Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » More DS9 kitbashy goodness! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: More DS9 kitbashy goodness!
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jason, here's some answers to your questions & queries:

quote:
That Tolstoy would be kinda cool if the nacelles swept back- sorta like the New Orleans' do....or just straight out in a "T".
Actually, I was inspired by the Intrepid from ENTERPRISE; how the nacelle fronts sit on top of the saucer. Yes, you're right that they partially cover the phaser strip, but when I drew only half the phaser strip on the Akagi, it looked like the ship had a big smiley-face. So I said WTF.

quote:
What the hell is under that nacelle pylon part though?
There's something boxy between the pylon part and the second Galaxy "neck" extending upwards like the Chyenne's does...

They are actually the three rectangular "plaques" from the 3-Enterprise kit, where the decals for each ship's information goes. I glued them together and painted them black to resemble the original Excelsior's neck. They're there because I needed something to raise the pylons high enough so that the nacelle fronts touched the saucer. If I were more skilled at modelmaking, I would have cut the plaques into triangle-shapes to better match the Enterprise's neck.

quote:
Your big giveaway in the pics is the quality of the models- they just would not look that shiney and new after more than a decade.
As I said, it was never really my intention to fool anyone. Plus, after my experience with the Akagi, I didn't want to go out and buy perfectly good model kits just to turn them into ugly out-of-proportion and badly-painted kitbashes just as a joke.

quote:
Smart to use a sub model, though it would have worked better as a BOBW fake.
That was exactly what I was going for. Look at the side-by-side picture of the Chekov and the Ahwahnee, and then look at the pic of the Tolstoy and Ptolemy, and you'll see what I was trying to accomplish.

quote:
I still say we make something in-universe from there designs...
Well, the Tolstoy was obviously supposed to be the Rigel class, and the Ptolemy was supposed to represent the Yorkshire class.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but what does that submarine part do exactly?
What role do these ships serve in the fleet?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Yes, but what does that submarine part do exactly?
You mean the sub hulls? They are meant to be transport containers, like from the original FJ Ptolemy. I thought it was a nifty idea. You may think otherwise.

quote:
What role do these ships serve in the fleet?
The Ptolemy serves the same function as FJ's version: to be a tug or transport vessel. The Tolstoy I envisioned as a small interceptor or border patrol ship. Actually, I was going to originally replace the Ent-D secondary hull with a Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Flying Sub to make the ship look even smaller (an idea I got from Mike Okuda himself), but I didn't have time to order it before April 1st.
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A flying sub with a bigger (1400th) bridge module would have worked nicely.

I prefer the idea of a transport to a cargo ship for this: by TNG, cargo should be just whatever you feed into the replicator and possibly antimatter.
Thta sub partcould be lined with big cruise ship windows and made to look like an old passenger liner.

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So any new designs on the "official" front?
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

quote:
A flying sub with a bigger (1400th) bridge module would have worked nicely.
Both models already have the 1/1400 bridge module. And I think my next kitbash (once I get some extra spending cash) is going to be a TNG Kelvin, using similar 1/2500 Ent-D saucer bottoms, but with a thicker piece of strip styrene, the Flying Sub for the secondary hull, and a 1/1400 nacelle to match the honking-huge Kelvin nacelle, but in the scale of the Kyushu, so that the ship is really small. Would you know where I could buy an Ent-D bridge module that's even larger than the 1/1400 scale, or would I have to make something myself?

quote:
That sub part could be lined with big cruise ship windows and made to look like an old passenger liner.
I can still do that. I only used a magic marker to draw the windows on the saucer [Smile]

quote:
So any new designs on the "official" front?
Dan Curry told me that his model is packed in a box in his storage unit, which he probably won't be getting to until mid-May at the earliest, so we'll all have to be patient about that.
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably have to build it. I don't think there's a 1/1000 Ent-D (yet).

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

You could always attempt to re-create the Mars Defense Perimiter ship design....I dont think anyone's pulled that off yet.
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

Meh. That'd be boring to me. I'm much more interested in kitbashing Ent-D parts. The Galaxy class has so many different possibilities and combinations IMHO.
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could make a GAL version of that FUCKING HIDEOUSLY AWFUL Mann-class design; just stump the nacelles into the saucer impulse deck notches. What about a blended nacelle design, something akin to Saber, Steamrunner, or Zandura?
Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mann-class? pics or linkie for reference?

NM i googled it. http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Mann_class

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

This is why Trek comics are painful to read.
Nice registry there...

fuck's sake
What's worse, that's one of the better starship images in comics- most are impossibly lame- often with flames shooting from the ends of nacelles.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mars Needs Women
Sexy Funmobile
Member # 1505

- posted      Profile for Mars Needs Women     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lol, I was looking up Star Trek toys on Memory Alpha the other day, and I came across this cheap plastic Excelsior toy from AMT that was labeled NCC-1799.
Johnny
Member # 878

- posted      Profile for Johnny     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite the Frankenstein fleet, but John Eaves posted some photos of the K-7 station the other day and in the background you can see a few AMT/ERTL Reliant and Excelsior kits that look like they could've been used in the DS9 fleet shots. I can't make out the registration on the Excelsior, but the Mirandas both have permutations of the Reliant's number.

FYI, both pics are nearly 2mb in size.

http://johneaves.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/untitled-11.jpg
http://johneaves.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/untitled-3jpg.jpg

--------------------
deviantArt page | Online portfolio

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

It's about time he posted more Trek-related stuff. The pinup girls are fine and all, but honestly these days I could care less about them.

I remember these shots from Drexler's blog, although he only had one pic that showed the other Reliant models, and it wasn't clear at all. These are a bit better, but still can't make out the name/reg for the Excelsior, or the names/regs for the Reliants other than 9481 and 41XX (although I'm guessing by how short the names are that they're more permutations of "RELIANT" like "TRIAL" was).

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps