were more I think than two.

One wonders how this will be handled should the Defiant have to shoot at anyone (as I imagine it will). I wouldn't mind retractable weapons ports, myself. Something that looked a bit like a cross between the NX-01's phase cannons and the refit 1701's banks would be, as I hear the kids outside always saying, sweet, at least in my opinion. Since the phasers get less and less "gunlike" as time goes on, having something a bit like the refit turrets only with barrels would seem to suggest an intermediate stage.

Incidently, this is the sort of question Timo should be all over. Has anyone heard from him lately?

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A nice compromise between the NX-01 and the Connie would be to have the hemisphere phaser emitters of the TOS Connie retract into the hull when not in use.

I also think the Defiant could have some rear-facing weaponry to distinguish it from the Enterprise (which seems to have nothing covering the aft quarter).

After all, we did not see too much of the Defiant onscreen in TOS. [Wink]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

thesonofodin
Member # 1025

- posted      Profile for thesonofodin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree Jason about needing to be different from Enterprise. Retracting phasers would make the Defiant look too old, not contemporary with all Connie's.

--------------------
There is nothing wrong with wearing Depends at my age!!!
I'm just too lazy to get up and goto the bathroom!!!!

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So what's the score? I havn't gotten around to seeing IaMD yet, so I still don't know how beefed up the defiant is.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$$$ Spoilers for "In a Mirror Darkly, Part 2" below.

Well, the Defiant used two forward facing phasers and two aft facing phasers. She also used a forward photon torpedo launcher and an aft photon torpedo launcher.

The forward phasers were on the ventral surface of the primary hull above the the ring around the lower sensor dome (which is where they appeared to be fired from on the original Enterprise). There were two tiny protrusions there. The aft phasers came from two identical tiny protrusions mounted above the hangar deck on either side of the dome/beacon. The forward torpedoes seemed to be fired from the ring around the lower sensor dome on the ventral surface of the primary hull. The aft torpedoes appeared to be fired from the beacon/dome above the hangar deck. Both the phaser blasts and the torpedoes were blue, if you're interested.

There are pictures in the "In a Mirror Darkly, Part 2" tech thread in this forum.

$$$ Spoiler for "In a Mirror Darkly, Part 2" above.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very interested, thanks Siegfried. I'll have a shufty and see if I can find the photos.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A "shufty?" Oh, come off it! And then, what? You'll 'ead up the apple and pears to put on your whistle and toot, guv'nor? As Senior British Officer here at Stalag Flare III, I am shocked and appalled. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've said "shuftie" before, although I spelt it like that. And you are only officer of the ginger brigade. Which I guess includes TGB. Have fun.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

I always thought it was whistle and flute. Anyway, I'd rather be off to the old rub-a-dub than up the apples and pears, but that's me.

Moving swiftly on, the new and improved Defiant certainly makes up for my unfortunate use of colloquialisms. I can�t wait for channel 4 to catch up with the rest of the world � I think this Sundays episode is Hatchery. D'oh! Damn landlords, not letting us get cable�

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I've said 'shuftie' before, although I spelt it like that."

He has. Twice.

That second one is scary, though. He and I both used smileys. NOT EVEN FOUR YEARS AGO.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, get a room already.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps