Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » The new tech manual - what do you think?

Author Topic: The new tech manual - what do you think?
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, after all that time, I still remember my password. [Big Grin]

Haynes USS Enterprise Manual

Got mine yesterday. With all the JJ-Universe crap going on, it's nice to see that they ('they' as in Okuda, this is a licensed thing, apparently) still do this stuff for us old schoolers. And I thought this kind of literature was dead.

It covers everything from NX01 to 1701E. The part on the D reads like an updated Sternbach Tech Manual, same goes for the 1701/A parts. B and C are a little light, but I suppose there's not much to say. Hardcover, shiny full-color images and renderings, I have to say. And the errors are... well, on par with the previous Tech Manuals. Not the Star Charts/Starship Spotter crapfest. Text reminded me of the Fact Files; why give a small, precise chart of stats if you can have a massive text with virtually identical content? [Embarrassed]

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the cover is very uninspiring. I mean... black and white image, reflex blue cover, and... Helvetica? I hope the inside's prettier.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Clearly you've never used any Haynes automotive repair manuals. [Wink] I have a fair-sized library of them. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Um. No.
Amasov Prime
lensfare-induced epileptic shock
Member # 742

- posted      Profile for Amasov Prime     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
trekmovie has a review with pics: http://trekmovie.com/2010/11/01/library-computer-review-haynes-star-trek-uss-enterprise-owners-manuarl/

--------------------
"This is great. Usually it's just cardboard walls in a garage."

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While its nice that it discusses all the Enterprises of the Primeverse, it would be nice if they had also mentioned the Defiant and Voyager, and some of the more prominent background ships like the Excelsior or the Nebula. I would really love a Star Trek equivalent of the Star Wars Essential Guide to Vehicle and Vessels, filled with the many (canon) ships of the Star Trek universe.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yikes. The text reads as if they lifted right off of wikipedia. Even the old fact files felt at least a little more in depth and coherent than that. What a wasted opportunity.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps