Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » How does a starship stop? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: How does a starship stop?
Capt_Frank_Hollister
Member # 1639

- posted      Profile for Capt_Frank_Hollister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An RCS would not be sufficient. Imagine this scenario:
You turn on a SSF to lower the effecive mass of the ship. Then you turn on your impulse engines (essentially a fusion rocket) and your ship moves very fast. Fine. Then you want to stop so you turn off the SSF, your ship is effectively more massive, so it slows down. Good. Problem is, even though you are travelling slower, since the ship is now more massive (effectively) the ship still has the SAME momentum, no change there... That means that you still need an equal force to stop the ship as it took to get it moving, this is from the impulse engines. The RCS will not be able to produce nearly the same thrust as the impulse engines and would not stop the ship (unless you had a very long burn).

That's why I still think something like the IDF still needs to be involved somehow. You need a device that actually reduces the kinetic energy of the ship without producing an equal but opposite thrust.

--------------------
If the crew discover I'm really just Dennis the donut boy, I'm finished.

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Capt_Frank_Hollister:
An RCS would not be sufficient. Imagine this scenario:
That's why I still think something like the IDF still needs to be involved somehow. You need a device that actually reduces the kinetic energy of the ship without producing an equal but opposite thrust.

What about using the sheilds to vector the
thrust? I recall reading about that somewhere
besides the ST:TNG tech manual.

Christopher

Capt_Frank_Hollister
Member # 1639

- posted      Profile for Capt_Frank_Hollister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a possibility, but one I'm not particularly fond of for one main reason: That's the sort of thing that should be corroborated by on-screen evidence; my scheme is essentially "invisible" and thus would fit better with on-screen evidence.

There's also a more general problem I have with the switching-off-the-SSF-to-slow-down scheme. In order to slow the ship down from relativistic speeds to something that could in any way be considered "slow" would require an effective change in mass of many orders of magnitude. I had always been under the impression that the SSF only reduced the ship's effective mass by less than 50% and not more than 90% (figures I just pulled out of my... well, never mind). I figured it just made the ship a bit less massive, not light as a feather.

--------------------

ChristopherT
Member # 1634

- posted      Profile for ChristopherT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's a possibility, but one I'm not particular fond of for one main reason: That's the sort of thing that should be corroborated by on-screen evidence; my scheme is essentially "invisible" and thus would fit better with on-screen evidence.

I agree that Occam's razor holds, I just lack
really good data on those systems.

I'm looking at McMaster's bridge blueprints and
several systems are presented for the helmsman
but no specifics. There are controls for stop,
three rates forward and three reverse. There's
also an indication that Manuevering is a seperate
system as are Propulsion, Communications, Sensors,
Weapons, and Computer systems.

Thanks!

Christopher

Neutrino 123
Member # 1327

- posted      Profile for Neutrino 123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It's a possibility, but one I'm not particularly fond of for one main reason: That's the sort of thing that should be corroborated by on-screen evidence; my scheme is essentially "invisible" and thus would fit better with on-screen evidence.

I like the forcefield idea since it explains the wierd positioning of impulse engines on some ships. Note that in the various brigs, air does not show up on the forcefields, so perhaps thrust wouldn't either. Of course, the forcefields would need to be rather powerful to contain the thrust, but combined with the subspace field, it would presumably be managable.

quote:
:
There's also a more general problem I have with the switching-off-the-SSF-to-slow-down scheme. In order to slow the ship down from relativistic speeds to something that could in any way be considered "slow" would require an effective change in mass of many orders of magnitude. I had always been under the impression that the SSF only reduced the ship's effective mass by less than 50% and not more than 90% (figures I just pulled out of my... well, never mind). I figured it just made the ship a bit less massive, not light as a feather.

On the first DS9 episode the station moved quite a bit with weak thrusters. The time without the subspace field would be two months, but with the field, the movement was fairly quick (under a day, but I don't remember exactly). This means that the subspace field reduced the mass by at least two orders of magnitude, and probably quite a bit more.

--------------------
Neutrino 123 (pronounced Neutrino One-Two-Three)

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

You turn on a SSF to lower the effecive mass of the ship. Then you turn on your impulse engines (essentially a fusion rocket) and your ship moves very fast. Fine. Then you want to stop so you turn off the SSF, your ship is effectively more massive, so it slows down. Good. Problem is, even though you are travelling slower, since the ship is now more massive (effectively) the ship still has the SAME momentum, no change there...

Why would a ship slow down if its more massive?
Capt_Frank_Hollister
Member # 1639

Ok, so I finally pulled out a physics book for the technical reason.

kinetic energy=(1/2)m(v-squared)
m=mass; v=velocity

When the SSF of a ship is turned off, the ship maintains the same kinetic energy but its effective mass is increased. Using the above equation, for this to be true, the velocity of the object must be reduced in order for the now more massive object to have the same kinetic energy. If the velocity of the object did not decrease, then it would gain kinetic energy from an undefined source and thus violate the first law of thermodynamics (energy cannot be created nor destroyed, in this case created).

--------------------

Capt_Frank_Hollister
Member # 1639

The more I think I about it the more I like the IDF scheme. What we need to stop the ship (without turning the ship around a firing the impulse engines the other way) is some device that can bleed te kinetic energy (KE) of the ship of into another form. The most likely interface would be some treknological field projected over the entire ship, like the IDF. Thinking of inirtia as an object's resistance to a change in its motion unless acted upon by a force proprtional to the change in motion and the objects mass, in bleeding off the ship's KE we really are dampening the ships inirtia, at least in effect. We would be changing its motion (slowing it down) without exerting a force, a motion that would otherwise be maintained by its inirtia. IDF really seems to fit the bill.

Also, if it were the case that the kinetic energy could be transfered to a working fliud on board the ship, perhaps in the form of heat (and maybe converted and pumped into the EPS system), this scheme would have significant advantages over simply turning the ship around and firing the engines. Why? Because you would actually be recovering a good deal of the energy that you expended getting the ship going. It's like modern electric hybrid cars that use a generator attached to the wheels to recharge the batteries of the car when breaking, energy which initially came from those same batteries. Thus this scheme would be the prefered method of slowing and stopping the ship rather then expending more energy (that would be lost) in firing the engines again.

Finally, if the IDF was applied asymetricly across the ship, it might explain why ships in Star Trek turn more like cars or airplanes rather than how one would expect them to behave in frictionless space. (And this method would, again, conserve energy).

Thoughts?

--------------------

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're trying to make it realistic (i.e. considering things like conservation of energy, momentum, etc) just remember that since motion is relative, any trick you can use to "stop" can also be used to "start".

If you have a Plot Device that can slow a ship from 0.5c to 0c in time T using energy E, then simply by changing your reference frame (putting the camera somewhere else, as it were) you can use the same device to accelerate from 0c to 0.5c in time T with energy E.

Most Star Trek physics can only be salvaged by appealing to a privileged reference frame - this is probably another one of those cases where you just have to assume coming to rest with a special frame takes far less energy than accelerating relative to the special reference frame. Once you've established that, any sort of magical device or field can work.

Interestingly, this is the opposite assertion of the "subspace anchor" theory in dominance before the TNG:TM came out. At that time, the concern was how ships slowed from warp speed, and the idea was that the ship needed some active mechanism to overcome "warp inertia". Now it is generally assumed that a ship must expend constant energy to stay in warp, otherwise it will revert to relativistic speeds.

--------------------
http://www.calormen.com/Star_Trek/FAQs/

Capt_Frank_Hollister
Member # 1639

True. Star Trek, and most people's intuitions for that matter, generally apeal to an "objective" reference frame which doesn't really exist. I think that that object reference frame is itself a "Plot Device," as you call it. If you want, you could call the subspace field this this objective reference frame. In many way the subspace field has always been analogous to the theorized (and disproven) "ether." Star Trek basically renamed it and started assigning all kinds of magical properties to it.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mucus:
quote:

You turn on a SSF to lower the effecive mass of the ship. Then you turn on your impulse engines (essentially a fusion rocket) and your ship moves very fast. Fine. Then you want to stop so you turn off the SSF, your ship is effectively more massive, so it slows down. Good. Problem is, even though you are travelling slower, since the ship is now more massive (effectively) the ship still has the SAME momentum, no change there...

Why would a ship slow down if its more massive?
It would'nt, but the lower mass would allow RCS to slow the ship.

Personally, I think the Impulse Engines affect spacetime in whatever direction their field is tuned to -regardless of which direction the glowy vent is pointing.
It's NOT a rocket providing conventional thrust- if it were, landing shuttles would be nailed by it's wake on almost every class of starship.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Capt_Frank_Hollister
Member # 1639

Ah, but they are essentially rockets, with vectored thrust to boot. Landing shuttles would only be harmed if the impulse emgines were actually in the middle of a burn.

And turning off the SSF and increasing the effective mass of the ship would indeed slow a ship down. Otherwise, the ship would violate the first law of thermodynamics. See my post about five posts up using the equation for kinetic energy It just wouldn't be able to bring it to a stop. My post at the top of the page explains why the RCS would not be able to stop the ship.

And I don't mean to harp on it, but the impulse engines didn't have SSF generators until teh Ambassador class.

--------------------

Albertus
Member # 1635

- posted      Profile for Albertus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I originally posted this topic, I didn't know if there was an 'official' method for stopping a starship. Since I have been talking to Ed Whitefire for the interview, I have found out that there was, but you will have to wait for the interview. [Razz]

That said, I think that there have been a number of good theories put forward. [Smile]

[Big Grin]

Capt_Frank_Hollister
Member # 1639

Excellent. I look forward to it. Mind you, there are varrying degrees of "official" in Star Trek fanon.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Official" is whatever I say an any given moment. [Wink]

...and no, the Impulse engines are not rockets: we see them glowing even when the ship is at full stop and not all ships display any impulse vent (The Nebula, Hediki, many freighters and shuttles, all Romulan ships)

If they were "rockets" or directed thrust, why are some impulse systems blue?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps